Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Ulster Build up thread

Options
  • 29-12-2016 1:19pm

is5cronin.jpg
    V
    6129311299_18d100daaf.jpg

After the loss at the weekend to Munster by the Leinster A + others, the province will be out for revenge as Ulster fresh from their victory over the Pro12 champions roll into town.

Leinster will see a number of first choice players back in harness this week and omens are good for a home team win against Nucifora's Kisses men.

Ulster have been competitive in this fixture of late so despite sending a weakened team due to player welfare restrictions I still expect a tough game for Leinster.

Prediction: Ulster and Munster to field heavily weakened teams and Tony Ward not to write about it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Crustacean

is5cronin.jpg
    V
    6129311299_18d100daaf.jpg

After the loss at the weekend to Munster by the Leinster A + others, the province will be out for revenge as Ulster fresh from their victory over the Pro12 champions roll into town.

Leinster will see a number of first choice players back in harness this week and omens are good for a home team win against Nucifora's Kisses men.

Ulster have been competitive in this fixture of late so despite sending a weakened team due to player welfare restrictions I still expect a tough game for Leinster.

Prediction: Ulster and Munster to field heavily weakened teams and Tony Ward not to write about it.

Word on the street from Santry is that Sexto is in. Player welfare restrictions arent the only thing holding back a full strength squad travelling to Dublin. Ulster are muffled with slight injury concerns, SOB and Sexto wil be huge players for Leinster, if for any reason cullen hasnt got both at his disposal. I predict an ulster win.
    SUFTUM

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster should be targeting a five pointer in this game. Tracey to keep his place with strauss benching, even though James had a mare of a first forty last week. Toner / triggs in the row. Hopefully sob, vdf, jh at the back, though leavy in for sob might happen.

Luke / Jonny in the pivot.

Reid and ringrose in the centre.

Back 3 of rol, isa and either Rob or kirch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think we'll see:

McGrath
    Cronin
    Bent
    Toner
    Triggs
    SOB (Conan if SOB isn't available)
    VdF
    Heaslip
    McGrath
    Sexton (Byrne if Sexton isn't available)
    Nacewa
    Reid
    Ringrose
    Byrne
    Kirchner (Kearney if he's available)

Tracey
    Dooley
    Loughman
    Anyone's guess — Ruddock/McCarthy/Molony/Nagle
    Conan (Leavy if Conan starts)
    JGP
    Byrne? If he's starting then it might be two outside backs in ROL and a Daly.
    ROL

Chances of a curveball with Sexton on the bench: 23%

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Bit unfair with pics Venjur.

Our pack isn't as strong as the one you have posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

for ulster i expect:
    Charles Piutau
    Tommy Bowe
    Luke Marshall
    Stuart McCloskey
    Jacob Stockdale
    Paddy Jackson
    Ruan Pienaar
    Andrew Warick
    Rory Best
    Wiehaan Herbst
    Kieran Treadwell
    Iain Henderson
    Clive Ross
    Chris Henry
    Roger Wilson

Replacements
    Rob Herring, Callum Black, Dave, Franco Van Der Merwe, Sean Reidy, Paul Marshall, Darren Cave,Loius Ludik

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    for ulster i expect:
    Charles Piutau
    Tommy Bowe
    Luke Marshall
    Stuart McCloskey
    Jacob Stockdale
    Paddy Jackson
    Ruan Pienaar
    Andrew Warick
    Rory Best
    Wiehaan Herbst
    Kieran Treadwell
    Iain Henderson
    Clive Ross
    Chris Henry
    Roger Wilson

Replacements
    Rob Herring, Callum Black, Dave, Franco Van Der Merwe, Sean Reidy, Paul Marshall, Darren Cave,Loius Ludik
    Did Best, Henderson and Jackson not play against Connacht?

I can't imagine McCloskey, Mashall, Bowe and Cave being managed by the IRFU at present but no way are the likes of Best playing this week.

Edit: Maybe Marshall will be managed.

Edit again: Luke that is :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Depends on who Ulster are allowed to play buy I'd say we'll be without Best, Henderson and, crucially, Jackson...

I predict

15 Piutau
    14 Trimble/Ludik
    13 Marshall
    12 McCloskey
    11 Stockdale/Gilroy
    10 Herron
    9 Pienaar
    1 Warwick
    2 Herring
    3 Herbst
    4 Treadwell
    5 Van Der Merwe
    6 Ross
    7 Henry
    8 Reidy

Bench
    Andrew, Black, Ah You, Diack, Maybe a young gun, Marshall, Cave, one of the wingers to miss out

Edit - Personally I'd go with Marshall at 9 and Pienaar at 10.

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Peregrine wrote: »
    Did Best, Henderson and Jackson not play against Connacht?

I can't imagine McCloskey, Mashall, Bowe and Cave being managed by the IRFU at present but no way are the likes of Best playing this week.

Don't think Best will play but expect Jackson and Henderson to play.

Without Jackson we may as well not bother. It would be a guaranteed 5-0 for Leinster.

bilston wrote: »
    Depends on who Ulster are allowed to play buy I'd say we'll be without Best, Henderson and, crucially, Jackson...

I predict

15 Piutau
    14 Trimble/Ludik
    13 Marshall
    12 McCloskey
    11 Stockdale/Gilroy
    10 Herron
    9 Pienaar
    1 Warwick
    2 Herring
    3 Herbst
    4 Treadwell
    5 Van Der Merwe
    6 Ross
    7 Henry
    8 Reidy

Bench
    Andrew, Black, Ah You, Diack, Maybe a young gun, Marshall, Cave, one of the wingers to miss out

If Jackson doesn't play we may as well rest the other players too.

No Jackson, no chance. Shame but that's the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »

Without Jackson we may as well not bother. It would be a guaranteed 5-0 for Leinster.

Both Jackson and Henderson played the full 80 against Connacht. I'd be very surprised if they were starting again in the RDS.

• Advertisement

They can rest against the Scarlets instead. More likely to scrape a LBP there without them.

I just can't see Jackson being allowed to play. Between Canada, NZ and Aus, he played over 200mins this Autumn.

Henderson might be allowed to play if Ulster can convince *ahem* that he needs gametime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Jackson and Hendo need to play if we want any chance.  In the forwards it would essentially be Henry vs Leinster pack.  Agreed that Best will be rested

Jackson and Hendo need to play if we want any chance.  In the forwards it would essentially be Henry vs Leinster pack.  Agreed that Best will be rested

Peregrine is right, Jackson has played a lot of rugby in the last 2 months. He won't be playing.

Honestly we have no chance without him. I know I can be negative, but genuinely this game is a 5-0 if we have to play Herron or even if we have Pienaar at 10.

I predict

15 Piutau
    14 Trimble/Ludik
    13 Marshall
    12 McCloskey
    11 Stockdale/Gilroy
    10 Herron
    9 Pienaar
    1 Warwick
    2 Herring
    3 Herbst
    4 Treadwell
    5 Van Der Merwe
    6 Ross
    7 Henry
    8 Reidy

Bench

If Jackson doesn't play we may as well rest the other players too.

No Jackson, no chance. Shame but that's the reality.

Totally agree.

molloyjh wrote: »

Peregrine is right, Jackson has played a lot of rugby in the last 2 months. He won't be playing.

Unfortunately I think you're probably right.

Enjoy your win...

It's a shame the edge is taken of tje Christmas games.

Actually making effort to get back to Dublin for this one on Saturday, if we are sending down a rubbish team I'll be raging.

Little interest in watching us get thumped by Leinster in the rds again.

Henderson nor best will play IMO. Regulations regarding management will be in play.

Actually making effort to get back to Dublin for this one on Saturday, if we are sending down a rubbish team I'll be raging.

Player welfare rules against fielding players consistently, maybe have a read of CRISP document.

• Advertisement

I think the IRFU should look towards letting internationals play 2 games out of 3 between rounds 4 and 5 in Europe or 4 out of 6 between the end of the autumn internationals and round 5 of Europe. 1 out of 2 in provincial derbies takes the edge off the fixture.

Crustacean wrote: »
    Player welfare rules against fielding players consistently, maybe have a read of CRISP document.

I know how it works.

Just tired of watching us get beaten in the RDS and player welfare won't make me feel much better for it.

I know how it works.

Just tired of watching us get beaten in the RDS and player welfare won't make me feel much better for it.

Nor any of us, but this isnt football. Its a high contact sport as im sure you know, you look.at some of hendos collisions in contact its simjlar to a metro hitting a giraffe. I am disappointed as you are that we cannot field consistently but I thinkof the ladds first.

I think the IRFU should look towards letting internationals play 2 games out of 3 between rounds 4 and 5 in Europe or 4 out of 6 between the end of the autumn internationals and round 5 of Europe. 1 out of 2 in provincial derbies takes the edge off the fixture.

In a perfect world yes, but if we look at the IRFU history of progressive changes, they arent great.

Unfortunately I think you're probably right.

Enjoy your win...

It's a shame the edge is taken of tje Christmas games.

It's not the first time, nor will it be the last.

The decision is one that is taken in consultation with physios, docs etc. Each player will be different. For example if someone was injured for a chunk of the season it may be better to give them an extra run out as opposed to someone who has played a lot so far. From that perspective someone like Henderson might get a run in the 23 this weekend where Jackson probably won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Sure youre practically a Leinster fan now, it's win win for you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,294 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I still think it's a hint of an unwritten agreement to get each team a home win over the holidays.

That being said connacht have no guarantee of a win though through injuries. However if keatley and Williams start they have a much better chance.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I still think it's a hint of an unwritten agreement to get each team a home win over the holidays.

That being said connacht have no guarantee of a win though through injuries. However if keatley and Williams start they have a much better chance.

And the fact that fans would get pissed off very quickly if their team showed up to a home game with a weakened side and got beaten. They'll get over you doing that away from home a hell of a lot quicker. You win your home games first and foremost.

In hindsight could Ulster not have beaten Connacht with Marshall at 9 and Pienaar at 10 last week?

I suppose we'll never know.

Anyway, Best, Henderson and Jackson apart, I wonder how strong the rest of the Ulster side will be. In the past we've taken the piss. That said famously in May 2014 much of Munster were outraged at our selection, to the point some were demanding their money back because of our weak selection...needless to say Ulster won that match...

• Advertisement

Crustacean wrote: »
    I know how it works.

Nor any of us, but this isnt football. Its a high contact sport as im sure you know, you look.at some of hendos collisions in contact its simjlar to a metro hitting a giraffe. I am disappointed as you are that we cannot field consistently but I thinkof the ladds first.

Hendy being the giraffe of course

Advertisement