Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Yeelights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

getting a 404 error on that link

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

pjproby wrote: »
    getting a 404 error on that link

Sorry. Link updated

Usually when you ask to include one in your order, they tend to say "ok"

Thanks-much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

how is gearbest delivery from china? are they similar to aliexpress -lost in transit or delayed?
    waiting for my xiaomi stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

OrdeP wrote: »
    Yes. If you ask to include or buy something like this http://www.gearbest.com/plugs-sockets/pp_281926.html?wid=21

So you would need one of those to plug in to the wall and the another converter to allow for say a lamp to connect to the smart plug. That would make the whole thing stuck about 6 inches out from the wall

• Advertisement

that is slowly dawning on me

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭OrdeP

So you would need one of those to plug in to the wall and the another converter to allow for say a lamp to connect to the smart plug. That would make the whole thing stuck about 6 inches out from the wall

I didn't say it would look well. Just gave a solution.

I'm still waiting myself for a EU/UK version

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Rather than starting a new thread I said I'd jump in here. I plan on buying some Hue bulbs and am holding out to see if they drop for Black Friday. In the meantime I got some Yeelights and they seem quite decent for the money. The only thing that caused me some concern is that there's a slight hum from them. However upon reading up on it, people state that the Hue bulbs do the same. Is that the case?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Rather than starting a new thread I said I'd jump in here. I plan on buying some Hue bulbs and am holding out to see if they drop for Black Friday. In the meantime I got some Yeelights and they seem quite decent for the money. The only thing that caused me some concern is that there's a slight hum from them. However upon reading up on it, people state that the Hue bulbs do the same. Is that the case?

I haven't noticed a hum and can't hear one now, but I suppose it might depend on how close the bulb is too you and the fitting and/or your hearing.

Good thing about Amazon is that they are very good about taking things back if you aren't happy (best to do it in 30 days if you can). So you could try and see.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Never noticed a hum myself, but I've 5 running in the house without any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Never noticed a hum myself, but I've 5 running in the house without any issues.

I have one installed as the main bulb in the living room and that's fine. I installed another in a floor lamp which is right beside where I'd sit on the sofa and initially heard quite a loud hum from it. It seems to have dissipated though so all's good. I'm quite happy with them so far. I just now need to train the missus not to turn off the light switch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have one installed as the main bulb in the living room and that's fine. I installed another in a floor lamp which is right beside where I'd sit on the sofa and initially heard quite a loud hum from it. It seems to have dissipated though so all's good. I'm quite happy with them so far. I just now need to train the missus not to turn off the light switch.

Check these out:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Bathroom-Wall-Switch-Flip-Cap-White-Plastic-Waterproof-Cover-PK-/222544061712?hash=item33d0a8e510

Stops people from accidentally switching it off, while still giving you access to the switch when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,402 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sorry to butt in!
    Are these the bulbs you guys are talking about?
    https://www.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_361555.html?utm_source=tt_de
    Are they easy to setup with alexa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

gmisk wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in!
    Are these the bulbs you guys are talking about?
    https://www.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_361555.html?utm_source=tt_de
    Are they easy to setup with alexa?

yes..very easy to setup.. download yeelight app for phone control
    and also link yeelight skill

Got this in post today, really easy to setup only issue I have with Alexa is naming device, I have to say "turn on yeelight lightstrip", is there anyway to rename device? It's a bit of a mouthful, I tried renaming in mi home but doesn't make any difference, also added device to group living room but no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

gmisk wrote: »
    Got this in post today, really easy to setup only issue I have with Alexa is naming device, I have to say "turn on yeelight lightstrip", is there anyway to rename device? It's a bit of a mouthful, I tried renaming in mi home but doesn't make any difference, also added device to group living room but no difference

Did you try renaming in the YeeLight app, as opposed to the Mi Home app?

givecredit wrote: »
    Did you try renaming in the YeeLight app, as opposed to the Mi Home app?
    That did it after re-adding to alexa thanks, pretty impressive little bit of kit for very little money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Sorry to hijack the thread but looking at buying a few of these.
    Is gearbest the best place to buy them? And if so, which type of shipping to go for? There's quite a few options.
    https://www.gearbest.com/smart-lighting/pp_361555.html?wid=1433363

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anywhere but gearcrap.

ED E wrote: »
    Anywhere but gearcrap.

Don't see any other stores mentioned in this thread. Where else can I buy them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

I bought mine from Gearbest with no problems. Not sure what shipping method I used but if you're buying a few and you're going with free shipping it might be best to buy them separately so they stay under the customs threshold.

I bought mine from Gearbest with no problems. Not sure what shipping method I used but if you're buying a few and you're going with free shipping it might be best to buy them separately so they stay under the customs threshold.
    There's so many shipping options and different warehouses I've no clue which to go for!
    Do you know what the limit is on customs duty?
    Hoping to order 3 bulbs and a light strip.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

There's so many shipping options and different warehouses I've no clue which to go for!
    Do you know what the limit is on customs duty?
    Hoping to order 3 bulbs and a light strip.

Item must be under €22 including shipping etc to avoid customs duty. I've had plenty of items get through to me at over that value but why take the chance if you don't have to.

Not sure which shipping option is best although I see the item is cheaper if you go through China...

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Is gearbest the best place to buy them? And if so, which type of shipping to go for? There's quite a few options.

I got mine from there I ordered more this week before they went off sale. Hopefully get them in 2 weeks or so. The one I have works great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭taytobreath

nigwerwig wrote: »

I got mine from there I ordered more this week before they went off sale. Hopefully get them in 2 weeks or so. The one I have works great

Ordered 3 smart bulbs and a light strip from GearBest yesterday in 2 separate orders, hopefully avoiding customs charges. One is priority shipping and the other is like 30-50 business days!

Can you get a gu10 equivalent to these bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Can you get a gu10 equivalent to these bulbs

No, they said they don't have enough space in a gu10 to add a wifi module but are working on it. It was due in Q2 of this year, but haven't heard anything recently.

mcgovern wrote: »
    No, they said they don't have enough space in a gu10 to add a wifi module but are working on it. It was due in Q2 of this year, but haven't heard anything recently.

thanks for that, i might wait so. those adapters would look ugly replacing a spot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Got a strip and another bulb last week works great. Got e27 light pendant from IKEA for 3euro to replace the b22 fitting. Not sure what to do with the strip yet

Advertisement