Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Laptop 256GB SSD €399 DID.ie

Options
  • 10-01-2017 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a good price for the specs.

Pavilion.
    15.6" Screen.
    AMD A6 CPU. (I have no experience with AMD chip-sets.)
    4 GB Ram. (Not sure if this can be increased)
    256GB SSD.
    Display Resolution 1366 x 768.
    Windows 10.
    9 Hours Battery.

http://www.did.ie/hp-pavilion-4gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-laptop-15-aw002na-prd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Pretty rubbish processor and terrible display. 256gb ssd ain't bad but other than that no bargain here really!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pretty rubbish processor and terrible display. 256gb ssd ain't bad but other than that no bargain here really!

I just checked out the processor on cpubenchmark and its scores less than the I3 in my current machine.

The search continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

I'm looking for a new laptop too. Are the specs on this one good? General browsing and a bit of streaming is all it will be used for. Used URL shortener as Argos links can fail to work sometimes :)

https://goo.gl/Y79KwV

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I know its not a 1080p screen- but in all honesty- you don't need a HD screen in a 15.6" laptop- you quite simply won't appreciate the realestate.

The processor in this laptop is crap. There isn't any other word for it- its quite appalling.

4Gb RAM will run Windows 10- but most people insist on 8Gb

The other specs- are actually very decent for the price point- a 256Gb SSD obviously being the highlight.

At the end of the day- it depends entirely on what you intend to use the laptop for- if its for a little bit of coursework- Word/Excel/Access- alongside some web browsing- its perfectly fine. If you intend to go gaming- don't bother.

If you're not going to be gaming and just want a laptop for a bit of course work alongside some internet browsing- even playing media files (video etc)- this is fine- anything more heavy duty- move on........

Unless you're planning on gaming- buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Anyone doing coursework which involves word,excel or access would definitely appreciate more resolution vertical resolution is king in those apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The thread of laptops that aren't bargains continues.

Can we make a thread in pcs for them perhaps? Then when an actual bargain comes up it can get a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

RossieMan wrote: »
    The thread of laptops that aren't bargains continues.

Can we make a thread in pcs for them perhaps? Then when an actual bargain comes up it can get a thread.

Thoughts on this lads ? Hunting for a colleague. Nothing intensive planned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have bought one of those. solid machine for a light user. Space might be an issue though for movie lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Looks to be a good price for the specs.

Pavilion.
    15.6" Screen.
    AMD A6 CPU. (I have no experience with AMD chip-sets.)
    4 GB Ram. (Not sure if this can be increased)
    256GB SSD.
    Display Resolution 1366 x 768.
    Windows 10.
    9 Hours Battery.

http://www.did.ie/hp-pavilion-4gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-laptop-15-aw002na-prd
    dodzy wrote: »
    Thoughts on this lads ? Hunting for a colleague. Nothing intensive planned for it.
    RossieMan wrote: »
    Have bought one of those. solid machine for a light user. Space might be an issue though for movie lovers.

@Rossieman, which one are you referring to the one in the original post or what dodzy linked to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair the laptop is the OP is a good deal considering it's a bricks and mortar offer. Processor is fine for casual use and it would be a very fast laptop due to the SSD. You could do a lot worse for the money buying in a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends entirely on the person...... but-

1. 4Gb of RAM isn't really acceptable
    2. 128Gb SSD- unless they are judicious with their cleaning regime- will be filled by Microsoft updates alone- within a few week (much less anything they might install on it themselves)
    3. Screen resolution is same as HP earlier in the thread
    4. Processor is a 2Ghz dual core- fine for general stuff- but hardly earth shattering. It runs cool and is efficient. The built in graphics are ok for general stuff- but nothing special.
    5. The processor in the HP (above in first post) is significantly better than this one (2.4Ghz versus 2Ghz and 2Mb L1 cache versus 512kb in the i3)- also its graphics run at twice the speed as the Intel graphics (600Mhz versus 300Mhz).

I.e. everything else being equal- the laptop in the first post on thread- is the beat of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Not amazing, but at €149 . . . .

