Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Live stream the torture of mentally disabled teenager

Options
  • 06-01-2017 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/04/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/
    The disturbing 30-minute video shows a man tied up and his mouth covered, cowering in the corner of a room. His attackers laugh and shout "f*ck Donald Trump" and "f*ck white people" as they kick and punch him.
    The video shows someone cutting into his scalp with a knife, leaving a visibly bald patch.
    Police said the victim is an 18-year-old with special needs. Officers found the disoriented young man wandering a Chicago street "in crisis" Tuesday afternoon.
    He was so traumatized that it took most of the night for him to calm down so he was able to talk to police, Capt. Steven Sesso said.

Facebook Live streamed the torture of an 18 year old mentally disabled teenager.
    2 men and 2 women are in custody over the incident. One of the people in custody is said to be a 'friend' of the victim.

The victim was reported to be missing but managed to escape his attackers.

Facebook who takes down videos of women breastfeeding because it is apparently offensive, had something that was truly offensive live streamed to the world.
    It is being treated as a racist hate crime by the 4 African Americans whose victim is white.

Racism in all forms is disgusting.

Comments

youre attributing an active and conscious role to facebook in this, which is frankly ludicrous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

It would only come to Facebooks attention if reported. What an awful act, thankfully the morons did actually stream it so as it may be used as evidence against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

youre attributing an active and conscious role to facebook in this, which is frankly ludicrous

It happened on Facebook, they took down the video.

I am not blaming Facebook for the incident, but their service was used to broadcast the torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

RobertKK wrote: »

I am not blaming Facebook for the incident, but their service was used to broadcast the torture.

So companies should be punished when bad people use their services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

When you draw parallels between this and their stance on breastfeeding you imply they are being hypocritical? But they took the video down also as you say ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Their idiocy to livestream the whole thing is only surpassed by the vileness of their actions. Poor lad must have been scared shítless.

So companies should be punished when bad people use their services?

Did I say anything about punishing any company?

Some seem more concerned that I post about how the video was broadcast than the actual victim.

Noveight wrote: »
    Their idiocy to livestream the whole thing is only surpassed by the vileness of their actions. Poor lad must have been scared shítless.

He was also made drink from the toilet.
    So sickening what was done to the victim.

It is believed there were other videos made as well.

Did I say anything about punishing any company?

Some seem more concerned that I post about how the video was broadcast than the actual victim.

Your title implies that they are responsible for what happened.

What's the point of this thread, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

As a result of the video evidence those four scrotes have been charged with hate crimes. How they could do that to a mentally disabled kid :( I hope they die roaring :mad:

• Advertisement

Your title implies that they are responsible for what happened.

And you mention Facebook more times than the victim in your post.

What's the point of this thread, exactly?

I posted a link and a quote which was far more content about what happened, you seem more concerned about wanting an argument.

I posted a link and a quote which was far more content about what happened, you seem more concerned about wanting an argument.

An argument about what?

Evil people recorded an instance of them being evil.

You made the point that Facebook remove breastfeeding videos in your OP. How is that relevant if you're not somehow implicating them, or trying to make a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Each of the vile pieces of filth involved in that crime will be looking at about 20 years behind bars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it wasn't broadcast on FB then there would have been no proof of the crime. You could argue that if it wasn't for FB live streaming this then the attackers could have got off.

Which would be worse being tortured and the assailants getting off or being tortured and the assailants incriminate themselves?

An argument about what?

Evil people recorded an instance of them being evil.

You made the point that Facebook remove breastfeeding videos in your OP. How is that relevant if you're not somehow implicating them, or trying to make a point?

Breastfeeding is treated the same as torture - something very offensive, when breastfeeding is natural and good unlike torture - videos of breastfeeding are treated the same as torture - taken down.
    Just think Facebook should have their priorities right when it comes to what is truly offensive to be take down and I think it is good that Facebook could help catch real offenders in society and who are now in custody.

I just think you have been argumentative, making mountains out of molehills.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If it wasn't broadcast on FB then there would have been no proof of the crime. You could argue that if it wasn't for FB live streaming this then the attackers could have got off.

Which would be worse being tortured and the assailants getting off or being tortured and the assailants incriminate themselves?

I am not blaming Facebook for any of what happened the teenager.

btw I agree with you.

Breastfeeding is treated the same as torture - something very offensive, when breastfeeding is natural and good unlike torture - videos of breastfeeding are treated the same as torture - taken down.
    Just think Facebook should have their priorities right when it comes to what is truly offensive to be take down and I think it is good that Facebook could help catch real offenders in society and who are now in custody.

your thread should be therefore titled 'facebook take down video of torture, in much the same way as they have previously done for videos of breastfeeding, i dont see that the two are comparable. myself tbh'

admittedly unwieldy but at least then the opportunity for people to get confused wouldnt arise

your thread should be therefore titled 'facebook take down video of torture, in much the same way as they have previously done for videos of breastfeeding, i dont see that the two are comparable. myself tbh'

admittedly unwieldy but at least then the opportunity for people to get confused wouldnt arise

It was streamed on Facebook Live.

The title is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Only white men can be racist I am told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

lertsnim wrote: »
    Only white men can be racist I am told.

I was waiting for that. Well done...not.

• Advertisement

The title is accurate.

"Samsung Galaxy S5 used to stream the torture of mentally disabled teenager"

See how utterly stupid that sounds, even if it were accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The title is accurate.

I'm sure that plenty of women have streamed their breastfeeding live and only had it taken down afterwards.

FB can only respond to complaints and as with all big companies they take time to be processed. It's the people that are the problem not the software. Do you also blame FB for the person who live streamed themselves DUI and causing a fatality?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Actually I'm happy enough Facebook facilitated it.

It seems there's no end to people that are not only thick enough to commit vile crimes but also willingly implicate themselves for affirmation. A decade ago, they would have been little or no witness to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

If Facebook did nothing wrong, then why include this comment in the original post?

The incident in question was posted to a live-streaming service, it was taken down shortly after by that service and subsequently used as evidence

If you want to use the incident to "have a go" at Facebook, then don't play innocent about people calling you out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Actually I'm happy enough Facebook facilitated it.

It seems there's no end to people that are not only thick enough to commit vile crimes but also willingly implicate themselves for affirmation. A decade ago, they would have been little or no witness to this.
    My thoughts too.

Pointless sniping at Facebook aside, the proliferation of social media and camera phones means there is a much greater chance that these scumbags will provide accessible evidence of their own crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Breastfeeding .........................................................................................................................., making mountains out of molehills.

Are you saying she has small boobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

They look inbread to me…

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Animals should be dragged through the streets of Chicago and strung up out of lampposts

"Samsung Galaxy S5 used to stream the torture of mentally disabled teenager"

See how utterly stupid that sounds, even if it were accurate?

Yes as it doesn't say what streaming service was used.

The video is already being called the 'Facebook torture video'.

Facebook is also being asked why it took so long for the video to be removed from their site.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jan/05/facebook-live-video-chicago-attack-explanation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

No surprise to me, the anti Trump agenda leads to this vile criminal act. When people see Trump supporters as non human, vile rats, it leads to actions like this.

Advertisement