Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15K to invest, suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

Key to true wealth from investing is to get into the stock markets at the bottom, get out at the top and hold the funds in safe haven assets during times of crisis. Now is a good time not to be in stocks or index linked funds.

Without a crystal ball that "key" doesn't exist but the lock can still be picked ;)

Regular investment, diversification & patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Augeo wrote: »
    Without a crystal ball that "key" doesn't exist but the lock can still be picked ;)

If you step back and look at the big picture you can see markets go through cycles. Every 7 to 9 years there's usually a crisis and every one we've over the past 20 years have been getting worse and worse. There are opportunities to be had in upturns and downturns in the economy provided you just need to chose wisely at each stage.

If you step back and look at the big picture..............

This is the big picture kid
    Augeo wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Look at the big boys like Buffet, Soros etc.. sitting on large amounts of cash waiting on this thing to play out first before getting back in. There's no shortage of bad advice on here just like with a financial broker. Trust your gut, look at where the world is heading, the worst is still yet to come.

What stage are Buffet and Soros in life? I am not trying to be crude, but they don't have long left. The investment stragety of men who are both 86 is going to be different to a thirty something who needs an aggressive and risky stragety to maximise their return.

Soros is a very smart man. The man also went long on the pound before Brexit, so he does make mistakes. Soros still is heavily buying and selling shares. It is not a secret. You can see online what purchases Soros is making every few months. He is still aggressively buying shares.

FYI Buffets believe is always keep 90% of your pension in S&P500 index funds and 10% of it in short term bonds whether you are 22 or 62.

Buying physical metals in 2017 is totally insane IMO. You can buy ETFs with a fee of 0.5% that track silver prices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Senator Palpatine

Key to true wealth from investing is to get into the stock markets at the bottom, get out at the top and hold the funds in safe haven assets during times of crisis. Now is a good time not to be in stocks or index linked funds.

That is extraordinarily bad advice.

The key to true wealth from investing is to avoid trying to time the market. "Getting in" and "getting out" is punting. Buy in a globally diversified manner and hold your investments. Naysayers and doom merchants have been spreading gloom for years; the global market is up 100% over the last five years. In times of market weakness, buy more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Still acquiring physical silver Hoor and will continue to do so until the opportunity is gone. The past few years the manipulators like JP Morgan have had the upper hand through their paper contracts but like all manipulations they eventually fail. I have to say I did not expect the markets to be kept inflated by all this currency printing and cheep debt around the world as long as this but hey it has allowed me to acquire more physical which I am happy about. Bitcoin on the other hand has been free from the manipulation for the last number of years as the banks can't compress the price through paper contracts and has now set a recent record $1050.

Look at the detail, there are articles such as that quoted by Nody which are not based on truth. If you look at the S&P 500 index for the last 15 years a $10k investment would be about $18k today which isn't great when inflation over that period is factored in. http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sp-500-index-is-not-your-buddy-2015-01-14

Whatever one may think of your views and opinions there is one thing for sure you are irrepressible.

On 30/12/2014 you posted the following:
    I will put my neck on the block and say there will be major increase in the price of precious metals in October 2015 while at the same time panic will spread throughout the stock markets around the world resulting in massive falls

The Price of Silver on 30/12/2014 was $16
    The price of silver on 31st October 2014 was $15.55
    The price of silver dropped by 2.81% from the date of your post to the end of the predicted armageddon month.

The S&P on 30/12/2014 was at 2058
    The S&P rose to 2090 on 30/10/2015, a modest increase of 1.55%
    Hope those figures are right

How do you think the performance of Silver and the S&P between the 1st January 2015 and 31st October 2015 compared with your prediction above.

On 19th January 2015, 2 weeks after your predictive/definitive post above you posted the following
    the crash will happen sometime between July and October. So it will be interesting to see who will be right later on this year. I think some might be eating humble pie and if it’s me I’ll put my hand up but we shall see.

Do you think you should have put your hand up?

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Whatever one may think of your views and opinions there is one thing for sure you are irrepressible.

On 30/12/2014 you posted the following:

The Price of Silver on 30/12/2014 was $16
    The price of silver on 31st October 2014 was $15.55
    The price of silver dropped by 2.81% from the date of your post to the end of the predicted armageddon month.

The S&P on 30/12/2014 was at 2058
    The S&P rose to 2090 on 30/10/2015, a modest increase of 1.55%
    Hope those figures are right

How do you think the performance of Silver and the S&P between the 1st January 2015 and 31st October 2015 compared with your prediction above.

On 19th January 2015, 2 weeks after your predictive/definitive post above you posted the following

Do you think you should have put your hand up?

I don't play the short game like yourself Hoor, this is an investment for the long term. Again as I have already said I didn't expect the markets to be propped up by all this currency printing and debt creation from around the world for so long.

We are over 8yrs from the last crash back in 2008, there is no fairy tale solution to the unbacked currency that's been printed around the world and if it takes a few more years before confidence in this global debt ponzi scheme to diminish then so be it. I am happy to invest in a physical asset I personally own and will continue to play the long game until the inevitable global reset happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I don't play the short game like yourself Hoor, this is an investment for the long term. Again as I have already said I didn't expect the markets to be propped up by all this currency printing and debt creation from around the world for so long.

