Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go long or die trying

Options
  • 23-12-2016 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

First off, Thanks to everyone that responded to my plea for guidance on a long distance coach. After much research online and in the real world, I have decided to go coachless.
    I will have the ear of the various coaches in my club (until they get sick of my stupid questions, at least!) and the more experienced athletes in the club are generally excellent at passing on advice etc. What answers I can't find I hope to find online (maybe from your good selves, maybe elsewhere).

My Background:
    A misspent youth playing rugby and golf, followed by a decade of partying in my twenties left me with little or no athletic background before starting triathlon 2 years ago. I have slowly learnt to swim and build up my bike and run fitness peaking with a 5 and a quarter hr Dublin half iron this year.

My aims for the year (in order):
    1: Enjoy the journey as much as possible - that's why we do it after all.
    2: Finish Ironman Austria.
    3: Finish Ironman Austria in 10:59:59 or better.

Current condition:
    Ringer for the Michelin man (5ft 10 and 79kg)
    After an illness in October/November which kept me out of training for nearly 4 weeks, I managed to get two weeks in late November early December before an accident in work has sidelined me again (bad ligament damage in my ankle). Physio has promised me I will be swimming and cycling before New Years Eve but refuses to commit to a date for running (which is a worry).
    Needless to say I am seriously p*#%ed with preparation to date, but it can only get better.

My hopes for this training log:
    1: that it motivates me,
    2: that it becomes an avenue to vent,
    3: that it becomes a permanent record of what happens over the next 6 months and that I can look back and realise how naive pre-ironman 9 crimes was,
    4: that anyone that takes the time to read this finds it interesting and engaging.

So with that, let's go long or die trying!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Thursday 29th: visit to physio and I have gotten the all clear to ease back into training, still no running but delighted to be able to swim and cycle.

Friday 30th: cycle: turbo 90mins. Wearing ankle support and very wary of overdoing it, I kept it steady the whole way in z2 and watched Fury with Brad Pitt. I'd give it a solid 8.5.

Saturday 31st: swim: 35mins 1000m. Mistimed my day and didn't leave a lot of time for this session and pool was crowded too which didn't help. Simple 300m warmup, 600m drills (focus for the next few weeks will be on technique). 100m warmdown.

Saturday 31st: cycle: turbo 75mins. Wore ankle support again and like the day before I kept it steady z2 all the way.
    Watched the Leinster game, they should have got the bonus point - it might cost them later in the season.

Sunday 1st: rest - a combo of a hangover and a social event today means no training. Double sesh planned for tomorrow to make up for it.

Monday 2nd: swim: 50mins 1700m. 400m warm up, 800m drills, 4*100m off 2:20, 100m warm down. Was supposed to be 8*100m but injury flared up so I stopped the 100's and did an easy warm down as I don't want to aggravate anything.

Cycle: turbo: 55mins. 13min warm up easy, upped resistance and into the big ring and went up and down the gears, twice up, twice down spending a min in each gear. Cadence dropped a good bit in the harder gears and drifted into wrong HR for a bit. Warm down 5mins. A very enjoyable turbo session though!

Tuesday 3rd: cycle: turbo: 45mins. 10min warmup with 5*10sec sprints sprinkled in. 5min big ring 7/10effort, 3min small ring 3/10effort *4 and a 3min warmdown.

Yoga: 30mins: worked the core, hips and itb mainly as I am a bit restricted in what I can do at the mo.

Wednesday 4th: swim: 1hr 2.1k. 400m wu, 1100m drills, 5*100 off 2:20, 100m cool down.

Yoga: 30mins: injury a bit better today so i focused a bit more on an overall stretch.

Thursday 5th: rest, was due to see physio tonight but she cancelled.

Friday 6th: swim: 1hr 2k. 400m wu, 1300m drills, 3*100 off 2:20. Got a bad pain kicking off wall for 4th 100 so stopped immediately.

Yoga: 35mins: overall stretching.

Saturday 6th: cycle: turbo: 40mins. Steady z2 all the way. Did this fasted before my re-arranged physio. Injury is improving, I just need to keep rehabbing it like a mad yoke and I might be running by next weekend.

Sunday 7th: cycle: 2hrs 51k avg 26kph. This was my first time out on the bike in the real world in nearly 2months and I was like a kid at Xmas. Kept it steady z2 all the way.

Totals: 8hr 45min
    Swim: 2hr 50min
    Cycle: 2hrs
    Turbo: 2hrs 20min
    Yoga: 1hr 35min

While it doesn't look like much, I am happy with how the week has gone. I didn't want to go from 0 to 15hrs in week 1. Swimming is slow at the moment but I am hoping that will change as my injury improves. Hope to run again soon also.

Monday 9th: swim: 60min 1800m. Club coached session. After informing the coach of my injury he put me in a slower lane and we did the following:
    300m wu
    16*50 every 4th fast off 80 sec
    100 easy
    12* 50 as 50 kick, 50 swim
    Found this session easy and didn't feel the injury at all, back to my normal lane next week I think!

Tuesday 10th: yoga: 30min. Easy yoga session and some rehab exercises to keep loose.

Cycle: turbo: 40min.
    10min with 5*10 sec sprints incl.
    5min hard, 3min easy, *3
    2min warmdown.

Was home late from work and had to do more work at home so this turbo was a lot shorter than I wanted. Housemate had left heating on though, so it was twice the sweat in half the time!

Wednesday 11th: s&c class: 55min. Adjusted one or two exercises for injury but this was a seriously tough session. Hammies are gonna be sore for days!

Thursday 12th: yoga: 30mins. Same as Tuesday just stretching and rehab. Body was much stiffer after s&c last night though.

Swim: 1hr. Thought I was not going to be able for this but it felt good, actually.
    400m wu
    10*100 off 2:15
    4*50 off 70
    100 easy
    2*200 off 4:20
    100m cool down
    Total 2.2k

Friday 13th: cycle: turbo: 90mins. Steady all the way, watched Eddie the eagle on netflix - funny, if you're in the mood for it.

Saturday 14th: s&c class: 55min. Only planning 1 of these a week from now on, but wanted to get 2 in this week, to get a jump on things. Happily I wasn't as sore after today's session as I was after Wednesday's and didn't modify any exercises - I am ready to run!!

Cycle:turbo: 50mins. Same as last Monday's session.
    10min wu
    Up resistance and into the big ring, then up and down the gears twice spending a min in each gear
    8min wd
    Did this watching the Munster game (I'm an avid fan!) and it defo helped distract me during the hard few mins each time.

Sunday 15th: run: 50mins. first run in months and did this with the club. Was planning on doing the warmup with them and then heading off for an easy 5k or something but the coach reckoned I would be fine doing their session so I stuck with them for the following:

10min easy warmup
    10min dynamic stretching and drills
    10*1min hard, 1 min off, focusing on technique
    10min wd

Delighted with getting this session done, disgusted with lack of fitness!!

Swim: 2hr 30.
    Cycle: Nil.
    Turbo: 3hrs.
    Run: 50mins.
    S&c: 1hr 50.
    Yoga: 1hr.
    Total: 9hr 20.

Second week in and highlights in abundance. Finding the swim easy on Monday was great psychologically, even if it was in a slower lane. Getting 2 s&c classes done was a positive but overall highlight was running again, even if my fitness was bordering on comical.

Monday 16th: Swim: 60min. club session as follows:
    350wu
    16*50 of 75 every 4th fast (kept the fast ones all within 53-55s)
    100 easy
    3*(4*50 off 60sec and then 100 off 2:20)
    50 wd
    total 2.2k - happy to make all the 50s off 60 easily enough, swim is defo improving slowly.

yoga:30min. mix of yoga and physio exercises.

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: S&C: 90mins. mix of physio exercises, yoga and 60min s&c class.

Thursday: swim:60min. this was meant to be a long run but my back was in bits after Wednesday and I am in peak hypochondriac mode at the moment so I took no chances and went for a swim, which turned out to be my best swim in some time -
    400wu
    10*100 off 2:15 - all done easily around the 1:55 mark (tried to maintain technique throughout)
    4*50 off 65, no problem hitting 53/54s for these.
    2*200 off 4:20 (3:53 and a 3:46)
    100wd
    3:46 is easily my best 200 in some time and I wasn't even pushing flat out.

Friday: Not a rest day but nothing done as life got in the way.

Saturday: cycle: 2hr 41min - 72.2km. steady as she goes all the way although I was starting to puff a bit in the last 6/7k

Sunday: run:1hr. interval run with club, only run this week which I am not happy about (see Friday entry)

10min jog
    10min activation exercises
    6*400 with 50 sec rest
    10min wd
    simple session and I enjoyed it and more importantly there was no injury reaction.

Swim 50mins
    400wu (7:54 - think its my fastest warm up ever and I only pushed for about 15m to overtake another swimmer)
    drills - 30 mins. you name it, I probably drilled it.
    2*100 off 2:10 - just to wake myself up a bit
    100wd

Swim: 2hr 50
    Cycle: 2hr 41
    run: 1hr
    s&c: 90
    yoga: 30
    total 8hr 30

Not an ideal week session wise, I was hoping to clear 10hrs but I am happy with my first 'long' cycle and the clear improvement in swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Are you in 3D by any chance? It's just the days you do your club swim and club run would fit in with that.

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    Are you in 3D by any chance? It's just the days you do your club swim and club run would fit in with that.

Yes - and we even chatted about me joining boards at the awards night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

9Crimes wrote: »
    Yes - and we even chatted about me joining boards at the awards night!

Well I see a join date of 'Sep 2016', which would have been before the awards night. So you must have been snooping before then. Beer was freely flowing at the awards night, so not 100% sure of this. CF, is it?

zico10 wrote: »
    Well I see a join date of 'Sep 2016', which would have been before the awards night. So you must have been snooping before then. Beer was freely flowing at the awards night, so not 100% sure of this. CF, is it?

The one and only. I had joined and posted about long distance coach before awards night, that's what we were chatting about. And yes, €3 drinks tend to flow more freely than most.

Monday 23rd: yoga/prehab:30 mins. The usual, gotta maintain the body for the training volume to come.
    Swim: 60mins: 2.3k. Felt good throughout the hour and was very happy with how it went.
    (4*50 desc 1-4 off 75) *2
    100 easy
    (3*100 off 2min) 60 sec rest, *3
    100 easy
    3*200 off 4min 3:51,3:50,3:46 (delighted to find these so easy)
    50 easy
    3*50 off 70
    Total 2.3k and my best swim in a long time.

Tuesday 24th: prehab:30min. Got this in straight before my run

Run: 62min: slow all the way with 5*20sec pickups every km in the middle of the run. Bit stiff the day after this but that's to be expected.

Wednesday 25th: s&c class: 70min. My usual Wednesday class.

Thursday 26th: rest

Friday 27th: performance testing: very interesting, got all the usual metrics and some advice on how to improve. Surprise surprise primary concern is weight and lack of fitness. Took all afternoon but was only on the bike for about an hour.

Saturday 28th:cycle: 2hr. Easy all the way (averaged 25.1kph). Wanted to go for longer but was late starting and light was fading, so safety first!

Prehab/ s&c: 45mins.

Sunday: run: warm up 20mins include activation exercises with club followed by 71min VERY easy (10.52k) on my own and a cool down after.

Swim: 90min: 400m warm up -7:58
    10*100m (all between 1:52-1:56) 15sec rest between each.
    35min drills
    6*50 (53-56sec) with 15 sec rest between each
    50 easy
    Total 1.75k excl drills.

Swim: 2hr 30
    Cycle: 2hr
    Run: 2hr 33
    S&c: 1hr 10
    Yoga: 2hr 5
    Total:10hr 18min

A good weeks total, I think, considering the performance testing was also this week and I had to shorten my cycle. Was hoping to get an extra swim in but it just wouldn't fit in anywhere which is why I did 90mins on Sunday. Volume will increase steadily from here for a few weeks now - I'm looking forward to it.

Monday 30th: yoga:30min

swim: 60mins: 16*50 off 70 every 4th fast
    6*200 off 4:30 (all done within 3:45-3:50)
    6*50 off 80 first 15m off each absolutely flat out
    Felt good but not as good as last week

Tuesday31st: commute 25min in the morning
    Commute 25min and straight to
    Turbo: 95min - steady all the way, kept this and the commute in the in z2. 4hours since lunch so I'm calling this fasted!

Wednesday 1st: 75min: s&c class and some prehab

Thursday 2nd: swim: 60min: 400m wu
    30min drills
    10*100m off 2:15 - happy to say I got faster as the set went on.
    50wd
    Total 1.65k

Turbo: 30min: 10min wu
    2*(3min medium, 2min hard, 1min extra hard) 2min recovery between
    6min wd

Friday 3rd: rest

Saturday 4th: cycle: 3hr 30min: 90k avg25.7kph. Kept in zone 2all the way. Bit chilly this morning!

Sunday: prehab/s&c: 45min
    Run: 105min - 30min wu and activation exercises with club.
    75mins slow and steady (fasted). Kept it z2. Worried about how slow I have to run to stay in z2. Not going to panic - yet.

Swim: 60min: 400wu
    15min drills
    12*50 off 70 every 4th fast. All fast were 46-48sec, rest were 53-57sec
    100 easy
    3*200 off 4:30 (3:51, 3:48, 3:47)
    50wd
    Total: 1.75k

S&C: 30mins

Swim: 3hr
    Cycle: 3hr 30min
    Turbo: 2hr (including commute)
    Run: 1hr 45min
    S&c: 2hr 30min
    Yoga: 30min
    Total: 13hr 15min

Target for week was 13.5hrs so I'm content enough. Diet was crap this week, gotta improve and start dropping some weight. I'm limiting my running until the weight comes down a bit more and the load lightens. Surprisingly enough the hardest day this week was Friday, I was buzzing to do a session and had to talk myself out of doing something.

• Advertisement

Monday 6th: prehab:35min

Swim: 1hr : 400wu
    5*(4*50 off 75 desc 1-4) fast were 45-47sec
    50 easy
    6*100 off 2:15 desc 1-3 fast were 1:43 & 1:41
    100 easy
    8*25 off 45 every 2nd one flat out
    Total 2.35k and I am swimming well. Long may it continue!

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: s&c: 75min

Thursday: swim:1hr: 400wu
    30min drills
    8*100 off 2:15
    Not as strong as Monday, but I'm a bit sore from s&c and tired from mental work week

Friday: rest - not by choice. Off to Spain tomorrow and had loads to do in work before going so no time to train today!

Saturday: travel to Spain

Sunday: cycle: 2hr 30min
    Dist:53.75k speed 21.54kph ascent: 1,036m
    First day of a weeks training in Spain so I tried my best to keep the enthuasiasm in check and take it easy

Swim: 2hr
    S&c: 1hr 15
    Prehab: 35min
    Cycle: 2hr 30min
    Total: 6hr 20

Plan was for much more this week but a combo of crazy work hours and bad weather on Sunday in Spain shortened the training. I need less weeks like this.

Monday 13th: cycle: 76k, 3hr 51min, speed 19.69kph, ascent 1,827m
    Kept it easy enough again today, just trying not to go too hard too early in the week. Stopped for coffee and all. Beautiful day, cycling in Spain is the only way to go!

Tuesday: swim 1hr.
    5 *(4*70 hard then 140 easy) 10sec rest between each hard
    Total 2.1k

Cycle: 74.3k, speed 25kph, 3hr 58min, ascent 1,047m
    Kept it easy for first 2hrs then last hour hard and straight into a run

Run: 27min 30sec 5k, just making sure the legs worked off the bike.

Full Tri today, lots of fun but tiring!

Wednesday: swim 3k, 5*450 with 20 sec rest after each
    4*300 with 10 sec rest after each.
    It was probably a combo of yesterday's exploits and having never swam 3k before but I was knackered after this session.

Run: 1hr - steady all the way. My knee started getting sore after about 45min which is a sign my itb is acting up so I eased right off and trotted home.

After a much needed siesta, I treated myself to a massage.

Thursday: cycle: 97k, 4hr 30min, 2,074m ascent.
    My garmin died about 3k from home so this is what it read up to then. Today was a tough day, maybe it was the massage yesterday but my legs weren't really up for it today. I struggled through but am disappointed with my day.

Friday: cycle: 99.7k, 5hr 10min, 2,543m ascent.
    After yesterday I was worried I would blow up completely today and said as much to the group setting out. However I was pleasantly surprised to feel my legs come around after about 20mins and they continued to improve and get stronger as the day wore on. I could have kept going today which is encouraging after such a long week.

Saturday: rest and travel home to dreary Eire.

Swim: 2hr 15
    Run: 1hr 30
    Cycle: 16hr 30 (ascent 7,491m!)
    Total: 20hr 15

I enjoyed the week and although I'd hoped for more running, it was probably for the best given the itb issue on Wednesday. I also may have gone too easy the first 2 days as I felt like there was plenty left in the tank Friday evening. I'm forcing myself to have a recovery week next week as this is probably the heaviest weeks training I have ever done.

Monday 20th: swim: 1hr: 2.3k
    12*50 off 70 every 4th fast
    3*(5*100 off 2:10)
    8*25 off 40sec every 2nd one fast
    Felt good throughout, I'm getting a little faster in the water, but am feeling really good for the whole session every time which is really reassuring.

Tuesday 21st: rest - family commitments prevented any training today.

Wednesday 22nd: s&c: 90mins - class with my own specific exercises before the class - back a little stiff after class. Will monitor over next few days.

Thursday 23rd: swim: 1hr: 2.05k
    100wu
    3*300m with 30sec rest (all 5:34-5:42)- delighted with these times
    5*100 off 2:15 (all circa 1:50)
    500m steady - in on 9:54
    50 easy

Friday: rest

Saturday: s&c class:1hr

Turbo: 2hr: steady z2 - watched Ireland game to get me through the boredom

Saturday was supposed to be a long cycle (4hr) but weather prevented that so I did what I could indoors.

Sunday: Run: 2hr: consisting of stretching, prehab and warmup jog with club (45mins) followed by 75min slow run. Knee was sore after 20mins and I was sure I was done but after a stretch it didn't bother me again.

Swim: 1hr: 1.65k
    400 wu steady
    10*50 off 70 - all in between 51-54sec
    3*200 off 4:30 (3:43, 3:36, 3:37)
    20min drills
    100m fast (1:43)
    50 easy

Swim: 3hr
    Cycle: 2hr
    Run: 2hr
    Total 9hr 30min

Managed a few days rest this week and still nearly hit 10hrs so happy enough to have stuck to plan. Not much else to say really!

Monday 27th: swim 1hr - 2.35k
    16*25 off 45sec
    3*200 off 4:20 - all in at 3:40 (happy with pacing)
    4*(5*50 off 60sec, then 100 off 2:20)
    100 easy
    Guy leading lane wasn't here tonight so I stepped up to the plate. Swam really well & was the only one to hit the times for the main set, without even being under serious pressure. Contemplated asking coach to move up a lane until I heard the next lane up were swimming the 50s off 45sec - still way off that standard!

Tuesday 28th: run: 90min - long warmup jog followed by 14*400m with 30sec rest between. Happy with run, it's the first time in months I felt decent running.

Wednesday 1st: s&c: 90min including 60min class

Thursday: rest - trip to physio to sort out knee issues when running. Mixed verdict, may need regular maintenance to be able to manage run volume for ironman, but it wasn't a 'no, you can't do ironman' so I'm calling that a win.

Friday: cycle: 5hr 23min: 127.3km
    Hell on earth cycle through heavy winds, sideways rain, mist (200m visibility), a wrong turn which added 10k, all through the the Wicklow mountains, because apparently we do this for fun.

Saturday: s&c: 1hr: nice easy class given by high performance triathlete.

Swim:1hr: 1.6k
    200wu
    200m drills
    4*100m all out with 10sec rest (avg 1:40 per 100)
    100 easy
    3*50 on 55sec with 10sec rest
    3*50 on 53sec with 10 sec rest
    3*50 on 51sec with 10 sec rest
    3*50 on 48sec with 10 sec rest
    100 easy

Sunday: cycle: 4hr 39min - 115.7k
    Hell on earth cycle #2, another though day on the bike, but at least the last hour was down Sally gap and into city centre which was fun.

Cycle: 10hr
    Run: 1hr 30min
    Total: 16hrs

Another heavy volume week helped by 2 long spins. I need to be getting in some double sessions during weekdays but I can't figure out how to with work etc.
    After Thursday physio visit I am hoping to up run volume from next week - let's see how that goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Training looks to be going well, fair play.

As you are so pressed for time, why the big emphasis on S&C? Is definitely a lot of pros for including it, but given your time constraints I would knock it out. Strength work in the pool, cycling & running should maintain your core so as to prevent injury.
    S&C training time better spent swim, bike or running IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

LCD wrote: »
    Training looks to be going well, fair play.

As you are so pressed for time, why the big emphasis on S&C? Is definitely a lot of pros for including it, but given your time constraints I would knock it out. Strength work in the pool, cycling & running should maintain your core so as to prevent injury.
    S&C training time better spent swim, bike or running IMO

Really? Would this not suggest that S&C is a must for 9Crimes in particular?
    9Crimes wrote: »

Thursday: rest - trip to physio to sort out knee issues when running. Mixed verdict, may need regular maintenance to be able to manage run volume for ironman, but it wasn't a 'no, you can't do ironman' so I'm calling that a win.

Another heavy volume week helped by 2 long spins. I need to be getting in some double sessions during weekdays but I can't figure out how to with work etc.
    After Thursday physio visit I am hoping to up run volume from next week - let's see how that goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Definitely stick at the stretching work, balance work, and foam rolling. Don't be thinking anything crazy like lightening up on that right now.

It's a long journey and you will fit the volume in don't worry, but not at the expense of maintenance.

Btw - you're flying in the pool.

Thanks for input, I rank weekly s&c up there with long bike, long run and a coached swim, so I am going to continue as is for the moment. Going to try and get out of work on time more and do longer sessions in the evening instead of double sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I wouldn't discount the benefit of double sessions, especially for your running, probably take less out of you than one long run, could lessen the chance of injury. I'd have a look at run/walk training too, if running might cause injury look at ways of lessening that. Any chance of running at lunch time in work? Great way to fit in some training if you can.

joey100 wrote: »
    I wouldn't discount the benefit of double sessions, especially for your running, probably take less out of you than one long run, could lessen the chance of injury. I'd have a look at run/walk training too, if running might cause injury look at ways of lessening that. Any chance of running at lunch time in work? Great way to fit in some training if you can.

Yeah, more long run sessions definitely increase risk of injury, I will have to balance things carefully. Not possible to run at lunch at the moment, but I am trying to change that!

• Advertisement

Monday 6th: swim - 1hr - 2.35k
    400wu
    32*50 off 75 every 4th fast (fast were 45-47sec)
    100 easy
    200 controlled fast - 3:40 and plenty left in tank
    50 easy

To was an easy enough session, no problems hitting the times.

Tuesday: run - 75min
    Warm up
    8*400 fast with 30sec rest
    Warm down
    Was off work today and was supposed to have two sessions but another event took up most of the day so this was all I had time for.

Wednesday: s&c class - 90min

Thursday: run - 120min
    Warm up 15min
    90min zone 2 all the way
    Warm down 15 min
    This was done fasted & it felt good throughout.

Friday: swim - 1hr - 2.25k
    300wu
    6*(3*100 off 2min) 1min rest between sets (all were within 1:47-1:52)
    50 easy
    4*50 off 75 desc 1-4
    Happy with pacing off 100's but don't feel as comfortable in the water as 2 weeks ago.

Saturday: 4hrs - 100k, average 27kph (forgot to start garmin, hence difference in speed vs distance) zone 2 all the way and fasted

Sunday: run - 2hr 15min,
    Warm up 30min
    Run zone 2 (fasted) for 92mins
    Warm down 13mins

Swim: 45mins, this was supposed to be a 75min endurance set but was so tired I struggled to make it to the pool so I ditched the set and focused on drills and trying to get a bit more comfortable in the water again. Not ideal but at least I did something!

