Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is happening to this country?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Anyway, saying that the surgeon was a "massive" risk to human life for going 100km at night time is quite sensational. Probably worthy of a fine but you'd swear he drove a rocket ship through he place. I wonder if it's non drivers thinking that 100km is faster than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭1st dalkey dalkey

I think the TV licence is actually a better example. The OP I guess was trying to draw attention to the duplicitous nature of your legal system, but upon exception the example given was perhaps a little more gray than black and white. The TV Licence example however I think is something that warrants the question "What is happening to this country?"

But it dragged the whole discussion off topic.

It is also no longer the case. As far as I know there was new legislation authorising deduction of some fines directly from wages or welfare payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,569 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is quite clearly off topic.

I would have thought it was very much on topic. It is brought up every time one of these "omg the courts are terrible" threads start. and somebody always claims that people are jailed for not having a tv licence. and we have the same dance we have just had.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Anyway, saying that the surgeon was a "massive" risk to human life for going 100km at night time is quite sensational. Probably worthy of a fine but you'd swear he drove a rocket ship through he place. I wonder if it's non drivers thinking that 100km is faster than it is.

He was a mssive risk tho, he was driving at 110km, in a build up area that is very fast. He is putting other road users lives at risk by been so reckless, and his own life for that matter. It only takes a small bump in the road for him to lose control and cause a massive accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Can I ask what is your point? Do you have one?
    Jailed for not paying a fine, fined for not paying something that some may argue as dubious... What is your point?

My point is that one is not the same as the other.  How is that not clear?
    The thread is to do with "what is happening to this country" you have derailed the conversation over systematic that everyone is aware of, you have not educated anyone and literally no one cares, jailed for not paying the fine, fined for not having a licence. So your point was to point out this distinction?

he doing at least 100kmh down this road. at night. https://www.google.ie/maps/place/O'Connell+Ave,+Limerick/@52.6536673,-8.6353166,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNQPh9L4R8RxBb-1GHk-bEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x485b5c7d7b149c83:0x19dca555ada7f71b!8m2!3d52.6538891!4d-8.6352526 i would have thought that was pretty dangerous.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    He was a mssive risk tho, he was driving at 110km, in a build up area that is very fast. He is putting other road users lives at risk by been so reckless, and his own life for that matter. It only takes a small bump in the road for him to lose control and cause a massive accident.

A small bump to lose control? Jesus how are there any cars left on the roads in Ireland.

The thread is to do with "what is happening to this country" you have derailed the conversation over systematic that everyone is aware of, you have not educated anyone and literally no one cares, jailed for not paying the fine, fined for not having a licence. So your point was to point out this distinction?

clearly some people are not interested in an education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

O'Connell Avenue

If you think doing in excess of 100km/h through here any time of the day or night is acceptable, then you shouldn't be on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

A small bump to lose control? Jesus how are there any cars left on the roads in Ireland.

Ok then forget about your small bump!! How about if someone was crossing the road and he ran them over?? Either way what he done was against the law and he got done for it. You cannot choose which laws apply to you and which dont!!

clearly some people are not interested in an education.
    Depends on the source "ohnonotgmail" I doubt is something I could consider credible.

Ok then forget about your small bump!! How about if someone was crossing the road and he ran them over?? Either way what he done was against the law and he got done for it. You cannot choose which laws apply to you and which dont!!

I already said it was worthy of a fine. You seem to think a jail sentence is more appropriate.

Depends on the source "ohnonotgmail" I doubt is something I could consider credible.

I posted a fact not an opinion. Facts are not dependent on the source. they stand on their own.

Guy was driving too fast, I remember same thing happened to an Ambulance driver who was delivering an organ, and I am pretty sure Ambulance drivers are at least trained in high speed driving.
    Doc has what a lot of people may consider a legitimate excuse, but that is all it is an excuse.

Guy was driving too fast, I remember same thing happened to an Ambulance driver who was delivering an organ, and I am pretty sure Ambulance drivers are at least trained in high speed driving.
    Doc has what a lot of people may consider a legitimate excuse, but that is all it is an excuse.

Exacatly, the surgeon has no advanced training. If the judge didnt fine him in this case and let him away think of how many Drs. around the country would now use this as their excuse for speeding.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    O'Connell Avenue

If you think doing in excess of 100km/h through here any time of the day or night is acceptable, then you shouldn't be on the road.

The law disagrees, as he is still on the road.

I posted a fact not an opinion. Facts are not dependent on the source.  they stand on their own.
    The sky is blue, there you go, another fact, do you think I have educated anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

I would have thought it was very much on topic. It is brought up every time one of these "omg the courts are terrible" threads start. and somebody always claims that people are jailed for not having a tv licence. and we have the same dance we have just had.

Really? We are using "omg the courts are terrible" AH type language now? I know you "think" your opinion holds more weight than others however the comparison being made from the offset was between being convicted for speeding versus being let off the hook for multiple drug dealings. Not for tv licence ordeals. I think you need to stop dancing, it's novelty has well worn off at this stage.

The sky is blue, there you go, another fact, do you think I have educated anyone?

why do you have an issue with my correcting a post that was incorrect?

• Advertisement

Exacatly, the surgeon has no advanced training. If the judge didnt fine him in this case and let him away think of how many Drs. around the country would now use this as their excuse for speeding.

You need to back up the excuse in court though. Again it's a bit sensational to think that doctors all over Ireland would simply have to regurgitate this excuse and frustrated guards would have to let them go. You also realise there are grounds to appeal speeding fines based on medical emergencies?

He was called to resuscitate a patient and knowingly broke the speed limit, admitted fault and paid the fine. Calling him a massive risk to human life is very, very silly. That implies a mere fine isn't enough.

Busyness1 wrote: »
    Really? We are using "omg the courts are terrible" AH type language now? I know you "think" your opinion holds more weight than others however the comparison being made from the offset was between being convicted for speeding versus being let off the hook for multiple drug dealings. Not for tv licence ordeals. I think you need to stop dancing, it's novelty has well worn off at this stage.

I have not posted any opinions. I also did not bring up the tv licence issue

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,755 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not sure what this thread is about but it's not legal discussion.

Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement