Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spilt some irish tap water and when it dried left white mineral behind

Options
  • 11-01-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

We have a water softner at home and I accidently spilt some water and never cleaned it right away. When the water evaporated left a white salt-like mineral behind. Is this because of the water softner and why do they say it is safe to drink softened water if that is what is inside it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

chemtrails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Do you know what water softening is?
    It's adding minerals to water to give it a taste. Calcium and magnesium etc. A quick google will enlighten you.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Did you know that people with blood pressure, heart conditions or pregnant ladies are advised not to drink softened water. Softened water should no be used for preparation babies bottles either.For this reason it is good practise to leave the cold water tap at the kitchen sink unsoftened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Did you know that people with blood pressure

we're all fcuked so....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

armabelle wrote: »
    We have a water softner at home and I accidently spilt some water and never cleaned it right away. When the water evaporated left a white salt-like mineral behind. Is this because of the water softner and why do they say it is safe to drink softened water if that is what is inside it?

It's salt more or less - the water softener removes calcium, magnesium etc and replaces it with sodium

You'd need to get it tested - too much sodium in yer diet and you'll die prematurely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The fact you require a water softner indicates that there's a predisposition to hard water in your area. It's most likely calcium or magnesium carbonate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Minerals are good for you

When they're in water.

And aren't lead

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you taste it OP?
    Was it salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

armabelle wrote: »

If what is what is inside it? Some undefined substance? Probably because there are lots of substances that are safe to ingest and whatever it is, is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

It might also have been a floor cleaner that the water brought out of the floor and left on the surface when it evaporated off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Pigeons fly over reservoirs occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

That's where the pregnant ladies come from , after the " we're all ****ed " .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Lime?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

gctest50 wrote: »
    It's salt more or less - the water softener removes calcium, magnesium etc and replaces it with sodium

You'd need to get it tested - too much sodium in yer diet and you'll die prematurely

You'd need to drink around 7-800 litres of water a day to exceed your recommended sodium intake levels. Your bladder would explode before your heart at that rate of intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

the stink of bleach off the water is what freaks me out.. i run everything through a brita filter and it seems to do the trick.. no more tea tasting like swimming pools...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Shouldn't mix cocaine with water, everyone knows this or should ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You'd need to drink around 7-800 litres of water a day to exceed your recommended sodium intake levels. Your bladder would explode before your heart at that rate of intake.
    YOu'd be long dead from water intoxication before your bladder burst. It doesn't take much, drinking too much water in one sitting can cause brain damage, there's probably no reason to drink more than 3 litres in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stop being a little b*tch and just snort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Could be limescale (calcium carbonate) same stuff that builds up in you kettle and pipes.
    I live in a hard water area and if you leave water in a glass for a day it'll leave a chalky scum on the glass.. yum, also the chlorine smell is muckscusting! I have a kangen filter for the drinking water but when the shower or bath is used the place smells like a swimming pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

So you're saying there's a chance

The water is very hard where my parents live, so they have a big watersoftener in the garage. The water is quite soft anyway where I live so I was surprised at the difference it made after a couple of weeks in my parents. I had skin as soft as a babys bottom and hair as shiny and soft as a soft shiny thing.

They still used a filter for drinking water all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ScumLord wrote: »
    YOu'd be long dead from water intoxication before your bladder burst. It doesn't take much, drinking too much water in one sitting can cause brain damage, there's probably no reason to drink more than 3 litres in a day.

Unless you're mixing your water with fermented wheat hops or barley

• Registered Users Posts: 22,303 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I grew up with water from our own spring. Full of calcium so the kettles and washing machines didn't last, but it tasted amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

RO filter all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭XavierBoThang

I live near the city centre in Dublin. Always very sensitive towards the taste of water out of a tap. Have bought bottled water for 2 years, it won't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Had same problem with very hard water. Required industrial sized softener and left the water starting salty. Used a 150 euro reverse osmosis system with remineralisation filter to add back taste post reverse osmosis. Pm me if you want links

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's the mind control drug that the CIA put in our water. Wouldn't touch it OP. Make sure you get bottled water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Water softeners work by replacing the calcium with sodium ions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

:)

Advertisement