Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So that's "your thing" now is it?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Meno is a person? Oh. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Tuesday 24th Oct: 5.1 miles, 3 at MP. Avg pace 8:47
    Original meno' plan had this "5 with 3" on Wednesday, but that was when DCM was on a Monday. Good job I'm on the ball otherwise I'd be resting on Sunday :)
    Ran this down the canal and back. No pigeons this time, but I did have to avoid a large dead rat under one of the bridges. Took me a good mile at MP to get into a good stride. Great when you get that feeling that you're not putting too much effort in.
    Splits: 9:19, 8:29, 8:25, 8:23, 9:20
    Loads of runners out today, quite a few wearing previous DCM tops with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice Run A and well done on remembering to alter the plan. The best of luck on Sunday I hope all goes to plan for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

You can rest on Sunday after your 3:44 A!!

The Muppet wrote: »
    Nice Run A and well done on remembering to alter the plan. The best of luck on Sunday I hope all goes to plan for you.

Thanks T.
    I still fear fading, but I just have to get past that point on the day.

• Advertisement

You can rest on Sunday after your 3:44 A!!

Er, 3:44:59. I'll need those 59 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Thanks T.
    I still fear fading, but I just have to get past that point on the day.

No room for fear, you're gonna hit your target - repeat that to yourself for 26.2 miles if necessary...

You'll have no problem finding meno, just listen out for the grumpy nordy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best Luck Sunday, your in great shape and have a good plan, think all things being equal you will hit your target.

Friday 27th Oct: 3 miles very easy at 9:58 avg.
    Last run before Sunday.

Reading denis b's log reminded me to set a B&C goal. Makes sense really.

A: <3:45
    B: <3:50
    C: <4:00

3:45 is a strange time as it's stuck between pacers. I paced myself well though in the 3/4 so it might even work to my advantage. At the moment I'm planning to start nearer the front of wave 2, behind the 3:40 pacers. I just need to be strict with myself and not try to stay with the balloons. Made a pace band to keep me on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

As a fellow Meno plan traveller, very best of luck to you on Sunday!!!
    The plan will stand to you very well.

Might see you in McG's...

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    As a fellow Meno plan traveller, very best of luck to you on Sunday!!!
    The plan will stand to you very well.

Might see you in McG's...

Thanks A, same to you. It's certainly given us a great chance of smashing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A lot of good work done here, no reason why it shouldn’t produce the result you deserve. Good luck!

Murph_D wrote: »
    A lot of good work done here, no reason why it shouldn’t produce the result you deserve. Good luck!

Thanks, same to you. Have a great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow, have a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great day tomorrow. Do meno proud :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best Tomorrow! Have a good one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Pick that out the net......great time A delighted for you! I was even nervous watching the tracker.

Pick that out the net......great time A delighted for you! I was even nervous watching the tracker.

Thanks C. To be fair the weather was pretty much perfect for it.

Sounds like a great day at the office for you, well done indeed :) look forward to reading the report!!

• Advertisement

Right, let's get this done while I remember the finer points.

Dublin Marathon 29th Oct:

This would be my third marathon.
    First was DCM '16 as one of nop98's novices where I followed the Boards plan, but ultimately didn't have the endurance to maintain a 4 hour pace. The wheels fell of around mile 16 on this one and I finished in 4:20:xx. In hindsight I shouldn't have been so hung up on a round number.
    Second was London this April. For this I followed the HH Intermediate 2 plan as I liked the idea of doing the long runs on tired legs. Sure wasn't that what I needed? Training went well, I PB'd a HM 5 weeks out without emptying the tank and thought I was a shoe-in for a sub-4. I wasn't. The wheels came off this time around mile 18 and I limped home in 4:16:43.

So, for DCM 17 I wanted a plan that upped the mileage and increased the amount of MP+ sessions. HBS started the Marathon Improvers Thread and linked to the "Meno" plan. That was the plan for me. I managed to hit pretty much all runs on the plan and really felt my endurance improving. So much so that I started with a sub-4 goal, adjusted that to 3:50 and then adjusted again to 3:45.

Race Day:

Seven double-straws of Tailwind in my flipbelt and my inhaler in my pocket. Also left a pre-made bottle of caffeine Tailwind in the kitchen for my family to take to Milltown. "I may not need it, but bring it in case I think I'm fading"

I made a pace band. There are no 3:45 pacers so I needed a pace band, and I made this one to keep me honest on the climbs, ease back a bit, save a bit. Make that time up gradually on the descents.

Miles 1, 2, 3: (8:34, 8:17, 8:33)
    OK, so the pace band is redundant. I was supposed to ease into it with 8:48, 8:39, 8:53. First thing I noticed was how quickly the field opened up compared to last year when I followed the 4 hour pacers. Feeling really strong though, really strong.
    On Manor Street I decided to stick with what I'm doing. I was confident that I could manage this race well, the Race-Series HM and the Irish 3/4 had given me that. I would run this race by feel, but run it a little faster. Plan was still to ease back on the climbs and let myself go a bit on the descents rather than try to maintain an even pace.
    At 2.5 miles I took a water bottle and added Tailwind. Took me by surprise as I was expecting it at 3 miles, but thinking back it was the same last year. I'd sip little and often for the next 3 miles.

Miles 4, 5, 6: (8:18, 8:24, 8:26)
    Into PP and up Chesterfield. Thinking back to advice received, if it didn't feel ridiculously easy for the first half, or was it 10 miles?, you've gone out too fast. I kept asking myself this. Legs still feeling amazing. Breathing really controlled. It really felt like an easy run at this stage so all good. Skipped the 5 mile water as planned.

