Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R Awards 2016 - Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra Performance of the year

Options
  • 22-12-2016 12:11am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Voting closes Jan 4th :)

Road/Trail/Mountains/Ultra Performance of the year 67 votes

Ed McGroarty - Connemara 100
    0% 0 votes
    Ososlo - Run the Kingdom 12 Hour
    7% 5 votes
    Ososlo - Belfast 24 hour
    11% 8 votes
    Jebuz - Berlin Marathon
    4% 3 votes
    Enduro - Top 10 in Sparta
    7% 5 votes
    Enduro - New Record in The Spine
    29% 20 votes
    Ultrapercy - 70 min HM in Mullingar
    19% 13 votes
    Duanington - Berlin marathon
    19% 13 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭The Bin Man

I'm sure this is just an oversight but you seem to have included the details of Enduro's performances (new record and top 10) and Ultrapercy's performance (sub 70) while omitting the details of the others' performances...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm sure this is just an oversight but you seem to have included the details of Enduro's performances (new record and top 10) and Ultrapercy's performance (sub 70) while omitting the details of the others' performances...

sometimes the nominators include these details in the nominations and sometimes they don't

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What Ray said is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

RayCun wrote: »
    sometimes the nominators include these details in the nominations and sometimes they don't

I think I included results in one of my nominations so I'd say it is just an oversight.

Perhaps, in the interest of fairness, the performance details of all nominees should be highlighted. As it stands, people won't realise that Ed actually won the Connemara 100, (I didn't until I read his log) or that Ososlo beat several seasoned ultra runners to win the Run the Kingdom 12 hr race and beat all but one of the men in the same race to nearly win it outright, and so on. I know this because I looked up their logs and read the reports. What exactly did Duanington do in Berlin and what did Jebuz do in the same race? (I know, because, I've read their logs but others might not.)

• Advertisement

why don't you do it yourself? :)

Ososlo - beat several seasoned ultra runners to win the Run the Kingdom 12 hr race and beat all but one of the men in the same race to nearly win it outright - link to her race report
    etc

RayCun wrote: »
    why don't you do it yourself? :)

Ososlo - beat several seasoned ultra runners to win the Run the Kingdom 12 hr race and beat all but one of the men in the same race to nearly win it outright - link to her race report
    etc

There's no need to be an ar$e about it. Do you think it's fair, Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I agree with Bin Man that the nominations should all be framed in the same way out of respect for all the nominees. But let's not fall out over it. :)

I'll chime in with a 'frame' for Duanington's Berlin performance - he broke 3 hours for the first time, although you wouldn't tell that from his report as far as I remember it - focussed on the PB, which is possibly a great way to keep the pressure off. Achieved after a terrific training block, designed by Myles.

And Ososlo's 24-Hr was all the more memorable for me as it was achieved after a long, long period of poor race performances as O habitually suffered from debilitating pre-race nerves. She really delivered this time, answering several critics with a great performance.

Oh, and Enduro actually won that same 24-hour race in Belfast (although not nominated for it!)

There's no need to be an ar$e about it. Do you think it's fair, Ray?

RQ went looking for people to nominate on these threads, she collected all the nominations, she set up all the threads and the polls herself - and okay, it has to be one person doing that. But it's a lot of work!

But it doesn't have to be RQ going looking up the details of everyone's accomplishments and posting them here. You could do that just as easily as she could. So why don't you?

Perhaps, in the interest of fairness, the performance details of all nominees should be highlighted. As it stands, people won't realise that Ed actually won the Connemara 100, (I didn't until I read his log) or that Ososlo beat several seasoned ultra runners to win the Run the Kingdom 12 hr race and beat all but one of the men in the same race to nearly win it outright, and so on. I know this because I looked up their logs and read the reports. What exactly did Duanington do in Berlin and what did Jebuz do in the same race? (I know, because, I've read their logs but others might not.)

Well, I didn't know any of that so how can I put it up if people don't say it when they are sending in their nominations? Some people sent it, some people didn't - end of story.

The awards are a LOT of work, it would be nice if people (particularly new posters / re-regs) would actually appreciate the work that this takes rather than criticising. Believe it or not, I have better things and far more important things to be doing with my time than spending hours poring over nominations.

People like having the awards every year, so despite not having much time I dedicated MY free time to doing something nice for boardsies. I don't have to do it - but yet again this year, I have. And like last year, where I stated some nominations may be missed - some things may be missed.

