Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair Deal scheme

Options
  • 03-01-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    my mother has been in a nursing home for almost 3 years and is now at the point of needing to avail of the Fair Deal scheme. I would really like to hear advice on any potential pitfalls.

I would be particularly interested in input from anyone whose family member has availed and the scheme including the loan repayment process.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose the problem most people seem to be concerned about is the financial assessment of assets and the potential loan borrowed against these assets to pay for care.
    A financial advisor will be able to give you the right advice for your family, as everyone's situation is a bit different, assets may be no longer in the affected individuals name and so might be ineligible for consideration.

This is a good document by the Irish Farmers Association

http://www.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/PRSI-Fair-Deal-newsletter-Fair-Deal-p.-2014.pdf

http://www.ifa.ie/farm-finance/fair-deal-and-other-supports/#1473687662030-81a6b924-48dd

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/health_services_for_older_people/nursing_homes_support_scheme_1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Athdara

It is not backdated anymore. Not even for someone who has had no choice but to go into a Nursing Home from ill health recently. The only way it can be covered straight away is through transitional funding which has to be recommended by the Public health Nurse who will call to the person to do a date needs assessment & this funding is only for exceptional cases. My mother in law was diagnosed with cancer last year & just went downhill instantly, the HSE put this funding into place straight away & the Fair Deal scheme took only 5/6 weeks (would have been quicker but we were shellshocked & slow sending back the form). If your relation has been in a Nursing Home all this time without applying for funding then they may not be seen as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shadowgirl

hi, my mother went into a nursing home recently, we were planning on renting the house out so we could pay for the N.H, but i have been told that any income from the house will be assessed by fair deal.

anyone any idea of what % they take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Kalimah

It's 80% unfortunately. Probably one of the main reasons we didn't rent out our relative's house.

• Advertisement

thanks Kalimah. anyone tried renting the house out and paying the NH themselves? i was offered 3,000 for mams house per month. completely lost re this fair deal/renting etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Kalimah

if you're getting 3 k a month for the house that would cover a good bit of the nursing home costs I'd say. The Fair Deal application involves a huge amount of paperwork and assessments, none of which I did thank God! If your mother is approved 80% of her income will go to the HSE, and 22.5% of the value of her house ( done at the time of financial and other assessment) will be taken to cover the costs also. The 22.5% is capped- it's 7.5% for each year in the NH.

There is plenty online about the scheme. We found it great. When my mother in law's house was sold after her death, the 22.5% was repaid from her estate. By the way the value of the house ( as assessed by the HSE ) was much less than what we got for it in the end. Where you might lose out is if the value of the house goes down instead of up.

just been talking to my hubby and he thinks we should speak to our accountant about this as neither of us have any dealings with nursing homes/fair deals etc
    thanks for your help kalimah

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Basing info for paying for the fair deal scheme

Potential for fair deal scheme to solve homeless crisis.... they say they won't but it's something to be aware of

definitely talk to your accountant!!

Advertisement