Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling VHI Policy upon Death of Holder?

Options
  • 24-12-2016 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

A friend of mine died yesterday and I am looking for information to help out his wife.

He was on VHI Healthcare and the renewal is coming up soon. We can't find any information on how to freeze the policy until she can get a death certificate for proof of death and with it being Xmas, they are closed until the 29th which makes it more stressful for her.

Would anyone have any information/experience with this issue?
    Also, does it cost to cancel the policy in the event of a death?

Any help at all would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry to hear of your loss.

If his wife or whoever will be looking after his affairs calls VHI they will close the account once they receive the preliminary death certificate, they will likely put on a note on the policy that they were informed on x date.

If the policy is paid monthly and is mid term there may be some outstanding levy fee to pay, there would be in the case of someone cancelling their own cover but this may not apply in the event of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

May or may not work but VHI have a travel Insurance section. See if there os a number you can ring if you have an accident abroad and ring that (normally they have someone answering the phone in case someone has an accident on holidays all year round). They maybe able to log you friend's death in the system. I am very sorry for youe loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There is a 14 day cooling off period where she can cancel after renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

His bank account should be frozen by the bank as soon as they hear he's died. So that will stop the premium from automatically paying. And then just don't pay it manually either.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Just cancel the Direct Debit and any others with the bank..............worry about VHI later when you/her have time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I had the unfortunate task of doing this for my parents policy which falls due for renewal with Aviva/Irish Life on the 31st December. The policy was in joint names and my Father died on the 10th of this month. What they did was cancel the existing policy from 10/12 and gave a credit up to the end of the month and issued a single policy in my Mother's name from 10/12. I only made the call on 21/12, but they backdated the alteration

No paperwork or certs needed and it was a joint bank account, so the payment details didn't change. Hope this helps

Advertisement