Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Chess Congress 2017: March 10 - 12

Options
  • 08-01-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Entries are now open for the 2017 Galway Congress, which will be held in the Menlo Park Hotel (the same venue as for the last three years) on the weekend of 10-12 March. Full information can be found on our website including methods of entry (scroll about half way down): you can enter and pay online, should you wish, or the old way, by post.

Please note that we are aware that, like most Irish weekend tournaments recently, we seem to have suffered from a lack of the strongest Irish players. So in an attempt to attract these players, we are offering free entry to anybody with an ICU rating of 2200 or over, provided they enter at least a month before the Congress (i.e. on or before 10 February). You can enter by emailing your details to galwaychess@gmail.com. Further, anybody rated from 2000 to 2199 (ICU) can have a €20 discount on the standard entry fee, providing again that they enter (and pay) by 10 February. The reason that this offer will close a month before the tournament is that we now publish the list of entrants as the entries come in; last year most of the early entrants to the Masters were at the bottom of the rating band (or indeed below it, floating up) which made it seem as if the tournament would be weaker than it actually was, and we think that might have discouraged some people from entering. Hence we want the stronger players to enter earlier, and so are offering this incentive to them to do so. (We have also tightened up a bit on who is allowed to 'float up'.)

So please put the date in your diary, and get your entries coming in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

(b) Players who have had a published ICU rating in the past 2 years which is on or above the floors specified in the table above (i.e., 1800 and 1200), may use that rating to float up if they wish.

I have to say I don't see the logic behind this rule.
    Why should a player receive privileges based on a level they achieved in the past but no longer maintain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Why should a player receive privileges based on a level they achieved in the past but no longer maintain?

I agree completely with brilliantboy.

Maybe if you (Pete Morris) stopped people from playing "up" altogether you would get more of the strong players that your excellent congress apparently has been missing in recent years.

I intended playing in Galway myself this season but the Menlo Hotel is very expensive with no reduced rate for chess players and I couldn't find any other accommodation in the nearby vicinity. Any ideas?

sodacat11 wrote: »
    I intended playing in Galway myself this season but the Menlo Hotel is very expensive with no reduced rate for chess players and I couldn't find any other accommodation in the nearby vicinity. Any ideas?

OH...I see on your website that you do have special hotel rates for chess players and that you list some other accommodation so apologies for the above. I still don't see why hotels charge so much more for a single room though, it is still only one bed and one breakfast per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

(b) Players who have had a published ICU rating in the past 2 years which is on or above the floors specified in the table above (i.e., 1800 and 1200), may use that rating to float up if they wish.

This has been part of our regulations for several years; it was introduced before I was the main organizer. I think we added it because the rating of one of our regular visitors had dropped just below the threshhold; he had played in the over-1200 (or whatever level it was) for well over a decade, and regarded that as his natural level. He had consistently had decent results at that level in Galway. He wrote to us saying that he would enter if, and only if, he could play in the over-1200 section, claiming that the drop in ratings was a blip due to some fluke bad results (which we all think, of course, so we didn't take that that seriously). We decided to accommodate him; he did reasonably well in that section; and his rating did indeed soon get back over the 1200 level.

As far as I can recall, this rule has never been called on since.

So this was a judgement call: we do try to accommodate players who support us, if we can do so without inconveniencing anyone else too much. Others might have decided differently, and maybe two years is a bit generous, and one year would be better. But these are the sorts of judgements tournament organizers have to make.

I agree completely with brilliantboy.

Maybe if you (Pete Morris) stopped people from playing "up" altogether you would get more of the strong players that your excellent congress apparently has been missing in recent years.

For what it is worth, I personally agree with you, and it would make life much easier for us if 1800 and 1200 just meant 1800 and 1200. But we have to give people what they want, not what we want, and it is very clear that many players like floating up, and expect to be able to do so. Every year we get emails (sometimes quite aggressive ones) from people who will play only if they can float up. Of course we tend not to hear from the people who won't play if others are allowed to float up: if we had evidence that they were more numerous than the floater-uppers, we would take the demand to abolish floating up more seriously.

