Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First camper advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

sean61 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! After toying with the idea for a while I've decided to get my first camper. I'd say max budget will be under €9k so I'm probably limited to early Ducato or Talbot models.
    I've done a fair bit of reading here on boards and other online sources but don't really have any friends who know anything about campers. From what I've read, rust and damp seem to be the biggest concern. Now I do have friends who have had cars and vans with big rust issues so hopefully they can check underneath for any rot. As for the inside, should I be checking under carpet, inside cupboards, behind fridges, etc for damp or is it a little harder to find than that?

Also, what are the pros and cons of different size campers? I don't really need a 6 berth as it will mostly be used by just myself and the missus but it's nice to have space all the same if diesel usage isn't massively different.

I haven't rang about any yet as I'm still researching but so far the only ones in my price range I like the look of are:

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/fiat-hymer/14223248

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/5-berth-peugeot-talbot-camper/13728535

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/fiat-ducato-camper/13720639

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/6-berth-fiat-ducato-turbo-diesel/14223287

http://touch.adverts.ie/campers-motorhomes/fiat-ducato-ci-6berth-motorhome-doe-taxed/10848510

Only one is from a dealer and it's a place in Wexford. Anyone have any dealings with the place? I might check out the one in galway seem as it's nearby.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered. It's daunting for a first timer!!!

Smaller ie shorter is better within reason. If there are only two of you then you probably don't need a 7metre van. Diesel consumption won't be massively different based on length. How and where you drive will determine this mostly. I'd look at internal layouts more than anything else. Go look at as many as you can and see what fits your needs. Where do you want to sleep? How much time will you spend cooking / entertaining ? Where will it parked when not in use.
    Best advice though is go for it. You'll never regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Buy a van that suits you, not one that suits the people that may or may not ever join you. A lot of the 6 berths rather than giving you extra space will have cramped dinettes and lots of pokey spaces.

I know people who made that fatal error and ended up with a van that hadn't a single comfortable seating area and the main double bed took up the aisle by the cooker so people going to the loo had to clamber over sleepers feet. Their old 3 berth was a fraction of the size but had comfy swivel seats in the cab and a very comfy dining area and a larger double bed so for the two of them it had much more useful living space.

Definitely go look at a variety of vans at a local dealer tier an idea of what you like and sit and stand and lie in them and think about the nightime as well as daytime layouts.

Space to dance is the most important thing...even if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Space to dance is the most important thing...even if you don't

All depends on the type of dancing. Some take surprisingly little space! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I doubt we'll be using it much for entertaining. We're in our late 20's so it will mainly for heading off on long weekends and used as a place to sleep and a bit of cooking.
    I can park it at my house which has plenty of space in the drive so that isn't an issue on deciding what to buy either.
    I had a look at the galway one yesterday. It's a traveller that's selling it but it was actually in very good shape. Not a bit of rust or damp to be seen and we spent an hour poking around inside and underneath. I'm hoping to have a look at another in kildare tomorrow which is a bit more expensive but sounds like a decent van. I guess it's just a matter of checking out a few and picking the best!

• Advertisement

I doubt we'll be using it much for entertaining. We're in our late 20's so it will mainly for heading off on long weekends and used as a place to sleep and a bit of cooking.
    I can park it at my house which has plenty of space in the drive so that isn't an issue on deciding what to buy either.
    I had a look at the galway one yesterday. It's a traveller that's selling it but it was actually in very good shape. Not a bit of rust or damp to be seen and we spent an hour poking around inside and underneath. I'm hoping to have a look at another in kildare tomorrow which is a bit more expensive but sounds like a decent van. I guess it's just a matter of checking out a few and picking the best!

I areee with the advice of crabbypaddy. Layout is the most important thing. A bit like buying a house. You know what you need / like better than anyone. Layouts vary just as much as they do with bricks and mortar. Definitely go look at and sit in as many vans as you can. Dealers offer a good variety - even if the price is out of your reach you can always have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you get a decent 'van, you'll find you'll quickly want to do more than just "a bit of cooking" and a good 'van, well looked after by yourself, will last years, so think beyond the bare minimum. At the very least, imagine yourselves going on a two-week continental trip (well worth it, although two months is better :pac: ) and how you'd use the space then.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I looked at a few and bought the 97 ducato euramobil in the end. It's fairly compact and has extra worktop and storage space rather than another seat/bed in the aisle so plenty of room to cook. It needs one or two minor fixes but nothing i won't be able take care of myself!

The leisure battery looks quiet small, although I haven't removed it to see what size it actually is. On my voltmeter the voltage does drop to about 12v after having lights and the heater fan on for a few mins so maybe a new one would be a good investment?

Apart from that everything seems in order. The previous owner turned everything on to show they work but didn't really explain how to use them properly. I've figured out how to operate the trumatic gas heater, the trumastore boiler is next but i think i have that figured out from reading online. The fridge I'm a bit stuck on, how do I switch between 12v/240v/gas?

I can't wait to get away for a night or two and see what it's all about 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Depends on the fridge model. Some need to be manually switched; some (like mine) know what's available and do it themselves. Everything should have a model number on it somewhere - you can usually get a copy of the manual online if you google hard enough (make sure to put the model number in quotes)

Congratualtions! happy camping ;)

• Advertisement

Congratulations and welcome to the world of Motorhoming!