We are over 8yrs from the last crash back in 2008, there is no fairy tale solution to the unbacked currency that's been printed around the world and if it takes a few more years before confidence in this global debt ponzi scheme to diminish then so be it. I am happy to invest in a physical asset I personally own and will continue to play the long game until the inevitable global reset happens.

You may be correct but do you think you should have put your hand up at the end of October 2015 and admitted that you may have called it just a little bit wrong?

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    You may be correct but do you think you should have put your hand up at the end of October 2015 and admitted that you may have called it just a little bit wrong?

That's a fair point, I got that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Nody wrote: »
    Sorry but this is so ignorantly wrong it's silly; here's an example of someone ALWAYS investing ONLY right before a crash through lump sums for the last 30 years. With an 184k original investment they are still a millionaire today. How is he a millionaire? Time in the market because the market recovers and then some between every crash consistently and currently there less than 10 people living who can even semi accurately predict the tops and bottoms of the market. If you are long term investor you invest monthly the same amount no matter if it goes up and down and you do come out a hell of a lot better than someone waiting and trying to constantly target the "right time"; consistent buying into a set of index funds and remaining on the market in thick and thin is the best way to grow capital for an amateur investor.

Love that article, thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Look at the gains missed though, no matter what correction your expecting, investing in stocks would have you ahead

fut_chart.ashx?t=ES&cot=138741,13874A&p=m1&rev=636193139676721326

Silver for comparison:
    fut_chart.ashx?t=SI&cot=084691&p=m1&rev=636193140046040213

I am happy to invest in a physical asset I personally own and will continue to play the long game until the inevitable global reset happens.
    I'd rather invest in the biggest and best companies in the world who have productive assets and generate dividends, over owning a bit of shiny metal.

The point you've clearly missed is we are discussing what to invest in now for the future, not going back in time about what was good back in 1998.

Physical gold is the clear winner from 98 onwards. Stock market has not been that good since 98 when inflation is factored in.

Silver has been in a bear market for the last 5yrs while stocks have been the opposite. I don't believe these trends will continue which is why I choose physical silver now for the future, we will agree to disagree then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Eleven months since an update here.

If one had put 15k into Bitcoin 11 months ago, one would have a good reward today and double available to you now for a long term investment.

Now, where did I put that crystal ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

If that 15k was put into bitcoin 12 months ago it would be worth in the region of 150k today.

Btc was trading at around 600 usd a year ago, it is now over 6,000 usd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Edit

It would be now worth in the region 180k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Ronan H wrote: »
    Eleven months since an update here.

If one had put 15k into Bitcoin 11 months ago, one would have a good reward today and double available to you now for a long term investment.

Now, where did I put that crystal ball...

The problem with this statement is that Bitcoin is not an 'investment'. It is a gamble based on speculation and hype. It has no underlying value unlike stocks, commodities, property etc. I like risky stocks, but I would never consider Bitcoin as a viable 'investment', more like something you could throw some cash at like you would when going to the races - fun money you can afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Prezatch wrote: »
    The problem with this statement is that Bitcoin is not an 'investment'. It is a gamble based on speculation and hype. It has no underlying value unlike stocks, commodities, property etc. I like risky stocks, but I would never consider Bitcoin as a viable 'investment', more like something you could throw some cash at like you would when going to the races - fun money you can afford to lose.

You don't understand Bitcoin, Blockchain, or Cryptocurrenncy if that is what you think.

Your advice could better reflected as Don't invest in what you don't understand, which is an excellent message itself to be fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

myshirt wrote: »
    Prezatch wrote: »

You don't understand Bitcoin, Blockchain, or Cryptocurrenncy if that is what you think.

Your advice could better reflected as Don't invest in what you don't understand, which is an excellent message itself to be fair.
    Why is bitcoin any less speculation than buying USD? Its not generating income by its self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

robp wrote: »
    Why is bitcoin any less speculation than buying USD? Its not generating income by its self.

It's also important to heed opinions of someone as prestigious as the CEO of JP Morgan bank, or warren buffet on the dangers of imaginary-castles-in-the-air computer nerd currencies or other related tech-geek nonsense.

The Dublin property market is the tried and tested way of making big bucks.

Edit : oh and Irish bank shares are a sure long term win also.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

15K to invest ? Why not trade with some of it on the forex markets ? check out www.binaryforextrader.com start with a demo account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 topgolfer101

The reason why bitcoin is way more risky than buying USD is because of the market itself. To understand this, forex is a 5 trillion dollar per day market whereas bitcoin is in the region of 250 million. What this means is liquidity (buyers for sellers) is less. Which means higher volatility in either direction. Where as forex is a much more liquid and volume filled market. So price is less volatile

Also consider the central bank and their stimulus programmes on currencies that effect world economies. They are designed to give a currency its direction and it's structure to remain at a safe price. The forex market can't make EUR/USD jump from 1.25 to 3 the same way bitcoin went from 10k to 20k.

Other factor is the liquidity providers. Major banks like citigroup and Deutsche bank are major investors in the forex market, which means less volatility and they can based on fundamentals and technicals push the price from key level to key level. So it is very easy to predict this based on the structured price patterns and the amount of volatility that is in the market

Advertisement