I think the idea of floating up has some point: nobody can say that someone with a rating of 1799 is clearly inferior to one of 1800; the rating system is just not that accurate. Playing in a weekend tournament is time-consuming and often expensive, and so it is reasonable for people to decide they don't want to do it if they are not getting the games they want. We have to draw the line somewhere, and we have decided to allow a 50-point leeway (last year it was 100 points). By the way, I do enforce this rigidly: last year we had an application to float up from someone who was 101 points under the advertised rating floor; I rejected the application, and he declined to play in the lower section. So we try to please people as much as we can; I can't see what else we can do.

• Advertisement

OH...I see on your website that you do have special hotel rates for chess players and that you list some other accommodation so apologies for the above. I still don't see why hotels charge so much more for a single room though, it is still only one bed and one breakfast per person.

Again, I agree with you: as a single person myself, I find hotels' pricing policies infuriating. But Irish hotels seem only to have double rooms nowadays, and they basically charge a rate for the room, but don't say that, for some reason. It's slightly cheaper for us singletons because we only eat one breakfast not two, but that's about it.

You will also see on our website that, because of the hotel's pricing policy, we offer to provide a "room share" service, by putting in touch with each other any singles who would like to share a room to save money; which is doing what we can. But unfortunately we have very little say over how the hotel charges for its rooms - particularly as they would have no difficulty filling the rooms they reserve for players with non-chess-players: Galway is a popular place, and life would be much easier for me if I lived somewhere less popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Hi Pete,
    Do you expect many titled players to play? The best way to get 2000+ rated players down would be to get a couple of IM/GM's registered so there is a chance of a scalp.

I think the idea of floating up has some point: nobody can say that someone with a rating of 1799 is clearly inferior to one of 1800; the rating system is just not that accurate. Playing in a weekend tournament is time-consuming and often expensive, and so it is reasonable for people to decide they don't want to do it if they are not getting the games they want. We have to draw the line somewhere, and we have decided to allow a 50-point leeway (last year it was 100 points). By the way, I do enforce this rigidly: last year we had an application to float up from someone who was 101 points under the advertised rating floor; I rejected the application, and he declined to play in the lower section. So we try to please people as much as we can; I can't see what else we can do.

I see your point about 1799 v 1800 and would go so far as to say that there are probably some 1500 players who are stronger than some 1800 rated players but this is not the point. Someone who is "underrated" compared to their playing strength should only need one tournament or a few league games to rectify this and if they haven't done so then they simply aren't good enough (or as good as they may think they are) . I don't understand why tournaments instead of having an 1800 floor and allowing 1750s to play up don't just have a 1750 floor with no exceptions.
    Bunratty is coming up soon and my rating is below 2000 so I can't make up my mind whether to play in the Masters or the Challengers . The Masters is appealing because of the very strong field and the chance to pick up a scalp but the reality is that I will be little more than a punchbag for most of them and will probably only score something around 2/6 . The Challengers is inviting because I could reasonably expect to score 4 or more and the prize money is very tempting. Quite honestly I would prefer not to have the choice and to have to play in the Challengers along with all the other 1900+ players who will enter the Masters but should really be in the Challengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

The best way to get 2000+ rated players down would be to get a couple of IM/GM's registered so there is a chance of a scalp.

This is the higher rated version of playing up a section.
    Someone who is "underrated" compared to their playing strength should only need one tournament ....

Bunratty is coming up soon and my rating is below 2000...

Put your money where you mouth is and play the Challengers, you should gain enough points to go above 2000 again. There is a decision made for you.

Well considering players get titles for life (or ratings if you never play a rated game again), I think it's not unreasonable. I would say it is easier for someone who once was a certain rating to get back to that rating (in comparison to an individual who never achieved that rating in the past).

Hi Pete,
    Do you expect many titled players to play? The best way to get 2000+ rated players down would be to get a couple of IM/GM's registered so there is a chance of a scalp.

We're working on that; unfortunately IMs/GMs don't grow on trees. We've invariably had several IMs/GMs, and certainly hope to keep that up this year. I'll post further info as soon as I have it.

