Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is music today a bit shït?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Shannon757 wrote: »
    I agree with you about Macklemore but not the others. And that Robyn song did very well when sung by Calum Scott

Sorry had them all in one post initially but boards must have an upper limit it seems. I thought the azaelia banks song was was the standout of that post personally, that and the song from drive. Still, to each their own! More just throwing out suggestions for people who osram to not stray from radio often if at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Billy86 wrote: »
    Sorry had them all in one post initially but boards must have an upper limit it seems. I thought the azaelia banks song was was the standout of that post personally, that and the song from drive. Still, to each their own! More just throwing out suggestions for people who osram to not stray from radio often if at all. :)

Or are too lazy to look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Or are too lazy to look

(I'm trying to be polite about it! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

The best music was the 90s!!

I wanna go back! Take me back!

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

All music sounds like this now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Cant understand why grimes isn't more popular, one of the best, in my opinion ,pop/electronica acts at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Grimes is what pop music today should sound like. Fair play to her for not sucking up to major record labels and doing it all on her own terms.

Also Nothing's Real by Shura was one of the best pure pop albums of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Grimes is what pop music today should sound like. Fair play to her for not sucking up to major record labels and doing it all on her own terms.
    At risk of showing my age and coming across all Grumpy Old Man - how much of what we're hearing is human voice, and how much is synth / autotune?

At risk of showing my age and coming across all Grumpy Old Man - how much of what we're hearing is human voice, and how much is synth / autotune?
    Less than what Kraftwerk used in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Indie music certainly seems to be on its deathbed.

• Advertisement

Indie music certainly seems to be on its deathbed.
    Indie bands seem to be less prominent than previously. In 2016 the trend shifted more towards indie solo artists like Angel Olsen and Mitski, and 'bands' where it's mostly just one member like Car Seat Headrest and Bon Iver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

If you look her up she does a live performance on a radio station can't recall where is it but it is fairly impressive

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Indie bands seem to be less prominent than previously. In 2016 the trend shifted more towards indie solo artists like Angel Olsen and Mitski, and 'bands' where it's mostly just one member like Car Seat Headrest and Bon Iver.
    Hence it being on its death bed..

Ham Sandwich are superior to any of the above.

Hence it being on its death bed..

Ham Sandwich are superior to any of the above.
    As long as there's musical artists who are willing to do things on their own terms then there will always be indie music. I wouldn't be so downbeat about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Bowlardo wrote: »
    If you look her up she does a live performance on a radio station can't recall where is it but it is fairly impressive

Just to be clear, I wasn't dissing the young lady - she may well be fairly talented. But to me, the voice on that track sounded like something from Alvin and the Chipmunks rather than a human voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I thought it was Kneemos turn to have this thread this month. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

They can't take away my classics. That's all that matters.

Although I do wish that the "curse of 2016" had taken some of the ****ehounds as opposed to decent musicians.

I used to watch them when they were just starting out. They used to play a small place in Burbank Illinois called Champs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 46 Rhaegal

Ive noticed there's practically zero bands anymore and what i mean by bands are lead singer guitarist pianist drummer base player etc.

Are the days when bands back in the day write and play their own music gone?

I do like Sia however.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

This lad is playing in Dub-a-lin town on Saturday night. I think he's class.

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, I wasn't dissing the young lady - she may well be fairly talented. But to me, the voice on that track sounded like something from Alvin and the Chipmunks rather than a human voice.
    Why are you putting so much emphasis on the vocals? It's not like there's a correct approach to vocals in music. Besides I like her vocals, there's an ethereal quality to them. She's a producer first and foremost though, her vocals are just another layer to the music. She writes and produces all her own music, is a multi-instrumentalist, directs her own music videos, and creates her own artwork. And without the help of major label backing.

The fact that X-Factor contestants get rewarded more for putting in far less work proves that it's the record industry that's the problem, not the artists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭population

Truckermal wrote: »
    Was thinking eexactly the same thing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

"Too many protest singers, not enough protest songs"

I think there are some good songs but not many good artists. Hot Tramp by The Riptide Movement and Resurrect Me By All Tvvins are two excellent tunes, but I don't like anything else from those bands. It's the same with any other good music I hear. I search for other tracks from that artist and there's nothing else I like. There's nobody out there now that I'd like to see in concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Pop music has always been ****. You're all getting old. simple as. Its basic psychology of "back in my day" whether you like it or not. Kids will always listen to **** you don't like, for that precise reason. IT wouldn't be cool and edgy if yous bunch of 40-50 year old farts liked it.

That new barking song. Sweet Jesus its awful.

it's terrible nowadays, I watched top of the pops 1984 the other day and was blown away, still have goose bumps.

my dad grew up and was "cool young" in the 60's and all of the references for that generation are all music based cos it was an amazing time like liverpool for the beatles, woodstock, the summer of love, etc, the stones, rod stewart, bob dylan easy rider, the graduate, the pill etc etc.

I grew up in the 80's and It was MTV time and movies seemed to define our generation a bit more than the previous ones, breakfast club, dirty dancing, flashdance, saturday night fever (although strictly 70's hugely popular in the 80's)
    the music was amazing and it married film perfectly..I feel it's as good as it ever got...I could literally cry with nostalgia when I hear the first few beats of I'm on fire..boys of summer...everybody wants to rule the world..I could dream about you...dont you forget about me...every rose has it's thorn..the heat is on..****ing crockett's theme ..... the 1990's were cool too, less so but still cool. Oasis, blur, suade, pulp fiction, the matrix, sound garden, ice cube....

what have we got today??? michelle pfeiffer as white gold... miley flash the gash cyrus... it's all sampled and unoriginal shyte..it would have to be for ed sheeran to proliferate as he does....standing in front of 4 jesters in emperors new clothes?? this is the way young stars hone their craft..a red ****ing buzzer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Music died on April 5th 1994.

Never mind. His brain was already cluster fcuked long before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think it's important to seperate the entertainment industry from the music industry.

The entertainment industry is boy girl bands singing and dancing over a track written by a producer or professional songwriter. X factor type stuff.

The music industry comprises of musicians and songwriters producing their own material.

There are some great artists out there in 2018, they just don't have the same commercial exposure as they once did. You're not going to hear them on peak time commercial radio.

You need to dig a little deeper to find them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement