Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Roomba or equivalent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ActionHank wrote: »
    Are those equally as good? I was looking at something with decent enough mopping functionality. Which model would you recommend? There seems to be 20 different versions on Amazon right now, all roughly for the same price. Thanks

No idea... mopping functions are a falicy... dragging a damp cloth across the floor isn't actually mopping... It's just dragging a wet cloth across the floor.

smiling emoji inserted for light hearted emphasis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Bluefoam wrote: »
    No idea... mopping functions are a falicy... dragging a damp cloth across the floor isn't actually mopping... It's just dragging a wet cloth across the floor.

smiling emoji inserted for light hearted emphasis :D

Whilst eufys are great i think a map with the ability to put in no go zones amd lines is essential for these vacumns to be autonomous which i dont think eufys offer at that price.
    As for the mopping, im waiting for one to just so the simple mopping pattern you see on the brava robomops. It doesn't seem like a huge step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Finally got the wheel for the Roborock, back in action. Jesus - I missed it over the last 5/6 weeks :pac:

Ordered a few extra parts as well.

Need gelp sourcing spare parts for roborock. Everything i can find seen to only have the parts for the white versions of their lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Give Alibaba a call, I'm sure they'll sort you out.

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Give Alibaba a call, I'm sure they'll sort you out.

Hahaha i guess im looking for a seller on there that people have used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

seannash wrote: »
    Need gelp sourcing spare parts for roborock. Everything i can find seen to only have the parts for the white versions of their lineup

What is the exact model for the white versions? Might be worth emailing Roborock support also.

For what it's worth I used Vankey Appliance Department Store on aliexpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

seannash wrote: »
    Everything i can find seen to only have the parts for the white versions of their lineup
    What's part you are you looking for?
    Colour should make no difference .

alec76 wrote: »
    What's part you are you looking for?
    Colour should make no difference .

It shouldn't really. Basically looking for everything including the housing the brush sits into as well as the side brushes.
    The only visible colour difference would be the side brush but I thought if I could get it in black I might as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I have €400 in vouchers I want to put towards one of these. So that rules out the likes of AliExpress.

Anything in that price range recommended on a more prominent store (Curry's, HN etc.)? Amazon is possible too, but I'm guessing at the price range I'll pay an awful lot of import fees (I'll check if they work on Amazon DE).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

mrcheez wrote: »
    I recently got my entire downstairs re-floored and got rid of the carpet (joy!).

So I have the perfect environment to let a Roomba run free and do the cleaning for me.

Has anyone got any experience of a Roomba, or are there alternates I should look out for? How well does the battery last after a few years?

I'd like to go for the one that charges itself automatically and resumes cleaning. The area to clean is fairly small (40 sqm) so perhaps it can do it all on a single charge.

we've been using roborock s5 max for 15 months or so now (since its launch). it has been great because it mops as well. mop isn't super awesome since it does mopping with just water, but it does help us keep clean. we've mopped twice in last 15 months or so - both times just the kitchen due to stickier stains that we left off cleaning for more than week.

edit: saw some comments on spare parts - i bought spare parts from aliexpress since roborock -xiaomi has great spare parts availability there + cheap.

it has multi-floor support, has lidar so good features in app to have no-go zones etc.

i followed reviews on vacuum wars channel to decide what i wanna buy. his reviews are really thorough and very helpful.

we have wood (probably cheap, since rental) floors. we have some carpets here there. roborock needs to be told to not mop on the carpet areas using no-mop zones in the app - wish that was auto. it also gets confused on dark colored carpets - thinking it is falling down (cliff sensor). i found the workaround for that online by taping the cliff sensors shut and putting a invisible-wall in the app at stairs etc. works well and we use it every night.
    with a <1 yr old baby who has started crawling and learnt how to pick up everything he can find and eat, it is very helpful to have a robo vacuum cleaner clean it all up every night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

+1 for the Roborock s5 max, she's being going for years in our house. I've changed a few of the brushes and now I'm waiting for a holder for the main brush but it goes about 3 times a day in this house, Mrs. Clareman even suggested buying a second for upstairs.

Now that I think of it the holder has been ordered for ages, does anyone have a good (cheap) local supplier for spare parts? I just need the holder bit

• Registered Users Posts: 41 IrishGooner83

Hi All.

I’m looking for some advice on a good quality robot vacuum/mop combo model. From my initial views on Amazon - the range is huge - and the price variance equally vast.

It’s a market that I know very little about and I’m not recognising too many familiar brands. I’ve seen price ranges from €150 right up to €700 and finding it difficult to differentiate on the jumps in price.

My house in is a bungalow and would just be for the kitchen, halls and sitting room mainly. All floors are either tiled or wood flooring.

Can anyone advise on brands/models that they have bought and have been happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

We got the Roborock S5 Max this week, after recommendations in this thread. Delighted with it after the first few runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

Hi All.

I’m looking for some advice on a good quality robot vacuum/mop combo model. From my initial views on Amazon - the range is huge - and the price variance equally vast.

It’s a market that I know very little about and I’m not recognising too many familiar brands. I’ve seen price ranges from €150 right up to €700 and finding it difficult to differentiate on the jumps in price.

My house in is a bungalow and would just be for the kitchen, halls and sitting room mainly. All floors are either tiled or wood flooring.

