Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Last Chance Saloon

• 12-01-2017 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Having pretty much given up cycling 4 years ago due to new family, I'm giving it once last effort to get back on the bike in 2017 before I finally accept that perhaps my future lies with something more passive like golf. Apparently writing down your goals increases your chances of achieving them so here we go. I renewed my lapsed club membership yesterday and took out an A4 licence once again even though I had pretty much given up on the idea of racing again (there's obviously a desire to do at least one more race before quitting for good). My training technique will be pretty old school - ride when I can and mix the pace and route types up as I want. I can't ride with the club as I live over 100km from them so might have to find some riding partners closer to me.

Basic 2017 Goals:
    1. Make cycling a regular weekly activity
    2. Lose 1st
    3. Complete an A4 race - even as pack fodder
    4. Complete one 100mile ride

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭LeoD

Wk 1 (Jan 8-14)
    Super motivated on Saturday morning for my first proper ride. Left house at around 7:50am - returned to house around 7:51am due to ice on roads. Got back out around 2pm and managed 2hrs at level -1. Covered about 46k! Anyway, it was a start. Legs were buckling for last 10 mins.

Got out again on Sun morning for another 2 hour spin - this time only covered 40k - fatigue obviously setting in after previous day's exertions... Also suffered first puncture since I don't know when. Surprised myself by remembering what to do. Wobbly knees again for the last 10 mins but the endorphins must have been flowing as I even washed the bike when I got home.

Trying to do 5hrs/week for the first month so 4hrs over the weekend is grand. Rewarded my effort by eating crap on both Saturday and Sunday nights. Probably gained weight over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

LeoD wrote: »
    Rewarded my effort by eating crap on both Saturday and Sunday nights. Probably gained weight over the weekend.

I've been there. :)

Wk 2-13 (Jan 15 - Apr 08) - 60km
    So much for the great come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Its only April.
    Many lads/lasses are only starting to get miles in now.
    With the weather improving it will be easier.
    Get out regularly and get the legs turning.
    If there is a group near you see if you can tag on.
    Can make a big difference!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 on Koutoubias comments. Rather than 2 hrs x 2 at the weekend, how about trying a half hour every day. If after a week you feel OK, ramp it up to 40 minutes a day. Two hour spins when you have not been on the bike properly for awhile will just put you off. How you do that 30minutes is up to you, be it a gentle spin or a hell for leather one, its upto you. At this point, it sounds like building up the time and miles are the right starting point.

Maybe set a timer for 15 minutes and just head away from home. When the alarm goes off head home. If it feels OK, don't increase for a few days, just the same every day, increase speed, cadence, whatever you want, just stick to the 15 minutes. If you get 5 days straight without tiredness or stress, jump it to 20minutes.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I think I have an 'all or nothing' approach to cycling, no pain no gain, ride it like you stole it, push it to the max, etc, etc (working beside a company marketing protein energy drinks could be having an effect on me). I at least took the good bike out of storage, dusted her off and got her road worthy again so the last 2 spins have been relatively enjoyable, what with the ability to change gears and things like that. Plan to get a few hours in this week with the good weather. I hope once I get over the initial climatization hump, getting out more regularly will be less of a battle than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

LeoD wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. Unfortunately I think I have an 'all or nothing' approach to cycling, no pain no gain, ride it like you stole it, push it to the max, etc, etc (working beside a company marketing protein energy drinks could be having an effect on me). I at least took the good bike out of storage, dusted her off and got her road worthy again so the last 2 spins have been relatively enjoyable, what with the ability to change gears and things like that. Plan to get a few hours in this week with the good weather. I hope once I get over the initial climatization hump, getting out more regularly will be less of a battle than it is now.
    Do you have a heart rate monitor? Might be worth investing in one, I have a similar problem in that I'll just keep pushing for the duration of a ride. Stats showed I was in z4 for most of my rides (over 1hr) with peaks over 200 bpm on short steep climbs. Trying to make more of an effort to pace myself now.

You have similar type goals to myself, so best of luck and keep at it.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Do you have a heart rate monitor?
    Yes and no. I got new Garmin Edge 25 but haven't bothered to pair with my old HR strap (not sure if it's even compatible). As I said in earlier post, I'm taking the old school approach - no HR monitor, eating is cheating, drinking is for the pub only, etc. I know, there's no hope for me :D

Advertisement