Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that are cheaper/free when you live in a rural area

Options
2»

Comments

Unfortunately, I can't agree with that last one, house break ins happen often enough here.
    Some houses are never broken into though, because they're abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Sheep sex..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Unfortunately, I can't agree with that last one, house break ins happen often enough here.

Or have a big, noisy dog...or so isolated it would be too much trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

I was going to post a list but then realised I had found most of them in towns as well, when I bothered to look. The free stuff that I miss - sea air, ocean views, mountain thyme or even just wild thyme, a sense of peace, the ability to wander and not be lost. The stuff I still find - kindling, ransoms, chickweed, blackberries, hazelnuts,elderberries, fennel, apples, sloes, greengage, wild raspberries, wild strawberries(but need determination to find enough for a salad), field mushrooms and chanterelle, crab apples, rose hips, rosemary and even when out in Kerry, a quince - this year I found a decaying puffball and another still ok looking one but didn't risk eating either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Modern living. it's subsidised via large towns and cities. yet they complain about modern things like pylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sense of community.
    People waving at you as you drive past them.
    Friendliness.

Aaahh the old everyone knows everyone one-finger wave.... Ya gotta love it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

The waving was obligatory though, you fail to wave at some ****er because you don't recognise them in their new car and there's a decent chance you'll hear about it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Centre of Killarney; coffee from a machine over E2

On the outskirts; same is just over E1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Space is the most obvious benefit of rural living to me. In Dublin, a 2000 square foot house would be deemed a mansion, in the countryside it'd be a "modest" dwelling. Add the half acre of garden and a 300sq foot shed and you've a hell of a lot more room to store stuff or engage in many hobbies which simply aren't an option in your average 3 bed semi in the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They break into the abandoned houses for the copper, small townland where my grand uncle lived all the houses have been destroyed. So I suppose copper is free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sleepy wrote: »
    Space is the most obvious benefit of rural living to me. In Dublin, a 2000 square foot house would be deemed a mansion, in the countryside it'd be a "modest" dwelling. Add the half acre of garden and a 300sq foot shed and you've a hell of a lot more room to store stuff or engage in many hobbies which simply aren't an option in your average 3 bed semi in the suburbs.

Costs a fortune to heat all the rooms you don't use and half a day to cut the grass.

Advertisement