Can anyone advise on brands/models that they have bought and have been happy with?
    S5 max best money I have ever spent, my floors have never been cleaner and the brush on the front is pulling out items from under skirting boards that a brush or regular vacuum never could

S5 max best money I have ever spent, my floors have never been cleaner and the brush on the front is pulling out items from under skirting boards that a brush or regular vacuum never could

Thanks both above. Certainly sounds like ringing endorsements for the Roborock S5. Where did ye purchase your devices?

I’ve come across this special offer from “Geek Buying” with a 20% discount. Has anyone bought from them before. It looks like a very generous discount. Is this the same model you guys bought?

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Roborock-S5-Max-Robot-Vacuum-Cleaner-European-Version-Black-425153.html?Currency=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuzyrdqW8AIVxOR3Ch28nQVlEAQYASABEgLI6fD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Roborock are great. I've two. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. Mapped cleaning instead of random. Great value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I would say €330-350 quite usual price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭EletricMan

Anyone where to get S5 max spare bits, filter etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

EletricMan wrote: »
    Anyone where to get S5 max spare bits, filter etc

Order spares from aliexpress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭willciviceg5

Thanks both above. Certainly sounds like ringing endorsements for the Roborock S5. Where did ye purchase your devices?

I’ve come across this special offer from “Geek Buying” with a 20% discount. Has anyone bought from them before. It looks like a very generous discount. Is this the same model you guys bought?

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Roborock-S5-Max-Robot-Vacuum-Cleaner-European-Version-Black-425153.html?Currency=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuzyrdqW8AIVxOR3Ch28nQVlEAQYASABEgLI6fD_BwE
    I got mine from AliExpress for €319.00 delivered from Belgium, had it in 6 working days. I used the official store and I found the service great.
    roborock Online Store
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_mscR1hn

I got mine from AliExpress for €319.00 delivered from Belgium, had it in 6 working days. I used the official store and I found the service great.
    roborock Online Store

Cheers. Certainly sounds like Roborock S5 max is the route to go so. (You did well getting it at €319, looks like it’s currently €371 on Ali Express at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

roborock Online Store

While the prices there might be good, it must be the worst site layout I've seen since about 1999.

I'd bought roborock s5 max for 435 gbp in jan 2020 via amazon uk. i think it was new back then and also i was worried about getting a counterfeit from other websites.
    reading other comments, i could've bought it from aliexpress etc.
    i should've ordered spares along with the vacuum from aliexpress due to the delay but since i didn't eventually i placed a small order on amazon for just replacing the filter a few months later and a larger order to get more replacement parts from aliexpress.
    btw, great that a lot of folks are buying it!
    some gotchas I faced -
    1. i used to run my roborock s5 max at max vacuum power for first 2-3 months. i also used my fingers to brush against the filter membrane a few times while washing it. these 2 things used up the filter quite quickly. we aren't supposed to brush against the filter membrane at all + using it at balanced for most of the house is good enough. i use it at slightly higher power for the kitchen.
    2. mine struggles on carpets since it gets confused about cliff detection. tape white cardboard pieces to the cliff sensors if you face that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

brio09 wrote: »
    I'd bought roborock s5 max for 435 gbp in jan 2020 via amazon uk. i think it was new back then and also i was worried about getting a counterfeit from other websites.
    reading other comments, i could've bought it from aliexpress etc.
    i should've ordered spares along with the vacuum from aliexpress due to the delay but since i didn't eventually i placed a small order on amazon for just replacing the filter a few months later and a larger order to get more replacement parts from aliexpress.
    btw, great that a lot of folks are buying it!
    some gotchas I faced -
    1. i used to run my roborock s5 max at max vacuum power for first 2-3 months. i also used my fingers to brush against the filter membrane a few times while washing it. these 2 things used up the filter quite quickly. we aren't supposed to brush against the filter membrane at all + using it at balanced for most of the house is good enough. i use it at slightly higher power for the kitchen.
    2. mine struggles on carpets since it gets confused about cliff detection. tape white cardboard pieces to the cliff sensors if you face that issue.
    How are you meant to clean the filter then?

Raoul wrote: »
    How are you meant to clean the filter then?

i follow these steps:
    1 - open (roborock) dustbin and tip it upside down into garbage (main trash of house)
    2 - remove filter and tap it against the dustbin to dislodge finer dirt while on top of garbage
    3 - invert filter and tap against dustbin to further dislodge dirt while on top of garbage
    4 - put filter back and shake dustbin more into garbage
    5 - rinse each component individually under cold water in wash basin / sink
    6 - fix the filter back and close the dustbin. fill water from the opening and shake the dustbin side to side and throw dirty water out.
    7 - try rinsing the dustbin from different angles under the water tap.
    8 - keep filter and dustbin for drying near the window or on a radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Anywhere in Ireland you could buy an s5 max. They Re quite expensive on amazon. And ive never used allie express before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anywhere in Ireland you could buy an s5 max. They Re quite expensive on amazon. And ive never used allie express before.

Bite the bullet and buy from AlliExpress, it's 1 of the largest sites in the world and have loads of EU sellers, as it's your first purchase off it as well you'll probably get a few discounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Clareman wrote: »
    Bite the bullet and buy from AlliExpress, it's 1 of the largest sites in the world and have loads of EU sellers, as it's your first purchase off it as well you'll probably get a few discounts.

Good man, went for it on Aliexpress. Hopefully all will work out to plan.

New to home automation, trying to think of other things to make life a bit easier for parents. Any other suggestions?

More housework than climate and lighting controls.

Advertisement