Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet hit by car

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Mary63 wrote: »
    If the car was damaged the owner may be presenting you with a bill to repair it.

Be prepared for them to call looking for your house insurance details.

My friends car was hit by a labrador and a thousand euros worth of damage was done.Dog was off lead on a busy road and it was a very dark morning.

**** off, and leave the poor owner to deal with their grief.

Absolute disgusting comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sorry about your pet patmac, pet probably doesn't cover what she was to your family. You have given her a great life and you'll have loads of lovely memories to remember her by.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Patmac, sincerest condolences on the sudden and traumatic loss of your old pal.
    I think the behaviour of a number of posters in this thread beggars belief, despite a warning earlier today stop bloody well discussing the legalities and to have a bit of bloody compassion and sensitivity.
    I'm an inch away from closing the thread only it would prevent Patmac getting messages of comfort.
    So, if you want to discuss the legalities, the liabilities, or responsibilities of an owner whose dog gets knocked down, start a thread on it. But there is not to be a single further mention of these in this thread.
    Messages of comfort and condolences only, please.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

<snip>

OP I totally feel for you and your wife. Been through losing a pet and it’s horrible. I’ve had 3 dogs. Dog number 1 I got aged 6 and he was 17 when he died. Didn’t want to put him to sleep but knew it what was best for him.

Dog number 2 was a collie and she had one puppy (Surprising I know). They both were sent to live on a family members farm and the puppy went for a wonder when she was 11 months and got hit by a van. Van driver felt awful and was kind enough to being her back to the farm as they were local and were very apologetic. She is buried in the farmhouse garden and her mum who died a few years later through illness and is buried next to her.

It maybe upsetting now but it will get easier with time

Mod note: removed off-topic comments. Please see my warning above.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Sorry for the loss of your lovely JRT x Sammy Patmac, what a wonderful dog to have owned and such a long life she had!

You undoubtedly made the right decision and these things happen and happen to all dog owners, no matter what level of expertise they claim to have, the risk is always there lead or not, it's all about what you do for your pets and how much love you give them when they are alive not what happens when their time is up.

I'm also enjoying how wonderfully you speak of your JRT, they are such fab dogs to own, she sounded lovely. I'm on the other side of JRT owners, the last JRT we had was a loveable demon but hated by the neighbours and children alike!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Sammy, Patmac. It's heartbreaking and particularly distressing when it's so sudden. I hope that in time you'll be able to revisit the happy memories and the many adventures you no doubt shared with her. JRT's being so full of fun and mischief, I'm sure there'll be lots of tales to be told!

For now, just allow yourselves to grieve the loss of your old pal and take care.

RIP Sammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Your poor wife, I cant imagine how she must be feeling, these things happen so easily :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I've just seen this thread, so very sorry for your loss.
    I love the idea of having a tree to look at and remember Sammy by.

R.I P little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

R.I.P. Sammy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

So so sorry for your loss. 

WE HAVE A SECRET 

We have a secret, you and I
    that no one else shall know,
    for who but I can see you lie
    each night in fire glow?

And who but I can reach my hand
    before we go to bed
    and feel the living warmth of you
    and touch your silken head?

And only I walk woodland paths
    and see ahead of me,
    your small form racing with the wind
    so young again, and free.

And only I can see you swim
    in every brook I pass
    and when I call, no one but I
    can see the bending grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Condolences to you and the family, horrible decision to make but you can take respite in the fact that it was the best choice.
    A friend had to put their dog down back before Xmas and another friend of ours said a lovely quote:

"Everyone thinks they have the best dog in the world. None of them are wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I am very sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

So sorry for your loss. She'll always be with you...

Take care
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭samo

I really am so very sad to read your update, sammy sounds like a wonderful dog, much loved and having had a fantastic life with you and it must be very sad to see him go.

We lost our retriever after she passed away in an accident around 2.5 years ago and whilst she is gone, she'll never be forgotten and we talk about her and remember her with so much good feeling, this probably sounds really silly and I'm actually not the soppiest person you'd meet (honest!) but I like to think that dogs really teach us about what it means to share your home and your time with them, they are part of the family and for good owners (like you and your family) they grace us with unconditional love and loyalty and really are such are a blessing. 

Take care, thinking of you and your wife xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Thanks for the lovely comments, we have another dog Binky (a rescue) who is a bit confused by all the crying and wondering where Sammy is.
    Regarding loose dogs, we live on a quietish road and there are some dogs unaccompanied, one in particular roams up and down and never gets hit, while poor Sammy ran across the road for the first time and well she was very unfortunate.
    She was 12 and going a bit deaf so we were fortunate to have her so long. My wife is still very upset (as am I) so we will have to rescue another dog sooner rather later.
    Thanks again for the messages of support, I don't know any of you but we all have one thing in common a love of dogs and you are helping me through a difficult time.
    I have also decided to change my signature.

Advertisement