Miles 7, 8, 9: (8:36, 8:06, 8:08)
    10k split 52:45
    Consciously eased back again on mile 7. Others didn't and I wondered if they'd suffer later. The wall of sound at Myos was amazing! I didn't properly appreciate the support last year, but I ran this bit with a massive grin. Second water stop, Operation Tailwind executed.
    Picked up the pace down Tower Road and into the park. Just really going with the flow, but still feeling strong and getting more confident. Eiffel Tower guy not there this year.

Miles 10, 11, 12: (8:06, 8:28, 8:20)
    Still feeling great. Another water/Tailwind at 9.5 miles to sip until mile 13. More amazing support in Chapelizod. Mile 11 pace doesn't really reflect how easy I took St. Laurence's hill. Looking at Garmin, I slowed it down to 9:43 pace for that one.
    Running down Sarsfield Rd I saw the 3:40 pace balloons in the distance, maybe 2 minutes ahead. Could I? Should I? I thought then, if I have the same gap, and I feel good after Clonskeagh Rd I'll give it a go. Sure I wouldn't even need to catch them as I started 30 seconds behind.

Miles 13, 14, 15: (8:21, 8:35, 8:22)
    Now I'm preparing myself for the Crumlim Rd/ Walkinstown Rd drag. Tailwind again at 13 and I then begin the drag.
    Halfway split 1:50:27
    This climb beat me before I started last year. Numerous training runs, some at MP, have tamed it though so I eased off a bit and concentrated on running easy. I knew if I was still strong, if I was still running, at mile 15/16 I would be in good shape as the next 5 flat/downhill miles offered a chance to relax a bit.

Miles 16, 17, 18: (8:14, 8:17, 8:16)
    Not too much to report here, but the miles were ticking by at an enjoyably fast pace. A few more people were walking, but way less than I noticed last year. 5th Water/Tailwind around mile 16.
    I actually love this section down Kimmage Rd/Fortfield/Templeogue Rd. I think it's the turns, each corner gives me a short point to focus on, though I didn't really need to do that today.

Miles 19, 20, 21: (8:16, 8:15, 8:24)
    Grabbed another bottle at the 19m station. Reach behind me for tailwind and realised my last 2 straws had fallen out, probably when I grabbed #5 at mile 16. Ok, no need to panic as I had a prepared bottle waiting for me at Milltown and 2 backup gels in my pocket.
    30K split 2:36:42
    Running down the hill to Milltown, I was holding a nice pace and amazingly feeling really good still. Spotted my wife and kids just past the Luas Bridge as arranged, massive smile and a quick hello from me as I grabbed the bottle from her. Backup plans do work! I let myself slow down a little again as I took the small but steep bump before heading down and turning onto Clonskeagh Rd.

Miles 22, 23, 24: (8:39, 8:22, 8:19)
    Slowed the pace on mile 22 and took it easy, but still running, up "heartbreak hill". I allowed myself to pick up the pace again down Fosters and this continued all the way, N11, bridge, N11, Nutley Lane. Grabbed a bottle of water at the bottom of Nutley before turning for the last 2 and a bit miles.

Miles 25, 26, 26.35 (Garmin): (8:38, 9:19, 3:09)
    Where did that breeze come from and why is it in my face? As soon as I turned the corner I knew this was going to be a tough finish. For the first time my legs felt heavy and I was slowing down. I was determined to RUN a whole marathon though and knew I had plenty of time in the bank for my 3:45 target. More people walking now, way more.
    Passing the 800m left sign gave me a kick. I didn't actually make a decision to fight the pain, but the finish line and crowd had a massive effect.

Crossed the line, arms in the air, in 3:41:41 (8:28 avg). A 35 minute PB, I couldn't really have hoped for more.
    Met the family straight after so I didn't make it to McGrattans. I definitely owe Meno' massive thanks, and a pint, for his plan as I think that made the difference this time.

Next? I now have a good enough time to enter the Donedea 50k. I'm not sure if it's already sold out or if I even want to commit to it. I'll never be a speed merchant though so pushing the distance does appeal to me. I'll take a few days and think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Delighted gor you A ' brilliant running well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Well done...really well done!
    Have been stalking thread for a while.
    Great running today, and great race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Well done, perfect pacing. There's plenty more in you, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great going yesterday, impressed by how well planned and executed your race was, including backup plan too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done and congrats on a massive PB.

That's fantastic :) massive congrats to you on that PB!!!

The Muppet wrote: »
    Delighted gor you A ' brilliant running well done.
    scargill wrote: »
    Well done...really well done!
    Have been stalking thread for a while.
    Great running today, and great race report.
    Well done, perfect pacing. There's plenty more in you, I'd say.
    annapr wrote: »
    Great going yesterday, impressed by how well planned and executed your race was, including backup plan too :)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done and congrats on a massive PB.
    That's fantastic :) massive congrats to you on that PB!!!

Thanks everyone! Sore thighs today, but definitely worth it.

October: 141 miles for the month.

Saturday 4th Nov: 5 miles at 8:57 avg. First run since DCM, felt good to get out.

Tuesday 7th Nov: Run-mute 6.8 miles at 9:24 avg. A couple of random thoughts on this run.
    1. I really think running this regularly helped me for the marathon. The profile is very similar to the first 7, flat-ish for the first 2 miles followed by a pretty constant climb all the way home.
    2. It's dark and I'm wearing dark clothes. Saw another runner with a light on his backpack. Must get something like that.

Signed up for Manchester on April 8th. Planning to follow the meno' plan again so I'll wing it a bit for the next 6 weeks or so to keep the mileage reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Great Report and Great Result! Only picked this up now.. Happy reading. Well Done A.

Advertisement