Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to Rome

• 09-01-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am travelling to Rome on the 26th of January and am wondering what is the best things to do while I'm there
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you a short list that of things that you've already decided to do and see which we can add to - or why did you decide to go there in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I managed to get a brisk walking tour done around it in one day, less getting into the Vatican & Basilica di San Pietro, give that a good day to queue and arrive earlier than you think.. watch your bags like a hawk though as I've had family members pick pocketed there and they were like a raging bull afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FitzLauren01

I don't have any list of particular things I want to do as I never have been there before and wanted to try and get the best out of the few days I have there. I decided to go there in the first place as it was on my bucket list and my boyfriend had expressed interest in going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 efa30

I definitely recommend the Colosseum, it is such an amazing site, however it depends on your interests!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great city, probably my favourite of all cities I have visited.

Relatively compact for a major capital...so easy enough to walk around.

I'd say see St Peters (impressive even for a heathen like me), the Sistine Chapel, the Colosseum, the Trevi fountain, the Pantheon....after that just sit and have a beer or coffee and people watch.

Enjoy your trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

Loved the place, it is memorable. The Colosseum, trevi fountain and also st. Pauls basilica are fab. You can go underground to the catacombs too, they are so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BeeMee_123

Another point re trevi fountain is we were warned of pick pocketing in this area, do not let this dampen your spirits just keep your money/belongings out of reach and you should not have any problems. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Jumping in on this thread as we are going the same time! We have been before overnight only though but we took in all the sights apart from the Vatican which we want to do this trip. Any tips for doing the Vatican tour?

We are staying near the Pantheon so some restaurant recommendations would be great. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Dovies wrote: »
    Jumping in on this thread as we are going the same time! We have been before overnight only though but we took in all the sights apart from the Vatican which we want to do this trip. Any tips for doing the Vatican tour?

We are staying near the Pantheon so some restaurant recommendations would be great. Thanks

Google the Scavi Tour and see if you get a spot on it.
    It takes you underneath the Basilica - I done it and it's brilliant.
    Quite hard to get a space but you may get lucky.
    You email the Vatican office, tell them the dates you're visiting and they email back to tell you if you have a spot. It's €13 each.
    Whilst you're down there you stand in a spot that is supposedly the closest you can physically be to the bones of St Peter, I'm not religious but I thought that was quite cool.

Also make sure you have your Vatican tickets purchased in advance, you don't want to be waiting around in long queues.

Also edited to add - the main bus to the Vatican is Bus 64. Absolutely notorious for pick pockets so have your wits about you when you're on there, as you should everywhere in Rome but especially on here.

I am travelling to Rome on the 26th of January and am wondering what is the best things to do while I'm there

I was in Rome for a week recently and my 2 highlights were the Colosseum and a food tour I done: http://www.eatingitalyfoodtours.com/rome/tours/twilight-trastevere/
    I have a code for 10% if you want it, just PM me.

Get your tickets in advance for the Colosseum so you don't have to queue and get them to include the Roman Forum also. Book a tour that takes you to the underground part, I booked mine through the official Colossuem website and I think it was all about €30 total.

A friend of mine who lives in Rome was sending me pics a few days ago of the frozen fountains so TAKE WARM CLOTHES it is colder there than it is here at the moment!

Another cool thing I done that is only a small attraction but I loved was the Capuchin Crypt. Made entirely of human bones. Only €8 entry, takes about 20/30 mins but I really enjoyed it. Plus the church above is nice to visit after, very pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

We travelled at the same time last year, perfect time to be there, our highlight was the colosseum, we did the underground tour which was great. Once you start walking there's beautys around every corner, we walked alot. Also must see the Vatican museums and at Peter's basilica- I'm not overly religious but this was jaw dropping. Important is when leaving the Sistine chapel there is a door on the right, the tour guide s use it, exit this way and the entrance to start Peter's basilica is impressive. Trevi fountain is nice, just don't let people take your photo, buy rose or selphie stick etc, watch your valuables and don't let people too close
    Don't forget to go to Trastevere for a night out, lovely place. Whatever you do, Rome is a beautiful place, with loads to see & do.
    Hope it helps, any q's, shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm also heading to Rome this month :D

First time there, we've booked a cycle tour as I always think this is a great way to see a new city. It's the one on Tripadvisor.

