Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners TRX

Options
  • 12-01-2017 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Does anyone know of any beginner only TRX classes in Dublin, northside only.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Does anyone know of any beginner only TRX classes in Dublin, northside only.

Have you considered buying one and going through the many routines online?.

I've one which I use outdoors when I can't get to the gym, they're a seriously good piece of equipment to own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cricketchick

Thanks, I had thought about that all right, but thought it might be good to do a class first, get some guidance? Are the online routines easy to follow? Any recommendations where to buy the equipment?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

There was a very good place in Fairview I think it's still there, above Chopped I think it was!

Thanks, I had thought about that all right, but thought it might be good to do a class first, get some guidance? Are the online routines easy to follow? Any recommendations where to buy the equipment?
    Thanks again.

Well a class is certainly better than training alone, I took a few for the very short time while Flyefit Coolock was opened, but outside of that you'll pick up a set second hand cheap enough.

Most of my training is centered around my Judo, and Judo competitions so my movements on the TRX replicate Judo pulling movements but disregarding they're a fantastic addition to anyone's toolbox.

I'm not sure where there are specific classes tbh and I'm a northsider too ~ I'd actually give it some consideration myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You can pick up a knockoff TRX set from AliExpress for about 1/3 of the price, OP. It's served me extremely well over the last six months. Just search for 'suspension trainer'.

• Advertisement

You can pick up a knockoff TRX set from AliExpress for about 1/3 of the price, OP. It's served me extremely well over the last six months. Just search for 'suspension trainer'.

I used to dismiss them as a fad, how wrong was I!!.

I pack mine whenever I'm away from home and going to miss training, seriously one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever bought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Elevated push ups are evil and fun

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you are going the alternate route. You'd be better off with a set rings.
    Essentially what the TRX is based on. Slightly better kit imo.

There was also a highly portable equivalent on kickstarter last year. Used paracord instead of webbing straps.

Mellor wrote: »
    If you are going the alternate route. You'd be better off with a set rings.
    Essentially what the TRX is based on. Slightly better kit imo.

There was also a highly portable equivalent on kickstarter last year. Used paracord instead of webbing straps.

I bet to differ. We had rings in a gym I train in and replaced them with TRX (which people were using in another part of the gym and ignoring the rings in the weights room).

I find them much more versatile than the rings. And they're great in so far as I pack them away in my army gear all the time, esp those times I'm away from the gym. I can hook them onto any bar, fence etc and get training straight away.

The gym today (with TRX)

406266.jpg

And a few years ago, with rings which no one really used too much.

406267.jpg

I just find the whole versatility of TRX just don't compare to rings.

The photo only shows a very tiny part of the gym, we've more TRX in another part (of the gym).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I bet to differ. We had rings in a gym I train in and replaced them with TRX (which people were using in another part of the gym and ignoring the rings in the weights room).

I find them much more versatile than the rings. And they're great in so far as I pack them away in my army gear all the time, esp those times I'm away from the gym. I can hook them onto any bar, fence etc and get training straight away.

And a few years ago, with rings which no one really used too much.

I just find the whole versatility of TRX just don't compare to rings.

To each their own. They aren't identical and maybe TRX suits what you do better.
    Personally I don't see how they are any more portable. And rings can be attached to bars on the go just as easily with a similar clip.

For me, the way TRX converges to a single strap very early makes dips a little uncomfortable at times. I find rings better for muscle ups, rolls etc. I don't do any feet suspended stuff, so not sure how rings compare to straps.

My gym has two sets of each. Both probably get equal amount of action, but the people and activities you see on each are a bit different.

This is the compact portable version I was talking about. It's more like a TRX, but very compact. A few different versions including one that packs fully inside into the handles.
    http://monkiibars.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Aldi have suspension trainers at the moment, probably a safer bet than random cheap ebay ones. €15

https://www.aldi.ie/crane-suspension-trainer/p/093964116998900

It does not surprise me that a TRX randomly hanging in a gym would get more use than rings. I reckon it would be easier to mess about on a TRX than rings, e.g. I have never used a TRX but imagine dips would be easier on it than rings for people starting out.

I guess the aldi one here is the same as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

i'm getting my straps this week, is there a good app too use at home or in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

As was mentioned above it is a preference thing.

From a practical point of view, rings allow you to do many things that you can't to on straps and almost nothing you can do on straps that can't be done on rings.

Also as straps only have a single attachment point which both straps meet in it is not possible to create stability throughout a lot of movements.

Most people are put off by rings as they do require skill to reach a decent level in using them. If you are just looking for quick simple movements then straps are good. If you have the money no harm to get both but personally due to their versatility it would be 100% rings for me.

Has anybody tried the suspension trx from Heaton sports direct

I have made up trx bands. Any ideas where I can find workout routines to print.

Advertisement