Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford GAA Discussion Thread

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Seeing as Hoganstand has gotten rid off county page discussion it might be a good move to revive this here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Absolutely, maybe there was budgetary reasons but seems like self sabotage what the people running hoganstand did.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

it must be to do with monitoring the website and the fear of legal action over something posted.

I think that was the reason the old an fear rua site stopped their forum a number of years ago.

To be fair the Wexford page on hoganstand was popular and busier than a lot of the other county pages

Whats people thoughts in regards to the Football Championships?

Pretty much along the lines as expected last week, Castletown getting revenge for the hurling, Martins maybe shaking off the disappointment of the hurling championship to go all out on football. The Starlights starting their quest for the double this weekend and will come close imho.

As an aside 2 former football kingpins shipping serious beatings in their respective grades, Ballyhogue and the Vols, sad to see.

• Advertisement

Looks like an open championship. Probably looking at a leading group of Castletown, Shels, Martins and Starlights in terms of possible winners. If Barry o'connor is back fit he'll be a big help home from Syndey for a few weeks for the Martins. Glynn probably best of the rest, St James usually competitive too, Gusserane then the big enigma could do anything good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

3 tickets for the open stand side in Wexford Park for Saturday's Leinster Hurling game vs Dublin if anyone wants them at face value (or less). PM me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Howdy all. I come in peace!

I have 2 tickets in the Covered Stand for Saturday evening's game available gratis to a good home.

Seeing as Hoganstand dont actually seem to even bother updating their forums more than ONCE a day at this stage are there enough Wexicans on here interested in using this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'm in. Don't know if there are any more

• Advertisement

Make it 3.

Will the 3 of us solve all the woes in Wexford or should we just set up a whatsapp group?😀

Interesting backroom team for Rossi, rumors of Malachy Travers coming in also. Not sure of what coaching Fitzhenry has done, watching him in the Hurling for Cancer game the other day theres plenty of Junior teams or maybe a little higher that he could still do a job for?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/newly-appointed-wexford-senior-hurling-boss-keith-rossiter-reveals-impressive-backroom-team/a598192606.html

Malachy was involved with Ballyboden to win a co title up there a couple years back. He has a very young family though so whether he would have the time or not is a different discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm another refugee from Hogan Stand 😁

Fitzhenry was previously goalkeeping coach with Davy Fitzgerald for a couple of years. Also spent some time managing a club team in Carlow. Was either Erin's Own in Bagenalstown or Naomh Eoin in Myshall - I always get those two mixed up!

Didnt know that about the team in Carlow.

Just never remember him being involved with a club in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

It was only for a year or two, and IIRC, was before Davy was Wexford manager. So must be 7 or 8 years ago now.

He's actually a neighbour of mine. I remember him saying once that he decided club management isn't really for him, but he's happy enough with goalkeeping coaching all right.

So Kilanerin and Castletown are out front in the senior football championship. I imagine the winner will come from those 2 or the Shels?

Hard to see anyone outside of those 3 contesting, maybe a Gusserane if they got a bit of momentum or St James, wouldn't judge St James too much on their 1st 2 games think they've suffered a bit of a hangover from 2 extra time games in a row in hurling semi final and final and apparently were missing players with Electric Picnic at the weekend, if they snook a 4th place in the group could be tricky in a QF, Martins, Gorey and Horeswood seem to have started strong in Intermediate.

Ya I thinknthe winners of intermediate will be from the Martins or Naomh Eanna. I think Horrswood are a distance behind those 2.

Taught Martins were the stand out from early on, Gorey are a weird one, brilliant record at underage but seems a complete lack of interest in football at adult hard to judge from 1 year to the next, but they have to players to compete at Senior in my view if they have the appetite.

• Advertisement

There is a fair divide between the football and hurling squads in Gorey though. Their stand out footballers are guys like Brian Cushe, Rian Fitzpatrick, Seamus O'Donnell, Michael Molloy. none of those are senior hurlers. Brian Cushe and Rian Fitz were on the junior team that won their championship but football would be their preferred sport. Throw in the like of Jack Cullen, Jack Cushe, Jack Doran and a few more that are committed dual players and they look strong.

I still think that the Martins are the strongest team down there, but Naomh Eanna could easily rattle them.

At some stage you would think that Gorey would get it together enough to get up to senior football.

They do have the players to do it but the desire didnt seem to be there for the past few years. Ive a feeling that winning both hurling finals has given them the spur to push on in football in what would be an historic year for the club.

The martins have the players to match them.

hard to know in regards to last weeks games though in any grade, EP took an unprecedented amount of players for clubs it seems and in reality there are so many players playing on fumes really with zero breaks for certain clubs and max a week or so for others.

Our structure does nothing for football unfortunately.

Absolutely agree re the structures hurting football. Clubs are even seeing a lot of lads opting out of football once the hurling has ended. The upside of this of course is that it is levelling the playing field for all clubs in the hurling championship. The advantage that Oulart, Rathnure et al had when they were getting break weeks when football was alternating with hurling is gone. Has that helped the likes of Gorey and especially Shels, Rapps/Starlights? All genuine dual clubs that have won hurling championships in recent years.

Kinda have to disagree,

Those clubs were all starting to dominate before we decided on this split season approach, Oulart and Rathnure have been on the slide anyway, rathnure hadnt been in a final since 2011, oulart havent won since 2016. In the last 8 years its been strong dual clubs at the business end.

Hurling has changed and you see a lot more running the ball through the lines, its adopted a lot of the football approach to games, sweepers, off the shoulder running through the lines and for me thats coincided with those dual clubs starting to dominate.

I take your point alright, its a fair comment, but I'd have to say that all clubs only having a 1 week break against some getting 2 has made a huge difference as well. Look at the rise of clubs like the St James and Taghmon. Both very close to a major breakthrough. I think the split season has been good for them as they get a good block of hurling only rather than alternating week on week with football.

I'd also have to say that I think had the old system been in place St Martins would have sacrificed the football altogether and dominated the hurling.

Advertisement