DID tech services Toshiba C50-B-185 ex display

(Link dead. Product gone from DID webpage)

Link to Lenovo ideapad i3/4gb/1TB/15" for €250 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭djan

2. 128Gb SSD- unless they are judicious with their cleaning regime- will be filled by Microsoft updates alone- within a few week (much less anything they might install on it themselves)
    4. Processor is a 2Ghz dual core- fine for general stuff- but hardly earth shattering. It runs cool and is efficient. The built in graphics are ok for general stuff- but nothing special.
    5. The processor in the HP (above in first post) is significantly better than this one (2.4Ghz versus 2Ghz and 2Mb L1 cache versus 512kb in the i3)- also its graphics run at twice the speed as the Intel graphics (600Mhz versus 300Mhz).

I.e. everything else being equal- the laptop in the first post on thread- is the beat of this one.

How about having a look at this one for 373 EUR http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-core-i3-5005u-4gb-256gb-ssd-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-x0q79es/version.asp, ticks all the boxes but sadly looks like it is not a Full HD screen. (Ordered some for black friday and with the same product code it came with a Full HD screen but now the description has been changed to just HD screen so not sure which it is now. Still worth consideration without the extra resolution screen)

Overall, if you can stretch the budget go for an Intel i3 processor ideally 5005u upwards, 256gb SSD, 4GB+ RAM and a Full HD Screen for the best price you can get :)

378 EUR http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/grade-a1-hp-250-g5-core-i3-5005u-2ghz-4gb-256gb-ssd-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-wind-77291207-2-w4q18ea/version.asp this is a refurbished model that ticks all the boxes. In work so cant dig around too much but these should help you out!

Laptops direct also do 20 GBP off when you sign up for free trial of Which!? that you can cancel any time and also provide a year warranty for refursb for 30 EUR AFAIK.

Just to clarify,

1. 4GB of ram is more than enough for office/student "work" check your average ram usage in windows and you will be surprised how little Win10 uses in non demanding tasks which would be done on a laptop of this price range. Ram is also easily expandable if you decide to go that way...

2. 128GB isn't much allright but can be solved with an external HDD which is a good option for students anyway to back up their work so you dont have projects dissapearing at due date. (Note laptop I linked has 256GB SSD)

3. Would definitely reccomend a Full HD screen if possible for any text based work as the vertical resolution will help greatly in productivity.

4. The i3 proccessor is faster and more efficient than the AMD chip. Due to their vastly different internal infrastructure they can't be compared like that. the i3 performs better by about 25% although the AMD graphics are slightly faster but any gaming other than older titles are out of question in this price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Anyone have any advice on this one? I reserved it already and will purchase it just not 100% on specs:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No offence but pretty much every point you've made there is totally untrue and extremely misleading.

1. For the vast majority of people 4GB is plenty - for browsing, media, office, general day to day use it's more than enough.

2. Not sure where this idea is coming from but it's not true. My parents have had a 128GB SSD on Win10 for the past 2 years and never go above about 40gb usage as they only use it for office/watching movies/browsing.

3. Yes....full HD is preferable but for most people not strictly necessary especially at the lower end of the budget.

4. The i3-5005u is a very fast processor for casual use. In fact ULV 'U' model i5's are identical to the i3, just with a turbo-boost function. It's a better processor than the A9-9410 in the HP in the OP.

5. No, it's not, it's miles behind. While I'm not postive about the exact performance of the R5 in the A9-9410, it's either on-par with the integrated HD5500 of the i3-5005u or possibly slower - not twice as fast as you've claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

AS1890 wrote: »
    Anyone have any advice on this one? I reserved it already and will purchase it just not 100% on specs:

That looks decent 5th Gen i5, 8GB RAM and 1TB HD....but it says it was on sale for € 20 lesser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

AS1890 wrote: »

It depends what you want it for... I got the cheaper model for a friend last week. They wanted one for internet, bit of word processing, etc. This has a lesser processor than the one you are looking at, but will do basic tasks fine

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=5499317&authToken=

As an aside, they both come with decent branded lenovo backpacks and wireless mouse, which are on sale for €45 and €30 respectively in Argos at the moment.

AS1890 wrote:

I would strongly advise staying away from a laptop with a physical HDD I'd aim to get an SSD even if it's just 128GB you can always upgrade it and the speed improvement is much more drastic than any processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I bought this one last week,

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lenovo-yoga-510-14-full-hd-2-in-1-with-faster-ssd-storage-black/341931/409.4

very nice little laptop with full HD touch screen SSD etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Anyone doing coursework which involves word,excel or access would definitely appreciate more resolution vertical resolution is king in those apps.

and if you're presenting off your laptop a 1080 laptop screen to synch what you see on your laptop to the (most likely) 1080 TV/projector screen is a must

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    and if you're presenting off your laptop a 1080 laptop screen to synch what you see on your laptop to the (most likely) 1080 TV/projector screen is a must

Resolution of the laptop makes no difference as the laptop can output Full HD through a HDMI cable etc.. the 1080p is more for productivity.

As an aside from my experience, most projectors are around 720p. In general I wouldn't worry about screen resolution for presenting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Its a grand machine m8,bought one for the son for christmas and he uses it for his college project,if you need more space the dvd drive can be removed and a HD fitted instead,needs an adaptor obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

2. 128Gb SSD- unless they are judicious with their cleaning regime- will be filled by Microsoft updates alone- within a few week (much less anything they might install on it themselves)..

Odd I've been using a few laptops with 2~3GB of ram and 128GB SSD and none of that has happened. That said if I was buying a machine as my only machine for the next few years I'd over spec it. That A6 processor will not cut it for long.

if you are planning on buying a laptop and ever plan on watching media on it I'd really recommend getting one with an IPS screen.

http://www.tnpanel.com/tn-vs-ips-va/

Colour reproduction is WAY better which makes viewing much more pleasant. It's night and day.
    Resolution is less important. Most IPS screens will be 1080p anyway these days.
    But a 720p IPS screen would beat a 1080p TN screen - it's more about colour than resolution.

Cocoon wrote: »
    I bought this one last week,

http://www.currys.ie/Product/lenovo-yoga-510-14-full-hd-2-in-1-with-faster-ssd-storage-black/341931/409.4

very nice little laptop with full HD touch screen SSD etc.

imo, this is a very decent price for a B&M shop. at 450 euro it's infinitely better than paying 399 for the laptop in the original post.

IPS (in-plane-switching) 1080p screen and an SSD (albeit a small one). but people should get out of the habit of storing lots of movies etc on a laptop tbh.
    i3 processor is more than enough for most people.
    14 inch is a nice balance between portability (e.g. not going to bother you with it in a backpack for college etc compared to a 15.6 laptop) and being big enough to do things like for example excel on it.
    4gb ram also fine for most things for running win10 . if you want to upgrade it will cost you as it only has 1 ram slot so you'd need to buy a 1 x 8gb ram piece which is more expensive than getting 2 x 4gb ones.
    You're not going to be running the newest games on this but it's not a gaming laptop in any case. But you could actually run some games on it.
    The screen is also touchscreen which I actually find useful for scrolling up and down a webpage using your thumb.
    It's also convertible so you can use the useful "tent mode" for having the screen nearer to you for watching movies etc (no keyboard in the way) or for showing presentations etc..
    Admittedly, tablet mode is not that useful as it's too heavy to be comfortably used as a tablet and I personally don't like windows tablet mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I was looking at the 510. The main disadvantage on that machine is that the screen adds a lot of weight because its touch screen. Its also has underwhelming battery life for that class of machine. Otherwise it was on my shortlist. I'd prefer the Idea Pad 510s which is 14" and no touch screen but its 200 more and then too expensive. Theres also the Ideapad 510 which is 15" short battery life for the size also. But decent bang for buck IMO. Probably the LENOVO YOGA 510 14" is the best compromise.

beauf wrote: »
    I was looking at the 510. The main disadvantage on that machine is that the screen adds a lot of weight because its touch screen. Its also has underwhelming battery life for that class of machine. Otherwise it was on my shortlist. I'd prefer the Idea Pad 510s which is 14" and no touch screen but its 200 more and then too expensive. Theres also the Ideapad 510 which is 15" short battery life for the size also. But decent bang for buck IMO. Probably the LENOVO YOGA 510 14" is the best compromise.

says up to 8 hours battery life which means that even with exaggerated claims you should get 6 anyway. I think that an older model had worse battery life.
    1.8kg is not bad. the ideapad 510s 14 weighs 1.7kg so hardly a big difference.
    for the money it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I5 CPU and 8GB of Ram would be a big advantage.

But for that money, I'd also like a SSD hard drive.

Search for those specs in Saveonlaptops or laptopsdirect, I'd say you'll find a cheaper machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

phobia2011 wrote: »

- Low resolution screen (1366x768) rather than Full HD (1920x1080)
    - Slow (5400rpm) physical hard drive rather than an SSD
    - 10/100 Ethernet rather than 1000/GB .. though it does have AC wireless
    - Doesn't say what Graphics chipset but I'm guessing Intel HD which wouldn't be much use if you plan to play games

Advertisement