Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTV forced to delete white guy video

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Black lives matter?

But it's mostly blacks killing blacks in the US. Maybe the brothers need this lesson more than the other minority groups. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

It was asking for trouble and it got it. Daft people.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Black lives matter?

But it's mostly blacks killing blacks in the US. Maybe the brothers need this lesson more than the other minority groups. Just a thought.

Think more. When blacks kill blacks and are caught they are punished ot the full extent of the law. When cops kill blacks they get paid leave. HUGE disparity. Think more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

So MTV posted a video telling white guys how to improve in the new year. Needless to say it drew a large reaction from across the web. They have now deleted it.

The video is pretty stupid in general but I can't quite figure out what it's goal was.
    Except they're not. The video is actually a dig at people always complaining about white men.

There's a lot of confusion running in this thread due to the fact that the video posted by the OP is not the original MTV one. It's a response video by the guy doing the narration. As far as I can tell this is the one that was broadcast by MTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Two out of three of the whities are gingers, the most oppressed white demographic.
    Gingers' lives matter. Well, not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

iamstop wrote: »
    Think more. When blacks kill blacks and are caught they are punished ot the full extent of the law. When cops kill blacks they get paid leave. HUGE disparity. Think more.

Think more? What kind of ****e is that? When cops kill anyone there's an investigation. It's labour law that it's paid leave while this is happening. It's the concept of due process. If it's found to be an unlawful killing they're fired and prosecuted. If it's found a lawful killing then they were doing their job.

Don't spout lies like that pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I had the misfortune of watching the last vma it was rubbish but my biggest observation was it was like a modern day black rights movement, 5 performances from Rihanna, 90% winners were black. dominated by Beyonce, kayne some other guys. I'm not a pop music fan so wouldn't really
    know much about them so maybe they are the best.

I just remember laughing as will Smith has boycotted the Oscars for been too white, I probably can't say this but MTV is too black.

not a racist just observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

I enjoyed that video to be honest. It's good to be reminded the MTV at its heart is a racist company. Cast your mind back to the early days of MTV after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Think more? What kind of ****e is that? When cops kill anyone there's an investigation. It's labour law that it's paid leave while this is happening. It's the concept of due process. If it's found to be an unlawful killing they're fired and prosecuted. If it's found a lawful killing then they were doing their job.

Don't spout lies like that pal.

Nah sorry here Butters, plenty of cases of cops shooting black people in America and getting away with it. I can't remember the location in the US but wasn't it just a few months ago a cop was found to have shot an unarmed man who posed no threat and all charges against him were dropped. Vaguely recall it happening in a park or something.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Nah sorry here Butters, plenty of cases of cops shooting black people in America and getting away with it. I can't remember the location in the US but wasn't it just a few months ago a cop was found to have shot an unarmed man who posed no threat and all charges against him were dropped. Vaguely recall it happening in a park or something.

Really? Because they're pretty serious about cracking down on that. Have you a link to that case? I googled "Vaguely recall it happening in a park or something." but it didn't really come up with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Really? Because they're pretty serious about cracking down on that. Have you a link to that case? I googled "Vaguely recall it happening in a park or something." but it didn't really come up with anything.

Apologies, it went to trial, but was considered a mistrial https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/12/05/mistrial-declared-in-case-of-south-carolina-officer-who-shot-walter-scott-after-traffic-stop/?utm_term=.80f8d93169b9

The video in full is openly available.

How about this one. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-police-shoot-man-witnesses-unarmed-article-1.2809204
    or this one http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/20/us/oklahoma-tulsa-police-shooting/

Christ, even this one, though the victim is white, http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-shoots-kills-unarmed-deaf-mute-man/

I get and understand that cops in the US are on edge and crime is a problem, but it's hard to deny they are trigger happy. It's also daft they are trained to shoot to kill and not disarm and injure.

edit:
    For the record the MTV video was completely stupid, not so much racist, just really really really stupid and ignorant and trying to cash in on the latest craze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It's also daft they are trained to shoot to kill and not disarm and injure

One of the more idiotic ideas people throw out. If you shoot to disarm or injure someone you will likely miss and likely be injured if they are also armed. No police force is trained to shoot to injure because it is a preposterous notion.

So he lost his job and was charged, but the case was a mistrial? Very different to what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Singling out any group based on their skin colour and making them the pun of a joke isn't nice, isn't clever, isn't cool, isn't anything other than racist.
    You can't generalise about white guys any more than you can generalise about back guys.

You can't even just bundle all white people into a narrative of US oppression and making slaves of black people, many white people currently living in the US don't even necessarily share that history, having arrived fleeing various regimes in Europe or seeking economic opportunity and having nothing to do with that scenario at all. Most were dirt poor and did pretty menial jobs.

The US is dealing with what amounts to post-aparthide politics and a grim history of extreme racism towards black people, native Americans and all kinds of ingrained racism against other ethnic groups too. However, you're not going to fix that by alienating normal, non-racist white people.

All videos like the one linked above do is pit people into an "us" vs "them" and it's completely counterproductive.

Most white people aren't racist. Most men aren't sexist. Most straight people aren't homophobic.

It is absolutely not cool and not very "MTV" to basically pit one part of society against another like this.

Call out racism, call out sexism, call out homophobia, xenophobia and all of those other issues but don't pin them on a stereotype of a particular gender or a particular ethnic group. It's being exactly what you're supposed to be criticising.

--

Also MTV is about as culturally relevant as CD players at this stage. It's a rapidly dying platform and I would suspect it's probably lost a lot of the cutting edge talent it would have had back in its hay day. This stuff looks more like click-baiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Interesting how American identity politics is actually creating the very "whiteness" it claims to deconstruct. A few years ago Irish people were the "blacks" of Europe and there were links between civil rights in Northern Ireland and the US - now we're defending American cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Divide and conquer is always part of the plan of these sh1te stirring types in extreme politics though.

We saw it in Northern Ireland in the 60s when they pushed sectarian politics heavily when the UUP saw a slide to centre left SDLP type traditional labour / trade unionism potentially displacing them in working class areas. They immediately whipped up the divisions to remain in power.

There are lots of groups trying to sew division in American society - Trump being one of the biggest examples of this but there are are well meaning morons on the liberal side buying into it by reacting by lashing out.

There's a definite need to unite US society back to recognising it's a huge melting pot and always has been and that's is what defines it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

He had something in his hand that looked like a gun and didn't respond to police directions if its the case I'm thinking on

Advertisement