I've heard a lot about pickpockets so be sure to keep valuables close by you and don't get too close to people where possible.

I've linked a few travel blogs below with some dos and don't about Rome, very handy. If you're going over a weekend like we are, remember the Sistine chapel is closed on Sundays but the Colesseum is free then too.

http://www.blondvoyage.com/single-post/2015/09/11/15-Tourist-Mistakes-to-Avoid-in-Rome

http://www.romesightseeing.net/do-and-dont-in-rome/

Any other tips from previous travellers would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

I'm Heading over next weekend to Rome for the 6 Nations Rugby.
    Any suggestions of best places to meet on the day of the game?
    Also really looking for some good places to eat for the weekend?
    Have the rest of the weekend and Monday to try and use all the tips given so far about collesseum, vatican etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Heading over for the game myself and booked the Sistine chapel to avoid the queues. Also looking at booking the colosseum. Been a while since I have been in Rome but good walking city just be careful around Termini and taxi's trying to rip you off an pick pockets usual stuff
    Not sure where the meeting place is for fans but I'll probably be in the Trinity College pub before the game and then head onto stadium. Doing all the touristy stuff the following days

Just back - did the Scavi tour - thanks Betsyellen!! Really interesting
    What I would say is around the sites, Colloseum, Vatican, etc - don't eat or drink right outside. Move a couple of streets over - even from the big squares etc. Places were charging 9 euro a pint on the Piazza Navona and 2 streets over it was 5!

We were over in the Ghetto area which was lovely - cross over the bridge to Trastavere - some lovely little restaurants and bars

Dovies wrote: »
    Just back - did the Scavi tour - thanks Betsyellen!! Really interesting
    What I would say is around the sites, Colloseum, Vatican, etc - don't eat or drink right outside. Move a couple of streets over - even from the big squares etc. Places were charging 9 euro a pint on the Piazza Navona and 2 streets over it was 5!

We were over in the Ghetto area which was lovely - cross over the bridge to Trastavere - some lovely little restaurants and bars

Trastevere was my favourite area in Rome, a girl at work recently went over and I recommended she stay there. She loved it.

Ah I'm delighted you done the Scavi tour! I only heard about it through word of mouth, I never saw it advertised or in the Lonely Planet guides etc so it's good to pass the recommendation on :)