Depends on the fridge model. Some need to be manually switched; some (like mine) know what's available and do it themselves. Everything should have a model number on it somewhere - you can usually get a copy of the manual online if you google hard enough (make sure to put the model number in quotes)
    Or, failing that, post a pic of the control panel and someone on here will be able to figure it out for you.

On my voltmeter the voltage does drop to about 12v after having lights and the heater fan on for a few mins so maybe a new one would be a good investment?

Battery-State-Of-Charge.jpg

Voltage ballparkometer.

Assuming its a flooded battery then the first thing I would do before charging it is check the electrolyte levels in the cells, if any cells are very low with plates exposed theres a good chance its scrap. You need to have enough electrolyte to cover the plates before charging, if not top it up with deionised water just enough to cover the plates, then when its been fully charged you can top it up the rest of the way if necessary. I would charge it for at least 24 hours before making any assessment of the state of it.

You can open and water sealed batteries too if you are persuasive. Not gel or AGM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Freddiestar

Would a campervan be any good as a daily use vehicle?

Something like a VW, thinking of selling the saloon and getting a campervan, sorry OP, don't mean to hijack

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/vw-t5-transporter-campervan-2007/14321319

Mine's a daily. 6 pallet payload van. Parkable/livable/decent mpg.

Would a campervan be any good as a daily use vehicle?

Something like a VW, thinking of selling the saloon and getting a campervan, sorry OP, don't mean to hijack

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/vw-t5-transporter-campervan-2007/14321319

Looks nice, make a great van for days out, I would have loved one a few years ago, now I'd go for a small car and a bigger van. You'll have to pay an extra 500 or so insurance to make it a daily driver, and if you already have a diesel saloon it will probably be 10-15mpg less economical so not much saving over running the car and a van. It won't fit in all car parks as he says in the ad will fit in the majority though. I've come accross a few 1.8m, a good few 1.85m and lots of 1.9m height barriers around the country.

By the way if you are thinking about buying it, definitely get a mechanic who'd be familiar with them to look at it. At 210k miles on any diesel you could easily be looking at injectors, pumps, turbo, dmf (may not have one in this year) and clutch, gearbox etc. the PD engine comes with its own issues like injector loom failures, cams and cam followers wearing.

It does look like its been someones baby though to theres a good chance its in good nick.

By the looks of it I think it's a car battery someone has fitted instead of a leisure battery. After charging it up properly it seems to last as long as I've needed it so far but I'm going to pick up a proper 105ah leisure battery this week.

I had my first stay in it over the weekend. Hot shower, heater running all night and a fry up in the morning. I wish I bought one years ago now!!!

• Advertisement

Car batteries are cheaper than car batteries with leisure battery stickers on them.
    If it's working why change it? Use it til it doesn't.

Car batteries are cheaper than car batteries with leisure battery stickers on them.
    If it's working why change it? Use it til it doesn't.

Well the voltage drops pretty quickly when in use. It looks old as well as being a small car battery so I'd like to change it for peace of mind. I get good deals on batteries from a friend anyway so it's no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

See if you can get insurance without a raising roof first, it may prove difficult even though by law it.ianr required.

Well the voltage drops pretty quickly when in use.

That's one of the many problems using voltage as a state of charge indicator for lead acid. The voltage will sag under load, and more significantly so when it's a large load on a small battery. The ballparkometer is only accurate after 24 hours of the battery at rest after the charge inside the plates has reached the surface.

If I had a serviceable battery and money to spend on a charge/power system enhancement I'd spend on solar PV first that acts like a second battery but lasts >25 years rather than another battery that lasts 3 to 5 years.

or I'd get a proper battery monitor.
    My €0.02.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭worded

Hi, does he ins co expect
    you to have a car and a camper in case you
    Are using it for every day use ? Or do they expect low
    Mileage on a camper van ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Freddiestar

This looks like a good deal, LHD too for continental trips, any thoughts?

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/7-berth-a-class-campervan/14384897

This looks like a good deal, LHD too for continental trips, any thoughts?

https://www.donedeal.ie/campers-for-sale/7-berth-a-class-campervan/14384897

Looks like a nice camper. The first thing I'd be considering is how close it is to the 3500kg. No point in being under the 3500 if you can't put anything in it. Get the unladen weight and I suppose you would want around at least 600-800kg for people, fuel, gear etc

worded wrote: »
    Hi, does he ins co expect
    you to have a car and a camper in case you
    Are using it for every day use ? Or do they expect low
    Mileage on a camper van ?

You need to show the insurance provider proof of access to another vehicle. iirc, they will even accept a company car. Otherwise they will up the price of the insurance by around 100%

Moomat wrote: »
    Looks like a nice camper. The first thing I'd be considering is how close it is to the 3500kg. No point in being under the 3500 if you can't put anything in it. Get the unladen weight and I suppose you would want around at least 600-800kg for people, fuel, gear etc

Is it typical for camper owners to have their vehicles weighed? Mine is 3200kg according to the plate. I'd say it would still be under 3500 loaded up but can't be sure really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it typical for camper owners to have their vehicles weighed? Mine is 3200kg according to the plate. I'd say it would still be under 3500 loaded up but can't be sure really

I'd take it to the dump.

Get a printout from the person there and use that as a guide.
    Once the tanks are topped off, water fuel and waste, plus people and food, drink etc it could be very close or even over max weight.

Advertisement