Swim: 2hr 45min
    Run: 5hr 30min
    Cycle: 4hr
    S&c: 1hr 30min
    Total: 13hr 45min

This week was supposed to be over 16hrs but a curtailed Tuesday put that out of reach. Apart from that and the amended swim Sunday it was a good week. Delighted to get 3 runs in and weight is even starting to come down (slowly!). Diet remains an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good week indeed and the run volume is starting to stack up nicely.

In the pool don't underestimate the difference between leading a lane and following in a lane - you're working at subtly different capacities there, especially beyond 100m intervals, and it can rack up over a long session.

Monday 13th: swim: 1hr - 2.7k
    400 wu
    6*200 off 4:20
    50 easy
    6*100 off 2:00
    100 easy
    12*25 off 45 every 4th flat out
    50 easy
    Furthest I have ever swam in an hour

Tuesday: run: 90mins
    30min wu
    5,3,1 *4
    5min @ half marathon pace
    3min @ 10k pace
    1min @ 5k pace
    25min wd

Wednesday: s&c class - 90min

Thursday: rest, I was totally knackered and couldn't do my scheduled swim. I was raging at the time but it turned out to be the best decision as it meant I was able to train for the weekend.

Friday: cycle: 4hr (fasted) avg 27.7kph total 112km
    Kept it zone 2 all the way, 2nd half was not enjoyable, very windy (on tt bike) and wet as well.

Saturday: Run - 2hrs 30 incl warm up and warm down.
    1hr 45min in zone 2 and felt good all the way (fasted). Garmin didn't record distance which confused me but I think I'm getting a little faster.

Sunday: cycle - 3hrs circa 66k, this was done up the mountains just to work on strength.

Swimming: 1hr - 2.3k
    400wu
    6*300 off 7min
    100 wd

Run: 4hr
    Cycle: 7hr
    S&c: 1hr 30
    Total: 14hr 30min

Looking forward to recovery week next week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i wore a one piece sleeved suit for IM CPH last year. loved it, except for the minutes spent getting it off and on when i was forced itnot eh toilet on lap 4 of the marathon. combinign teh beniefits of the long sleeves and a 2 piece design is a good idea IMHO, now whether that one is any good i have no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I've never done Long course but I have tried a few pairs of shorts for half and Olympic. Your going to be in them for a long time, you need to make sure they are comfortable. For that reason I'd recommend trying them on, might work out more expensive but if you know they are comfy that's worth a lot. Like the idea of a sleeved top myself and have been looking at them. The HUUB stuff gets good reviews, heard one or two concerns on the durability of it but can't remember on what model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Castelli san remo skinsuit (sleeved version). Fantastic suit and pad is comfy

Monday 20th: swim - 1hr - 2.4k
    400wu
    4*(3*100 off 2:00) 30sec rest between each set of 3
    50 easy
    18*50 off 75sec desc 1-3
    Led out the lane for most of this session and was comfortable throughout.
    100's were all 1:50 with the fast 50's 45-48sec

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: s&c class - 90mins

Thursday: rest

Friday: swim - 1hr, signed up for a few weeks coached sessions on Fridays. Forgot to make notes tonight but it involved a 400wu, 100's off 2:05 and 50's off 55sec
    I didn't lead out at all tonight and it felt easy enough.

Saturday: nuttin

Sunday: nuttin

Swim:2hr
    Total 3hr 30

This was a recovery week so rest days Tuesday and Thursday were planned. The less said about the sorry excuse for a weekend, the better.