Booked the Scavi so have to collect tickets on the day hopefully find the offices. Got the below from Italian Colleague
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]monuments and interesting places[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Basilica di San Clemente[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif] - close to Coliseum (old church with cloister above Roman street above small river and catacombs)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://www.google.it/search?q=basilica+di+san+clemente&biw=1366&bih=659&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjrucCB6P_KAhUGPBQKHVsuDXsQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=T-6EhYYacvI-gM:[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://basilicasanclemente.com/eng/[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Our Lady of the Conception of the Capuchins - close to Trevi fountain and Spanish steps (crypt made of bones)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.turismoroma.it/cosa-fare/la-cripta-ossario-dei-cappuccini[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_della_Concezione_dei_Cappuccini (official website in Italian only)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Door at Aventino hill with keyhole view of Vatican[/font] [font=Calibri","sans-serif]- [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]close to Circus Massimo and 15-20 mins walking from Coliseum - great panorama + 3 old churches and a wonderful orange garden[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://www.google.ie/search?q=door+aventino&biw=1366&bih=659&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinhqLZ6f_KAhVDuhQKHQlBAbQQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=jaUAQ44XoZ-jbM:[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://it.tripadvisor.ch/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187791-d245947-i32369051-Aventine_Hill-Rome_Lazio.html[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Pantheon[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif] - [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]old Roman Temple converted in church [/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]in city centre ([/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]many famous people and member of ex Royal Family are buried there[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif])[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://www.google.ie/search?q=pantheon+rome&biw=1366&bih=659&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwqKKG6__KAhXDVRQKHepcCsUQ_AUIBigB[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.rome.info/pantheon/[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Pincio[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif] (it's the hill next to Spanish steps - wonderful panorama especially at sunset - 15 mins walking from Spanish steps)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://www.google.ie/search?q=pincio+tramonto&biw=1366&bih=659&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqhPPO6v_KAhWEWBQKHRUnAH0Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=pincio+sunset[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pincian_Hill[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Trastevere[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif] (probably the most characteristic part of Rome for a walk - near the city centre)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]Porta Portese market[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif] (close to Trastevere) on Sunday morning before 2 (to buy anything from conterfeit CDs to a vintage radio passing through a Persian carpet[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]restaurants pizzerias and ice cream shops[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]- Carlo Menta in Trastevere (good relation price/quality)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]- Forno Cerulli in via San Nicola di Tolentino (near the crypt) - http://www.fornocerulli1937.it/sito/[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]- Gelateria dei gracchi (my favourite ice crema in Rome) - 15 mins walking from Saint Peter in via dei Gracchi (http://www.gelateriadeigracchi.it/dove-siamo.htm)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]- Casa del Gelato (5 mins walking from Manzoni metro stop) - http://www.casadelgelato.it/dove_siamo_1.html[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]- Gelateria Fassi (10 mis walking from your apt) - historical shop, good and a little bit old style (http://www.palazzodelfreddo.it/uk/index.htm)[/font]
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]My advise for food is to stay away from the ones in very touristic places and try as many bakeries as you can[/font]

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    Trastevere was my favourite area in Rome, a girl at work recently went over and I recommended she stay there. She loved it.

We found a gorgeous bar/restaurant there - and for the life of me I can't remember the name. Its on a corner - little door. when you go inside there are velvet couches and tables. Lovely décor and a big unit against the wall we tea pots and china cups on it. Beer was good and food looked excellent- a bit empty when we got there but by the end of the night it really filled up. Seemed to be quite popular with the young and trendies!

There's also a tiny pizza place that sells by the slice, only a couple of tables to sit at so you'd eat it on the go. The best pizza I had in Rome.

Il Suppli it's called - the marinara pizza was out of this world and I still think about it.

Also a fabulous bakery called Innocenti - had these little biscuit things called 'ugly but good' - oh God they were unreal

Booked the Scavi so have to collect tickets on the day hopefully find the offices

When you are there, stand so you are looking at the Basilica.
    To your left will be the tourist office, toilets etc.
    Just before those, there is a security point kind of under the pillars where they scan your bags; I had to go through those and show my printed email to the guards confirming my date and time for the Scavi tour.

Then you wait in your group and someone comes to get you, they then print the tickets and give them to you (take your passport - I didn't have mine and the guy was OK about it but if you got a snotty member of staff it might cause an issue!)

There are tour guides everywhere that speak English - they were very helpful when I was asking where to go.

• Advertisement

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    When you are there, stand so you are looking at the Basilica.
    To your left will be the tourist office, toilets etc.
    Just before those, there is a security point kind of under the pillars where they scan your bags; I had to go through those and show my printed email to the guards confirming my date and time for the Scavi tour.

Then you wait in your group and someone comes to get you, they then print the tickets and give them to you (take your passport - I didn't have mine and the guy was OK about it but if you got a snotty member of staff it might cause an issue!)

There are tour guides everywhere that speak English - they were very helpful when I was asking where to go.

Did the Scavi well worth it although some prayers thrown in by priest guide but recommend it. Also gets you into the basilica and for €8 extra up to top of the dome.

Recommendation for anyone going to Rome book tours ahead as queues really long if you are not booked in

Did the Scavi well worth it although some prayers thrown in by priest guide but recommend it. Also gets you into the basilica and for €8 extra up to top of the dome.