Just to put life into perspective, my housemate's (who is also a very good friend) mother has just been given 24 hours to live. How he and his lovely family are doing are far more important to me than some awards on the internet right now. I really hope this helps whatever crusade you are currently on. Please feel free to PM me if you have any more 'issues' - it's unlikely I'll have much time to respond though.

• Advertisement

I think I included results in one of my nominations so I'd say it is just an oversight.

I remember now that you did actually - that nomination had actually already been made so I hadn't transferred yours to my word doc. I literally c&p'd things from peoples PM's - so in this case, that one was an oversight.

I remember now that you did actually - that nomination had actually already been made so I hadn't transferred yours to my word doc. I literally c&p'd things from peoples PM's - so in this case, that one was an oversight.

So I was right. Not that I feel any sense of glee.

RQ, you're a wonderful person for dedicating your time here. Well done. Maybe there should be an award for best mod? You'd get my vote , with or without details.

Ray, go for a run.

As I thought, you've enough to be doing, it's not an issue, we really do appreciate all the work you put into this M and am sorry to hear about your friends mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Id be telling someone to go fcuk themselves at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

It's all good people, deep breaths.

I'm going to win all the awards next year as I'm just fab!

Fwiw its Ed for me, but not by much.

Merry Christmas.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

You're not the only one Dave

So I was right. Not that I feel any sense of glee.

RQ, you're a wonderful person for dedicating your time here. Well done. Maybe there should be an award for best mod? You'd get my vote , with or without details.

Ray, go for a run.

No, you were not right. One of these options I was given more info on (albeit completely differently to how it was presented in the nominations that I have included more info for) - I also had no idea where Enduro finished in Sparta, or that he had set a new record in The Spine, nor did I have any idea that ultrapercy had run a 70 min HM but the nominators in those cases told me exactly why they were nominating.

You can reign in the sarcasm and the attitude - we will have no more of this from you on these awards threads. You're either looking for something sinister where it doesn't exist or you're literally just looking to piss people off. Looks quite suspicious from a new poster with a handful of posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭HS3

Wow some people take this so seriously! It's not an actual award. It's just a bit of end of year craic. If you follow the logs you'll know what the nominations refer to. If you don't, either don't vote, go look up the log, or just click out of the Internet for a while because you're taking it way too seriously. If someone doesn't win, whether down to how the nominations are constructed or otherwise whats the worst that could happen? They wont win. Will it actually affect them in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

HS3 wrote: »
    Wow some people take this so seriously! It's not an actual award. It's just a bit of end of year craic. If you follow the logs you'll know what the nominations refer to. If you don't, either don't vote, go look up the log, or just click out of the Internet for a while because you're taking it way too seriously. If someone doesn't win, whether down to how the nominations are constructed or otherwise whats the worst that could happen? They wont win. Will it actually affect them in any way?

Speak for yourself, I have a whole Donald Trump type speech prepared if I win an award!!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I have a while Donald Trump type speech prepared if I win an award!!!!

Picture us as the kid who was standing beside him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Some good performances there but I know nothing about ultra running so Jebuz gets my vote hands down here, amazing improvement in 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭UM1

its christmas lads,go. find a stable and pray to the good lord,..

tang1 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself, I have a whole Donald Trump type speech prepared if I win an award!!!!

Is it the one you wrote last year? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

UM1 wrote: »

I see what you did there, good one!:D

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

UM1 wrote: »

...and wait for three wise men

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Have to agree HS - thought this was meant to be a bit of light hearted fun ! When it comes to people re-registering to push nominees you'd have to think they take it SUPER serious though ! Each to his own I suppose

kit3 wrote: »
    Have to agree HS - thought this was meant to be a bit of light hearted fun ! When it comes to people re-registering to push nominees you'd have to think they take it SUPER serious though ! Each to his own I suppose

Re-registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

WHAT! I'm gutted, I'm guaranteed at least a silver in my two horse race and you spoil the mood by saying it's not actually an award at all, thats my christmas ruined , hope you're happy now.

The Muppet wrote: »
    WHAT! I'm gutted, I'm guaranteed at least a silver in my two horse race and you spoil the mood by saying it's not actually an award at all, thats my christmas ruined , hope you're happy now.

There is no prize for second place. Either you're a winner or not ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There is no prize for second place. Either you're a winner or not ;)

No Silver ? I'm shattered .

Advertisement