Monday: swim: 1hr - 2.55k
    16*50 off 70 every 4th fast - slow were 55s, fast were 45-47s
    50 easy
    6*200 off 4:15, all were in on about 3:40-3:45
    50 easy
    9*50 off 70 desc 1-3
    Led out all night, started to tire a little on last few fast 50's

Tuesday: run - 2hr 30min
    40 mins on wu and wd
    Run was 7.5k slow and steady and then 12*400 with 45sec rest between each and then 2k slow

Wednesday: s&c - 90mins

Thursday: cycle (turbo) - 60 mins
    10min wu
    6*(3min med gear, 2min plus 2gears, 1min plus 2gears) with 2 min recovery
    Increased resistence each set
    10min wd

Straight into run - 30min, 20min moderately fast (4.5k), wanted to put a bit of effort in straight off the bike, then 10min steady

Friday: swim - 1hr - 2.5k
    6*25 off 40s flat out
    5*100 off 2:05 fastish, all were 1:45-1:50
    2*50 off 65, both were 50
    50 easy
    6*200 off 4:10, all were 3:42-3:50
    10*50 off 75 desc 1-3. Fast were 49 sec
    Total 2.5k. Led out all night and felt good. Was tired but not knackered at end of session.

Saturday: cycle: 6hr 10min - 163k, avg 26.4k
    As soon as Heineken cup quarter finals were announced I had planned to cycle to thomond park for the game today. Set out feeling good but screwed up nutrition early on by not eating for first 2hrs. Was chasing food then and never got over the mistake. Cycling into a westerly wind non-stop for 6hrs didn't help. Was very tired when I eventually got there, thank god it was worth it! Mumha Abu!

Sunday: rest - was planning a run but needless to say, after putting 40 points on Toulouse, last night got away from me! Not too worried as I am still fatigued after messing my nutrition on the cycle yesterday so I'm not recovered enough for a long run.

Cycle: 7hr 10
    Run: 3hr
    Total: 13hr 40min

Probably should have cleared 15hrs this week but I am content with the week. I feel ready for another 2 heavy weeks training which is more important than getting a run in today (I think, anyway!). I am still worried about my run volume to date, there's only one way to fix that though!

• Advertisement

Monday 3rd: Swim: 1 hr - 2.45k
    400 wu
    4*(4*50 off 65, 100 off 2:15)
    50 easy
    16*50 off 75 every 4th fast
    Easy enough session, led out, made the times easy with plenty of rest

Tuesday 4th: Run: 2hr (fasted) 20.76km 5:47 per km
    Stayed in zone 2 until last 15 minutes and then upped the pace a little, felt really good for first 1hr 45min, last 15min began to pinch a little, but it was supposed to and it never got excessive.

Swim: 90min - 2.6km (plus drills)
    400wu
    20 min drills
    500*4 off 12 mins - plenty of rest to try and keep good form throughout
    50*4 off 70 all fast - to inject a bit of speed at the end.
    wd - didn't measure

Wednesday: s&c 90 min

Thursday: run: 90min - 15.9k

10 min wu

1200 at half marathon pace
    200 easy
    600 at half marathon pace
    200 easy
    400 at 10k pace
    200 easy
    200 at 10k pace
    200 easy

rest for 2min and then repeat above *4
    wd - 15 min
    A really enjoyable session half marathon pace was 4:45, 10k pace was 4:20. These are only 5sec off last years paces so there is a bit of pace coming back to my running, and I felt awesome afterwards too!

Friday: swim: 60min - 2.45k
    6*25 off 45 flat out
    5*100 off 2:05 fast
    2*50 off 55 very fast
    above mimics a 750m sprint swim

16*100 off 2:00
    100 easy

I led for the 750 simulation at the start and 10 of the 16 100's. I was still making the times swimming 1:55 but the guy behind me was getting closer all the time and it got to the point that I was holding him up so I let him through after 10, tucked in behind and drafted the last 6 hitting 1:50 each time. this was a good tough session.

Saturday: cycle - 4hr 23min - 107km, 24.4kph, climbed 1,387m
    Long cycle through Wicklow, stopped to fill water bottles but that was about it. I felt very tired throughout and that, combined with the climbs resulted in a slow pace

Sunday: run 1hr - a junk miles run, just went out and ran at circa 4:50 pace with no aim.

Swim: 3hr 30min
    Run: 4hr 30min
    cycle: 4hr 23min
    s&c: 1hr 30min
    total: 13hr 53min

Similar total to last week, should have done more on sunday but I was a little hungover! I am beginning to recover from sessions better, have now lost a stone and seem a little more comfortable doing the longer sessions, so its going ok, although in typical triathlete fashion, I wish it was going better.

Advertisement