• Advertisement

"Put your money where you mouth is and play the Challengers, you should gain enough points to go above 2000 again. There is a decision made for you"
    I am very tempted to and may well do so. I would definitely play in the Challengers if there was more 1900+ players than have so far entered but most 1950s will probably play in the Masters
    Dunno about ever getting over 2000 again, I am not getting any better as I get older and even holding my rating in the Challengers section would be no formality, but when the day comes that I am only eligible to play in Intermediate or Junior tournaments I will happily do so. I certainly won't be writing to tournament organisers looking for an exemption because I was once over 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Quite honestly I would prefer not to have the choice and to have to play in the [Bunratty] Challengers along with all the other 1900+ players who will enter the Masters but should really be in the Challengers.

Personally I would prefer more clarity in Bunratty's Terms and Conditions than is provided by the line
    Players with a FIDE rating of over 2000 may play in the Masters.

Probably that should be "should" ? If a player with a 1900+ ICU rating but over 2000 FIDE were to win a prize in the Challengers I foresee there could be complaints.
    I agonised over this for a while but decided to enter the Masters though I certainly don't expect to do very well. Playing two or three games in a day, even in the Challengers (with all those talented juniors), at my age is not likely to be easy but I prefer the toughest available opposition while I am still playing some overseas events.

However I would like the organisers to be more careful with the seedings of overseas players. I hope they get them all right when the February lists are published. Last year when I played the Cork congress and Ennis congress the latest ICU ratings of many early entrants were not used and consequently the seedings (and so many high board pairings) were skewed.

Last time I played Bunratty (2015) some UK players were down with converted English ratings which were significantly different from their FIDE ratings. For example in the current entry list they have Aidan Rawlinson down as 2045 but his FIDE rating is 2213, whereas Malcolm Pein's son Jonathan is listed with his FIDE rating 2019.

If a player with a 1900+ ICU rating but over 2000 FIDE were to win a prize in the Challengers I foresee there could be complaints.

That's a very good point !!

If a player with a 1900+ ICU rating but over 2000 FIDE were to win a prize in the Challengers I foresee there could be complaints.
    But that has often happened (including last year) and I have never heard any complaints. Anybody with an ICU rating under 2000 is perfectly entitled to play in the Bunratty Challengers, should they wish.

However, this thread is about the Galway Congress; if people want to discuss Bunratty, can they please use the Bunratty thread?

Hi Pete,

Job done: currently one GM and two IMs are registered (Alex Baburin, Alex Lopez, Mark Heidenfeld) and I'm waiting to hear back from a few more. So now we'll wait for all the would-be scalpers to flock to enter.:)

Where is a good (not a hostel and not overly expensive) place to stay that isn't too far from the venue?

Thanks Reunion.

We have some names on the website of the nearest places, and also links to lists of accommodation in Galway. We are a bit hesitant to recommend places that we haven't tried out (and since we live in Galway, we don't have much reason to stay in B&Bs in Galway ...), and everybody has a different idea of how much is too expensive, and how far away they are willing to stay.

If the place Reunion has highlighted has gone, there are several other B&Bs and Guest Houses near to it shown on booking.com, and also on tripadvisor. If you bring your car (and note that there is ample free parking at the venue) then anywhere in Galway city is only a short drive away.

Just a reminder that Friday is the closing date for our special reduced price entry for people over 2000 (ICU): half-price for those between 2000 and 2199, and free for everybody over 2200. So far, nobody has taken us up on this generous offer; so now’s your chance to be the first!

Note that we have already secured entries from one GM (Alex Baburin) and two IMs (Alex Lopez and Mark Heidenfeld) and have had strong expressions of interest from another two (overseas) IMs, who are currently in the process of booking their travel; so the Masters section looks as if it will be strong.

Just a reminder that Friday is the closing date for our special reduced price entry for people over 2000 (ICU): half-price for those between 2000 and 2199, and free for everybody over 2200. So far, nobody has taken us up on this generous offer; so now’s your chance to be the first!.

I would jump at it if my rating was still over 2000, I've always enjoyed your tournament and done well there too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I would jump at it if my rating was still over 2000, I've always enjoyed your tournament and done well there too!

Maybe you can float up to the reduced entry fee too :)

Maybe you can float up to the reduced entry fee too :)
    Normally I am against "floating up" but in this particular case I think it's a brilliant idea!!
    No doubt my participation and the easy rating points I tend to shed these days would encourage others to enter

Just a reminder that Friday is the closing date for our special reduced price entry for people over 2000 (ICU): half-price for those between 2000 and 2199, and free for everybody over 2200. So far, nobody has taken us up on this generous offer; so now’s your chance to be the first!

