Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job - HR asking strange questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Apparently very good. A fairly large company in the financial sector. I wouldnt be bothered going through all of this for months otherwise!

Well that explains a lot :-)

It would be important for them to determine if a six month gap in employment history was time spent, on the dole, studying traveling or a resident of Mountjoy!

Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

To a potential employer gaps in employment could mean a job that didn't work out and so a potential bad reference that you may be trying to hide.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

....... wrote: »
    Im kind of failing to see why some gaps of a couple of months at a time could not be verified by phoning the employments bracketing each side of the gap rather than asking to see someones financial information?

So someone worked in McDonald's left and started working as a doctor but got fired for not being qualified and then started packing shelves in Dunnes. They submit their CV with McDonald's and Dunnes only. Would you not be interested in the job in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

Del2005 wrote: »
    So someone worked in McDonald's left and started working as a doctor but got fired for not being qualified and then started packing shelves in Dunnes. They submit their CV with McDonald's and Dunnes only. Would you not be interested in the job in the middle?

I'd give them serious kudos for initiative and promote them immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I don't really get the paranoia about gaps in CVs. Some people take a few months out between jobs for various reasons. It doesn't somehow make them incompetent or criminals.

I find some of this stuff way, way too controlling and very much coming from a US notion of wage-slave work ethic where any "lazy" periods must be punished by exclusion.

You have to take people at face value and on recent experience etc (last few years).

I have two masters, years of experience, a massive portfolio yet I had a HR department ask for my Leaving Certificate results and CAO points. I can't even remember what they were at this stage!!

There are really some "computa says no" jobsworths in HR.

These an element of trust involved in an employee employer relationship. It goes both ways.

Did you demand the company's audited accounts for the last 10 years and tax compliance certification for all the directors before you took the job?
    Logged in for the first time in two weeks because this deserves to be acknowledged for what it is. Perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Logged in for the first time in two weeks because this deserves to be acknowledged for what it is. Perfection.

Just for clarification, no, I didn't request that, though I'd imagine most of that is on the public record?? I can see where the double standard applies though.

They are, however, a well known, big player and well-respected company, so I really have no issues with them in that regard.

There is 1 job on my CV though where I worked casually for about a year before the company folded, director gambled away all the money and I never got paid. I'm having a little trouble proving I worked (subcontracted) there lol

Advertisement