Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season's Greetings, Happy Christmas, Merry Christmas, Nollaig Shona Dhuit etc

Options
  • 21-12-2016 4:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

What will be your choice of greeting this Christmas?

You can see from the link below, things were gettin a bit 'dicey' here back in 2009 when HH might have taken over as the seasonal greeting! what with some Irish people openly beginning to utter the dreaded 'Happy Holidays' in public :cool:

From 2009 >>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63437676&postcount=1

Thankfully since then it looks like the oh so American "Happy Holidays" has been headed off, defeated, & totally rejected in both Ireland & Britain as an alternative form of Christmas greeting. 'Hurrah I hear you cry'

So what's your choice of greeting this Yuletide Season?

See attached Poll.

Happy Christmas, Seasons Greetings, or . . . . 142 votes

Happy Christmas
    0% 0 votes
    Merry Christmas
    54% 78 votes
    Seasons Greetings
    28% 41 votes
    Yuletide Greetings
    1% 2 votes
    Nollaig Shona Dhuit
    0% 1 vote
    Happy Hanukkah
    8% 12 votes
    Happy Holidays
    0% 0 votes
    Bah Humbug :-(
    3% 5 votes
    Other . . . .
    2% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I find it incredibly offensive that religious spookers try to hijack Winter Solstice to push thier superstitions. Winter solstice is an astronomical phenomenon not a celebration of religious fairy tales. Having said that I think Santa is a boss, he brought me some amazing gifts as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Happy Christmas or Merry Christmas, both are fine.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

I imagine it's not widely used here considering most people in Ireland (up until a short while ago at least) were Christian or atheist. In recent years there's been more muslims and Romas over here but I don't think we'll see ourselves banned from having a Christmas tree put up in Dublin City centre or anything to that extreme. All things considered for Americans at least you could have people who are, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist etc it makes sense to have a blanket term that can incorporate all religions. A Muslim family can celebrate "the holidays" without feeling a bit stupid calling it Christmas considering the no more believe in Jesus than the man on the moon. Besides if it caught on here and became the norm that instead of "Happy Christmas" it was Happy Holidays I'd refuse to accept the change and carry on with saying Happy/Merry Christmas.

Just don't say Crimbo. Then I fcuking cringo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I imagine it's not widely used here considering most people in Ireland (up until a short while ago at least) were Christian or atheist. In recent years there's been more muslims and Romas over here but I don't think we'll see ourselves banned from having a Christmas tree put up in Dublin City centre or anything to that extreme. All things considered for Americans at least you could have people who are, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist etc it makes sense to have a blanket term that can incorporate all religions. A Muslim family can celebrate "the holidays" without feeling a bit stupid calling it Christmas considering the no more believe in Jesus than the man on the moon. Besides if it caught on here and became the norm that instead of "Happy Christmas" it was Happy Holidays I'd refuse to accept the change and carry on with saying Happy/Merry Christmas.

Just don't say Crimbo. Then I fcuking cringo.

They recognise all prophets . Where do you think Islam comes from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any Irish person that says Merry Christmas watches too much U.S. television.

It's Happy Christmas this side of the Atlantic.

:confused: " We wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. " Isn't that where it comes from?

I'm the guy who first voted 'other'. I have nothing to do with xmass (Or Chinese new year. Ramma lamma ding dong. Or any other 'religious' bollox)

I'm more closer allied with Junkyard Tom, on this: It's about a natural thing. Seasonal.

That today is to be the shortest day of the year matters, epically, to me. " God "? God can go f**k themselves. I need the light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Oh yeah? Our family had no TV in the 80s growing up but used both Happy and Merry Christmas and in fact have a Santa poster that says Merry Christmas that has been in the family since the 70s. None of our family had ever been to the US in their lifetime up until the 2000s and obviously as I said we had no tv.

I find it incredibly offensive that religious spookers try to hijack Winter Solstice to push thier superstitions. Winter solstice is an astrological phenomenon not a celebration of religious fairy tales...

