Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIT Grand Prix 2017- 15th February

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Itziger wrote: »
    Good 1500 there and now Bishop coming up in the 800. Fine stream too. Don't know what the moany cnuts in the live chat are on about.

The meet was good but coverage was really shoddy. No clock on screen. Only half way through did they start giving us results. For the 800m start list they had athletes listed in the wrong lanes including one listed in lane 12 (WTF). Interviews regularly going to mute, including half way through Sally Pearson's. Commentators getting mixed up a lot too. They didn't know that the pacemaker in the 600m was actually a pacemaker. Calling people "moany cnuts" because they expect a higher standard is harsh. Not everybody tolerates mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That was our first time at anything like that and I have to say we really enjoyed! The 800m, 1500m and the mile were all fantastic races! God you could feel the pace and the adrenaline! Brilliant stuff.

Only little niggle was the people walking up and down while a race or event was in progress. We were seated near the front and missed have the long and high jumps from people walking past me.

Great facility in the AIT, back again very soon when my young fella is running in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The meet was good but coverage was really shoddy. No clock on screen. Only half way through did they start giving us results. For the 800m start list they had athletes listed in the wrong lanes including one listed in lane 12 (WTF). Interviews regularly going to mute, including half way through Sally Pearson's. Commentators getting mixed up a lot too. They didn't know that the pacemaker in the 600m was actually a pacemaker. Calling people "moany cnuts" because they expect a higher standard is harsh. Not everybody tolerates mediocrity.

So just back from it.

Overall I enjoyed it, the 1500, 600m and mile race was very good. There was no pacemaker in the 600m, Polish guy led from the start and got overtaken on the final straight. One guy dropped out. Bett was pacemaker for 800m but they thought he might try and win it.

The speed over the hurdles was amazing.

A few things that annoyed me were:

No electronic board for line ups and results.

When parking the car in the underground car park they only told you at barrier it was 3 euros and had to be paid now in exact change. Guy on the barrier very clueless.

I asked outside if I could bring sandwich from canteen in, got told yes but at arena door they stopped me. Saying food not allowed. No signs.

Said no reserve seating yet over half was reserved. Need to advertise it properly as if you get there early, you still won't get a great seat.

Overall I enjoyed it, would I go again? I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Have to agree, although I don't think it would take much to greatly improve it. Put a clock on the screen (basic), show results after races with times, follow the whole race with the camera (not just the leader, in Ciara's race they never once showed the chasing pack!). I don't mind the commentators too much and actually think Jesse Barr is pretty good and would like to see her on RTE in the future. Also they need to sort out the sounds for the interviews and get a better guy to do them.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Have to agree, although I don't think it would take much to greatly improve it. Put a clock on the screen (basic), show results after races with times, follow the whole race with the camera (not just the leader, in Ciara's race they never once showed the chasing pack!). I don't mind the commentators too much and actually think Jesse Barr is pretty good and would like to see her on RTE in the future. Also they need to sort out the sounds for the interviews and get a better guy to do them.

No one in the arena could hear the interviews and results were slow all over. Long jump became a farce at one stage.

• Advertisement

Without trying to pick on the commentators too much, Dick Hooper said that Niall Tuohy "is as good as Mark English really". What an absurdly ridiculous statement to come out with. One guy is a multiple European medalist and a 1:44 runner. The other has never broken 1:48. You can't take commentators seriously when they come out with nonsense like that. Not expecting Tim Hutchins type stuff, but you'd expect greater displays of knowledge than that.

So just back from it.

Overall I enjoyed it, the 1500, 600m and mile race was very good. There was no pacemaker in the 600m, Polish guy led from the start and got overtaken on the final straight. One guy dropped out. Bett was pacemaker for 800m but they thought he might try and win it.

The speed over the hurdles was amazing.

A few things that annoyed me were:

No electronic board for line ups and results.

When parking the car in the underground car park they only told you at barrier it was 3 euros and had to be paid now in exact change. Guy on the barrier very clueless.

I asked outside if I could bring sandwich from canteen in, got told yes but at arena door they stopped me. Saying food not allowed. No signs.

