Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AAAAAARGHHHFFFFFF!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The cable is fine.

Sounds like it is a motherboard issue alright since the RAM will not work.
    Out of curiosity what RAM have you got?

Edit: I just looked back at the first post and seen your RAM may not be compatible with the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Which DVID are you using, the motherboard or the 970s? The Motherboards DVID/VGA/HDMI should not work if the 970 is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If it posts your CPU is certainly OK - it's looking like you may have fried at least one of your RAM slots (possibly no fault of your own). RMA the board.

Is your display DVI cable connector connecting/mating correctly with the DVI connector on the board? If so and it's the only output connected than yes you should have a signal on the DVI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks all.

Will RMA the board.

Did not have GPU in the board when trying to get output from that video slot.

Glad to hear that CPU is ok and that it is the board, I suspect the ram i have already returned was probably ok and it was the board that was the problem all along.

Will I need to reapply heatpaste when I install CPU into a new board? Should I clean the paste off it now or leave it on while i wait for a replacement board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

When you get the new board start again with everything clean and apply new thermal paste and take your time. Like when you were troubleshooting, I always first assemble the bare minimum outside the case to make sure everything is working before rebuilding again inside the case. Hope all goes well second time round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

you will need to clean the paste from your cpu

Thanks, yeah i intend to rebuild again outside case. I will clean the paste off before putting the chip back in its box and I guess i need to buy a tube of paste then.

Well replacement motherboard arrived yesterday. Rebuilt it and it worked without issue - though curiously I still can't get it to output from Motherboard to my monitor so it is running to a tv through a hdmi cable. Hmm just occurs to me that i probably have a tv that takes the other type of cable so maybe i should check that.

Windows 10 installed and it is working fine.

I will be installing GPU and a few other bits and bobs (card reader and DVD drive) from old computer this evening - or tomorrow depending how long it takes me to make sure i have transferred everything I need to over form old one's hard drive. Hopefully when I have installed GPU I can just output to old monitor from that, particularly since the old monitor is currently plugged into and working from that GPU in my old computer.

Thanks very much to everyone who was of so much assistance to me in this thread. I really appreciate it.

Should also note that Mindfactory customer service was exemplary. New Motherboard, return postage refunded and full refund on the Ram (which was probably never faulty) all with no questions asked. This despite google translate being the extent of my German so I wonder exactly how garbled my responses to them were.

Edit: And as a final update, GPU and DVD installed and working perfectly, it is outputting to my existing monitor from GPU. I didn't install teh card reader from old pc because it turns out to be a 3.5" and I have a 5.25" bay. I didn't bother transferring over a second DVD drive to the empty bay since tbh i don't know if i will ever use the one i did install. Anyway I also ordered an external usb 3.0 card reader, so will use that and can use it in multiple machines if i want to transfer photos from phones - so kids can back their phones onto their own laptops. One of the case fans seems to be clicking (very faintly) but i will track that down and see if i can sort it out. must be just barely touching off the outer rim, since they are both spinning freely.

Advertisement