So it's astrology and not some made up stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Merry Baby Jesus Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Fascinating.

The common seasonal greeting in Ireland and Britain still remains Happy Christmas.

"Merry" over here became synonyms with over indulgence with alcohol among certain sections of society.. The Victorians stopped saying Merry and replaced it with Happy Christmas instead as "Merry" had class dividing meaning.

I'm happy with Happy Christmas anyway :-)

People who say Merry just remind me of people who say Awesome or refer to various things "sucking" if they are not enthused by them. E.g. American Football sucks

So what you're saying is.....Merry Christmas is around since pre Victorian times!

• Advertisement

I'd say a lot more Irish people have sang along to "Merry Christmas" lyrics by British bands like Slade and Shakin Stevens...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

“In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it 'Christmas' and went to church; the Jews called it 'Hanukkah' and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say 'Merry Christmas!' or 'Happy Hanukkah!' or (to the atheists) 'Look out for the wall!”

― Dave Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Between the Reformation and the nineteenth century, Christmas wasn't actually a big deal in most of the English-speaking world - it was considered a bit, well, too Catholic. It revived as a significant popular holiday in the mid-nineteenth century in both Britain and the US; some people give credit for this largely to Charles Dickens, who was insanely popular in both countries, and who of course is the author of that revolting morality tale, A Christmas Carol. Prince Albert, who brought German Christmas customs to the UK and made them fashionable, was also involved in the revival of Christmas as a major holiday.

At the time "Merry Christmas" was the standard greeting on both sides of the Atlantic, but almost immediately there was a trend towards "Happy Christmas" in the UK, for the reason Deedsie points out - "merry" was considered too suggestive of shameless alcoholic debauch.

"Happy Christmas" never really took off in the US, and is still rarely heard there. Evidently, "merry" doesn't have the same alcoholic connotations in the US (or, if it does, they don't care). It did take off in Britain, but only to a limited extent. Even in British English, it has always taken second place to "Merry Christmas". So it's not really an Americanism; "Happy Christmas" occurs almost exclusively on this side of the Atlantic, but "Merry Christmas" is found on both sides.

"Happy Christmas" is characteristically Irish, though, in the sense that it has always been much more popular in Ireland than "Merry Christmas". To the extent that Hiberno-English is influenced by British English, it tends to be influenced by middle-class and upper-class varieties of British English, and this is where "Happy Christmas" particularly flourished. "Happy Christmas" was, and I think still is, the dominant greeting in Ireland - the only country in the Anglosphere, so far as I know, where this is true. It's a safe bet that the Santa poster with "Merry Christmas" on it that TOss Sweep's family had in the 1970s came from the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

A Happy Christmas usually does the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just don't say Crimbo.

Agreed, I hate it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Urgh, Happy Christmas is so UK.

Get a hold of yourselves people.

Merry FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Other: "Happy Gob$hite Christmas" - I stole this phrase from a Market in Rathmines.

I say Merry Christmas.

And you can blame Slade.

I suspect Merry was around long before Noddy :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yuletide Felicitations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I find it incredibly offensive that religious spookers try to hijack Winter Solstice to push thier superstitions. Winter solstice is an astronomical phenomenon not a celebration of religious fairy tales. Having said that I think Santa is a boss, he brought me some amazing gifts as a child.

I fully believe that you appreciate the irony in your own post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

"Merry" is OK I suppose, not my favourite.

I prefer Gandalf Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I find that "Howaya" works well enough.

Also, isn't "Merry Christmas" et al a farewell rather than a greeting?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Merry or Happy Christmas will do me & the same to you all :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Happy Baby Cheeses Day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Satisfactory Saturnalia

Happy Christmas in Polish = Wesołych Świąt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

An old friend of mine who has since passed away had a tattoo that was meant to say "Mam and Dad RIP" but when he was out once, someone translated it and told him that it really said "Happy Holidays".

He was joking with me and said "not even Happy Christmas ffs, Happy Fcuking Holidays?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

• Advertisement
Advertisement