Said no reserve seating yet over half was reserved. Need to advertise it properly as if you get there early, you still won't get a great seat.

Overall I enjoyed it, would I go again? I think so.

There was a pacemaker. De Santos was. He dropped out at 400 after several glances around his shoulder. He was seen hugging the winner after. A job well done by him.

Commentators were talking up a WR attempt. Why wouldn't there be a pacemaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well, it seems I got lucky with the few races I caught on live stream. Sure it was a bit amateurish but the comments on the right were on about 'one camera too bright, the other too dark', the quality of the video being awful when what I saw was almost perfect......Commentary was ok (I picked up on the as good as English comment alright and thought it was a bit silly).
    Not saying they can't improve but a live free internet stream is a bonus on a midweek night.

There was a pacemaker. De Santos was. He dropped out at 400 after several glances around his shoulder. He was seen hugging the winner after. A job well done by him.

Commentators were talking up a WR attempt. Why wouldn't there be a pacemaker?

According to the program it was an English lad. Maybe I missed It. I thought the pole led the whole way around till.the finish straight

We picked out the bad points but surely there is alot of praise for it.

Some irish athletes getting a chance to run against class opposition and would never get the chance if it wasn't for this.

We constantly asked about getting kids into athletics, well this is one major way, amount of kids there was brilliant.

We have two great indoor arenas and all we seem to do is moan about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Some irish athletes getting a chance to run against class opposition and would never get the chance if it wasn't for this.

We constantly asked about getting kids into athletics, well this is one major way, amount of kids there was brilliant.

Agreed

In terms of performances the quality was second to none

- Christina Mannings 60mH performance was 21st fastest indoor time ever.
    - Ryan Gregson ran a new Australian indoor record in mile
    - Kyle Langford (u23) broke British 600m record
    - Liga Velvere broke Latvian 800m record
    - Johan Rogestedt became first Swede to break 4 minutes indoor

From an Irish perspective some great performances also
    - Robinson, Travers and Everard all being within a half second of each other sets up a great race for Nationals at the weekend
    - Emma Mitchel with a huge PB in womens 1500m which was over 3 seconds quicker than her outdoor PB
    - (as mentioned previously) Phil Healy went 7.34, 7.31 both quicker than she has ran this season and is number 3 on all time irish list

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Well I enjoyed it anyway, sure there were a few little issues, but did not take away what was a good event.

I watched it on the TV using my phone and Chromecast, the quality was quite good I thought.

Im from Athlone but living up in Dublin, so i was delighted I could watch it, for free from the comfort of my own home.

That's not even remotely true, and you know it. In my experience (as someone who has been or raced there about 10 times in the last two years) the comments about AIT in general are always hugely positive, and making a few comments about the quality about the live stream is not the same as always moaning about it. You said yourself a scoreboard was majorly lacking from the arena.

Agree about the positives, Phil Healy is a star in the making. Apart from Eoin Everard I thought most of the Irish had disappointing runs in the mile and let the race get away from them. I know Everard blew up but at least he gave a good account of himself. Mageann again looked a little stale but maybe just lacking a little sharpness against good quality athletes. I still expect her to run away with the Nationals this weekend. Disappointing English wasn't in the 600m (is he injured?) as I think he would have won easily.

Good quality from the foreign athletes as well, Gregson especially is a class act.

That's not even remotely true, and you know it. In my experience (as someone who has been or raced there about 10 times in the last two years) the comments about AIT in general are always hugely positive, and making a few comments about the quality about the live stream is not the same as always moaning about it. You said yourself a scoreboard was majorly lacking from the arena.

Agree about the positives, Phil Healy is a star in the making. Apart from Eoin Everard I thought most of the Irish had disappointing runs in the mile and let the race get away from them. I know Everard blew up but at least he gave a good account of himself. Mageann again looked a little stale but maybe just lacking a little sharpness against good quality athletes. I still expect her to run away with the Nationals this weekend. Disappointing English wasn't in the 600m (is he injured?) as I think he would have won easily.

Good quality from the foreign athletes as well, Gregson especially is a class act.