Note that we have already secured entries from one GM (Alex Baburin) and two IMs (Alex Lopez and Mark Heidenfeld) and have had strong expressions of interest from another two (overseas) IMs, who are currently in the process of booking their travel; so the Masters section looks as if it will be strong.

Is there any offer available to players after that deadline? I imagine Bunratty would be the perfect place to advertise this!

reunion wrote: »
    Is there any offer available to players after that deadline? I imagine Bunratty would be the perfect place to advertise this!

Good idea! I think too that every year Irish players going to big tournaments like the London Classic, Hastings and Gibraltar should be asked to bring a few fliers or a poster with them to advertise upcoming tournaments here like Gonzaga, Bunratty, Galway,Cork etc I always try to plug Irish tournaments when I play abroad but often that is only to a few opponents or people that I meet. Obviously the written word would reach a far greater audience.
    It was through good advertising and personal contacts that Gonzaga got such a great entry this year. Also,there is a real scarcity of decent weekenders in the U.K so it is a ready market for us.

Tomorrow (Friday) is the last day of free entry for players rated 2200 or over (ICU), and the reduced rate of €20 for 2000-2199. After tomorrow, the entry fee will revert to the normal early-entry fee of €30 (€25 for concessions).

Another IM confirmed entry today (Craig Pritchett, from Scotland), bringing the number of titled players so far to four: one GM and three IMs. I expect that another one or two IMs will also enter in the next few days.

A reminder that the reduced price for early registration for the Galway Congress ends on Sunday 26 February. Entries are flowing in nicely, and it looks like being another good tournament. In the top section there will be (at least) one GM, three IMs, and one FM plus a raft of untitled players.

Also, there are still rooms left in the hotel which are being held exclusively for chess players' use, but they are only being held until Sunday, so if you want to make sure of staying in the tournament venue do make sure to book your hotel room before then.

Full details of the tournament arrangements and information about the hotel accommodation are available on our website, from which you can enter directly.

This is a final reminder for the Galway Congress, which takes place this coming weekend (10th to 12th March). If you haven’t entered already, then please make sure to get your entries in soon: it only costs €40 (€35 concessions) which is next to nothing for a full weekend’s enjoyment. You can enter online (scroll down to just before the end), or by post to the address given in that link. Please note that on-line entry will close at midnight on Thursday/Friday, while postal entries must be received by Thursday. If you fail to enter and then have a last-minute rush of regret, you can still enter by turning up at the venue (Menlo Park Hotel, Galway) before 7.30 on Friday, though you will have to pay a late-entry surcharge of €15.

We are delighted that we have just secured the participation of Grandmaster Oleg Korneev, who will be playing in the Masters section. Oleg was born in Russia and learnt his chess there; he now represents Spain, where he is currently the fourth highest rated active player. His highest rating was 2671, when he was number 35 in the world, so he is a seriously strong player. As far as I know he has not played in Ireland before, so, if you are rated over 1750 (ICU), this is a unique opportunity of having a chance of playing against Oleg. As well as Oleg Korneev, Ireland’s own Grandmaster Alex Baburin will be playing, in addition to three International Masters, two from Ireland and one from Scotland, so the Masters section has a very strong field.

Of course, if you are not rated above 1750, you can still enter the appropriate section for you, and play against a range of excellent opponents, whilst also having the chance of winning prizes, and also of chatting to Oleg and Alex (between games) and also buying yet more chess books for your collection, and chess equipment, from Alex Baburin’s bookstall, which will be open throughout Saturday and Sunday.

Korneev played in Enniscorthy and Bunratty last year

Korneev played in Enniscorthy and Bunratty last year

Sorry, he didn't tell me that! He obviously likes Ireland.

• Advertisement

Very strong entry for Galway! I am looking forward to playing there. It's a pity that there aren't a few more entries for the Masters given the quality of the field. Perhaps there are a few too many events at this time of the year and too close to each other Gonzaga, Bunratty, Galway, NCC, Cork, Tralee and that perhaps at least one of them could be switched to August or October or some other month when the calendar is much quieter. I know that Enniscorthy planned on repeating their excellent tournament this year but put it off for now just because there are so many other events on.

Advertisement