Recommendation for anyone going to Rome book tours ahead as queues really long if you are not booked in

I'm really pleased you liked it. So few people know about it so it's cool to be able to say you were there :)

I'm sitting here this morning looking at flights to Rome, think I'm going to go back again in September - I love it there so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm also heading to Rome this month :D

First time there, we've booked a cycle tour as I always think this is a great way to see a new city. It's the one on Tripadvisor.

Would you mind me asking what this was like? My wife and I are going for the last weekend in March and would be really interested in the sound of this. We have limited time (Sat afternoon to Monday afternoon for sight-seeing). What tour was it and what did you think of it overall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

Would you mind me asking what this was like? My wife and I are going for the last weekend in March and would be really interested in the sound of this. We have limited time (Sat afternoon to Monday afternoon for sight-seeing). What tour was it and what did you think of it overall?

Answered your PM :)

Absolutely loved Rome myself. The Bike tour was great and I would highly recommend it. I wasn't terribly impressed by the vatican museums but I wouldn't be much into church history (there's WAY too much stuff in there). The colosseum was great and we did one of the guided tours the sellers advertise outside - worth it imo. The pizzas and coffee in Rome are to die for and not forgetting the ice cream! I second the suggestion to walk just a street or two away from the main sites to find lovely, inexpensive little restaurants. And don't miss the Pantheon whatever you do, its a marvel - truely historic and awe inspiring (how did they build that!). Love Rome and would happily go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Arriving in Rome tomorrow at about 8pm, anyone recommend the best area to head out for a meal and a few drinks..without paying an arm and a leg ? Is the nightlife good in general?

Arriving in Rome tomorrow at about 8pm, anyone recommend the best area to head out for a meal and a few drinks..without paying an arm and a leg ? Is the nightlife good in general?

Trastevere is the place for nightlife.
    There's no clubs though, just nice bars and a fantastic atmosphere.
    Beautiful restaurants around there too.

You've the potential to pay an arm and a leg for food in any area of Rome.
    Just look at menus before going in and check it's within budget.

Don't be deceived by appearances - a lot of the best restaurants are just modest looking family run places.
    They might just slop your lasagne on a plate, no thought to presentation - but it will likely be the best lasagne you ever tasted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Hi guys.
    Wondering if anyone knows anything about the omnia card and if it's worth buying?
    Seems to be a 3 day bus pass with free entry to 2 attractions.
    Not sure if it covers all public transport buses,and if it can be bought locally or just ordered online!

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Wondering if anyone knows anything about the omnia card and if it's worth buying?
    Seems to be a 3 day bus pass with free entry to 2 attractions.
    Not sure if it covers all public transport buses,and if it can be bought locally or just ordered online!

A guy I work with was only telling me about this the other day.
    I didn't get one when I was in Rome before but I may the next time.
    He got one that cost around €110 - it includes fast track entry to the Vatican so no queuing, an open bus tour around the city (€normally costs €32), free transport on all buses/trains plus entrance to all the museums that are listed. Colosseum is one of them.

I'm pretty sure you can buy one online but you then have to pick up the actual card locally - there are 3 collections points (I think) and they're on the website.

All of the above was info given to me so I stand to be corrected if any of it's incorrect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

The Scavi tour seems really interesting. Do those of you who have done it recommend it? :)

• Advertisement

Noveight wrote: »
    The Scavi tour seems really interesting. Do those of you who have done it recommend it? :)

Yes it was very good and extremely interesting, well worth it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was going to apply for the Scavi tour, but I see last year it was closed for Vatican holidays and as one can expect, Easter time is a Vatican holiday period which last year lasted 6 days at Easter, I will be in Rome for Easter, but I do have a ticket for the Papal mass in St Peter's Square on Easter Sunday. No Scavi tour for me :(
    I will just have to throw a coin into the Trevi fountain for the next time.

Advertisement