Yes it is true.

Lets look at you on this thread since the event started last night, You made one post before the last one and its was negative.

Yes I said the electronic score board would be good, but also mention plenty of positives.

There is no harm making some negative comments but you got to mention the positives ones also.

Yes it is true.

Lets look at you on this thread since the event started last night, You made one post before the last one and its was negative.

Yes I said the electronic score board would be good, but also mention plenty of positives.

There is no harm making some negative comments but you got to mention the positives ones also.

So making one comment about the stream suddenly = all we do is moan about two high class arenas? I made several positive comments about the event on different platforms as I don't really use this forum anymore (I now remember why I haven't been posting here much anymore!). I just happened to see a comment about the stream here and chimed in. I find it ironic that you are calling me out about making negative comments as in the past you have been one of the most critical and negative people about Atheltics Ireland and their work on the entire forum!

If you knew anything about me I mostly have nothing but positive things to say about Irish athletics and I will be at least one if not both days of the National Indoors at the weekend, supporting Irish Athletics. I won't be posting about it here but that doesn't mean it's not positive.

So making one comment about the stream suddenly = all we do is moan about two high class arenas? I made several positive comments about the event on different platforms as I don't really use this forum anymore (I now remember why I haven't been posting here much anymore!). I just happened to see a comment about the stream here and chimed in. I find it ironic that you are calling me out about making negative comments as in the past you have been one of the most critical and negative people about Atheltics Ireland and their work on the entire forum!

If you knew anything about me I mostly have nothing but positive things to say about Irish athletics and I will be at least one if not both days of the National Indoors at the weekend, supporting Irish Athletics. I won't be posting about it here but that doesn't mean it's not positive.

I was talking about last night event, that you decided to post negative instead of posting the positive stuff with it. And yes I am highly critical of athletics in Ireland but am might impress we have two class indoor arenas in ideal locations

I was talking about last night event, that you decided to post negative instead of posting the positive stuff with it. And yes I am highly critical of athletics in Ireland but am might impress we have two class indoor arenas in ideal locations

Fair enough, let's move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

You have to hand it to o caitain, he's a great athletics man and gets the job done.
    Great to watch it live at home and some top overseas athletes compete.
    Commentary very amateurish, they don't have to talk all the time. Think hooper meant tuohy as talented as English but injuries held him back.

Big disappointment for me was the lack of our so called star athletes not taking the opportunity to race against top class opposition in sprints /hurdles/ 400m.
    These athletes give the summer racing In Belgium looking for quality races and then when opportunity to race at home won't take it.
    Sad to see ait / club athletes making up lanes in races when some of our better athletes should have been there.
    Tom Barr could have skipped some races in the varsity last weekend and raced .
    Likes of gregan neville moreland could have benefited fromantic racing here in prep for nationals this weekend. These chances don't come very often.
    Fair play to Phil Healy and young molly Scott these athletes and their coaches not afraid to get out and race these two will be stars of our sport for the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Did John Travers run the mile and the 1500?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Did John Travers run the mile and the 1500?

There was just the mile race but they gave the 1500 split as a separate result, which was sort of confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

There was just the mile race but they gave the 1500 split as a separate result, which was sort of confusing.

They generally do that as you get a 1500 championship QT in a mile race. Maybe he was chasing time for euro indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Everyone got a 1500m/mile split - based on the race, I think it might have been Eoin Everard that was chasing the euro indoors standard, as he went out harder than the others.

John Travers ran 3:58 for the mile indoors last February, so he's already got a qt.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Everyone got a 1500m/mile split - based on the race, I think it might have been Eoin Everard that was chasing the euro indoors standard, as he went out harder than the others.

John Travers ran 3:58 for the mile indoors last February, so he's already got a qt.

It was a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭ooter

Just watching the women's 60m (I think) race and the winner mentioned a really good physio called Gerry, is that Gerard Hartmann?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Just watched the highlights programme. Seemed a good meet with decent fields, great to see.

Struggling to see what Jessie Barr brings to the table, how could she forget Ciara Neville's name?

Advertisement