Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ragwort and Stones

Here's an interesting one. Roughly 2,500 died in our Civil War. Finland, same population had a Civil War at the same time. 39,000 killed. The opposing parties in Finland were in coalition in 1939! Granted the threat of Russian invasion helped.

Hadn't heard the original but really enjoyed the performance, nice and restrained. Well definitely check out the original thanks to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was nice to see the Cannings on, they are sound lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Good episode last night, I thought final guest was going to be someone with a depressing personal story(there's usually at least one per episode) but was pleasantly surprised with the civil war historian.

Would love to see Tubridy on it at some point, especially since his LLS retirement announcement. I'd say he would be evasive on anything personal though

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Only watched it now, thought it was a great episode, just easy viewing and interesting, loved the the music section at the end, in fact I've loved that part for the last few weeks, I look forward to the TT show every week tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Interesting historian. Such a shame that the way school taught Irish history made me hate it.

Really.

I loved both History and Geography in school but hated Maths and Irish. I found English OK.

French was OK too untill I had to drop it. Would have preferred to have been able to drop Irish and do French instead but that choice was not there then.

Anyway that's a long time ago now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Damian Browne is a dead cert to be on this. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't been on it already.

Not sure Jonny Sexton would go on...maybe Tadgh Furlong would. Tommy will then ask about brain injuries to depress things lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A genuine groundbreaker

• Registered Users Posts: 71,623 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Evening all! 😊

Who put 50p in the eejit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

She deserves more respect for what she does

Tommy, how dare you insinuate that wrestling is nothing but acting...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭sully123

Go to his gigs, you'll see plenty of ejits.

Tommy just answered his own question, wrestling IS pantomime.

Those who have witnessed Sammy Sausages' chokehold will know what I mean.

Sort of fella Tommy was referring to

Tommy has a genuine worldwide star on the show and he is coming across as a bit of a w*nker.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'm confused too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This is the Irish woman who's a proper star in WWE?

I mean last time I watched any of it The Rock was in it, but yeah I'm surprised we don't hear more about her.

She's very good at interviews, she could easily have got snarky about that fans bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's not. He's just asking in a way that a curious but not knowledgeable public would think.

Rebecca is well able to deal with these questions in the context of the sports entertainer that she is. She's neither precious nor superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Tommy completely disrespectful here. No need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Objectively speaking Becky Lynch is one of the biggest stars to ever appear on this show. It's a shame we don't consider her as such in Ireland. She's a credit to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,577 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

SoFi stadium is not a 15-20000 stadium.

It's absolutely state of the art the Super Bowl last year was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Yeah he's being pretty disrespectful.

She's a genuine star - famous the world over with 5+ million followers online.

Yes, we know wrestling is scripted. We know it's not real. But for an Irish girl to have navigated the world of professional wrestling to headline Wrestlemania is genuinely astonishing.

Whether you consider it an athletic achievement, an acting achievement, a political achievement or a mix of the three is up to yourself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

She did win him over in the end.

If she was a no-mark 'artist' from the West of Ireland spouting shite about spirituality, he'd be enthralled of course.

Although to be fair, she took the slagging well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He isn't for jaysis sake.

99% of Irish people know nothing about her or any of that stuff you just said.

She was very gracious to explain the enormity of her achievements and the following of pro Wrestling for the uninitiated, like Tommy and most Irish people.

I think she's brilliant myself and fair play to her, she deserves more recognition in Ireland and I think herself and Tommy just helped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

First time watcher here. He comes across like a wanker.

If Tubridy asked those couple of questions at the end about being a loner and whether she had troubles growing up the LLS thread would have exploded!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

Advertisement