Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation above ceiling in attic room

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Hi Mick , I have 2 Cold Bedrooms at the north end of my Bungalow , The house is 16 years old and has standard 50mm insulation in 100 mm Cavity. There are no windows on the north end so I intend to Drywall with Insulated Polyiso all external walls. How do I improve Airtightness ? Sockets/Light fitting all standard with Double Glazing, I would like to take it room by room and Improve Attic Insulation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

"How do I improve Airtightness ?"

Hi Tim, the short answer is to understand air tightness! (I've seen too many botched jobs done by people who (kind of) knew "what" to do but not "why" they were doing it because they never experienced the test nor had it explained to them on site.)

I assume from this question that you have never experienced an air tightness test before, so the first port of call is to have the house tested maybe as part of an overall heat loss survey and be present during the test. A good tester should not only give you a test result but should take the time to go through and explain the different leakage types and their impacts, available solutions (both long and short term), what materials to use and how to use them etc. This will not only educate you on air tightness but will arm you with all the information and knowledge you'll need to do a proper job.

Advertisement