Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Are fogbows unusual in Ireland?

• 03-01-2017 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭ pauldry

Was walking in Sligo today and there was a white rainbow at 330pm. Unfortunately I didnt have my camera but it was a fogbow.

I was just wondering are these common in Ireland or are they unusual? I cant remember seeing one as clearly as todays ever.

There was drizzle fog and sunshine so i guess the conditions were perfect. Can anyone more knowledgeable clarify further?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,409 ✭✭✭✭ Graces7

I have seen them on days when the conditions are right, Utter beauty, but rare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭ joujoujou

Saw one last year, August or September IIRC. And that was the only one I've ever seen.

Somewhere between Ballymote and Bunninaden, co. Sligo.

Really regret I didn't stop and take a photo. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭ Popoutman

I see them regularly enough, though I have a habit of looking for atmospheric phenomena. Most people don't realise that they could be looking at a fogbow, given that the bows are generally free of colour and a lot more subtle than bows from larger raindrops.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭ space2ground1

There was a fairly spectacular one in Dunmore East in Waterford during the summer. The photo doesn't do it justice!

405628.JPG

One from last week. To be honest, I would not spot it (it's barely visible) but seeing weather conditions I knew I could expected one, so looked around.

Sorry for poor photos from the phone. :o

428717.jpg

428718.jpg

428719.jpg

• Advertisement

More experience or what? :confused:

Another one just a week after. :cool:

428852.jpg

428853.jpg

Advertisement