Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiots on the ring road

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

What about the muppets coming from the ring road onto the Williamstown roundabout who are in the right hand lane but cut in to go straight ahead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I hate the roundabout lane arrowing on the Waterford ring road. They should take a look at the Kilkenny ones, work far better in that you can keep to both lanes if going straight through. I think it helps the flow enormously as you can often overtake dooddlers rather than them dictate your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Anyone know why?

It may be because the roundabout design appears quite narrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭blackwhite

cosmos2016 wrote: »
    Study the official R.S.A PDF document on using roundabouts on two lane dual carriage ways such as the Ring Road.

You will notice is states "Where traffic conditions dictate otherwise for example a long line of traffic in left lane signalling left or road works in the left lane, you may follow the course shown by the broken red line." (there is a diagram to illustrate this!)

It shows that you may use the right hand lane, when going straight if there is heavy traffic in the left lane. I confirmed this with a driving instructor.

So all you people getting pissed off, and the two who beeped at me furiously recently for driving in this manner... go study the rules of the road and familiarise YOURSELF with how to drive... as I'm only following the official rules.

You can only do that if all of the traffic is turning left, not when they're going straight on. Using the lane to try and skip traffic that's going straight is illegal and dangerous. (you even posted it above yourself, you just don't seem to have read your own quote!)

You were beeped at because you clearly don't know what the rules are for roundabouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

road_high wrote: »
    It may be because the roundabout design appears quite narrow?

I suspect you may be correct.

If that is the case then it appears to be a bit foolish/short sighted as it really restricts the road being used to its full capacity. In the mornings you can have up to 30 cars stopped in the left lane waiting to go left/straight through and only 3-4 in the right lane...and even 2 of them are bending the rules and going straight through also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

rex-x wrote: »
    All the roundabouts are clearly marked right turn only in the outside lane.

I think people forget that the ROTR and the RSA documents are really only guidelines and have no basis in law. They are an interpretation of the statute by laypersons and are often incorrect or poorly interpreted (example the term 'fast lane' being used in the past). I believe what they mean by using the right hand lane if the left is busy is in situations where BOTH lanes are marked straight ahead, in that situation you should always be in the left lane unless conditions dictate otherwise, the road markings take precedence though and the Waterford ring road clearly forbids using the overtaking lane for passing straight through.

I stand corrected as the man in the orthopedic shoes said, There are in fact right turn arrows in the right hand lane at the roundabouts on the outter ring road well ballycashin and six cross roads anyway, I think in general there are so many other driving issues with drivers on mobile phones drivers driving way too fast and driver sticking too close to other drivers and also the speed of approach to roundabouts by some drivers so i would say driving in general can be problematic, its just about keeping alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I stand corrected as the man in the orthopedic shoes said, There are in fact right turn arrows in the right hand lane at the roundabouts on the outter ring road well ballycashin and six cross roads anyway, I think in general there are so many other driving issues with drivers on mobile phones drivers driving way too fast and driver sticking too close to other drivers and also the speed of approach to roundabouts by some drivers so i would say driving in general can be problematic, its just about keeping alert.

As the old adage goes 'one should always drive with due care and attention and expect the unexpected'

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I suspect you may be correct.

If that is the case then it appears to be a bit foolish/short sighted as it really restricts the road being used to its full capacity. In the mornings you can have up to 30 cars stopped in the left lane waiting to go left/straight through and only 3-4 in the right lane...and even 2 of them are bending the rules and going straight through also.

Kilkenny Vs Waterford
    Kilkenny Ring Road: Single lane with double lanes coming into roundabouts at which one can go straight on in the outer lane, thus enabling those going straight on to overtake artics, tractors etc. Speed limit = 100 KPH (which is a bit on the high side ... then again traffic usually keeps it well below that).

Waterford Ring Road: Double lane with no ability to go straight on at roundabout in outer lane, despite there being a corresponding outer lane on the far side of the roundabout and thus there being NO danger to traffic in the inner lane. The result is IMHO drivers overtaking in the outer lane then pulling into the inner lane at the last minute to obey the rules and causing other drivers to have to slam on their brakes. Speed limit = 80 KPH (from an absolutely CRAZY 60 KPH not so long ago - I would be happier if it were 90 KPH ... which I know doesn't exist normally).

Is it a coincidence that the RSA has a base in Waterford?

My PET hate - speed limit on Carrickpherish road. This should be 50 KPH (if not 30 KPH) around the school but NOT for the whole bloomin road. I obey speed limits and drive people ROUND THE BEND obeying that limit. As for those speed posts round the school - IMPOSSIBLE to see in fog. They are rubber but most folks don't know this and they ARE going to cause an accident someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Whats with the sulky's on the roundabouts near Butlerstown??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Autosport wrote:
    Whats with the sulky's on the roundabouts near Butlerstown??

Sounds like the o'reilys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Sounds like the o'reilys

I've passed them twice in a few days and its been near enough the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,056 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Autosport wrote:
    I've passed them twice in a few days and its been near enough the same place.

More than likely them, they're always out around that way

Advertisement