Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Christmas present for Dad

• 17-12-2016 8:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 The Raptor

My parents have been separated for years. When my dad moved out, he never really acknowledged us at Christmas time. So I never did either.

But this year, I would like to try. I do see him but only passing the pub. He was never at his house when I tried to visit, so I gave up.

He's getting old, he doesn't look after himself and this year, I would like to visit him and get him a small gift. But I'm lost on what to get him. Alcohol is out. He drinks enough and he shouldn't.

I just don't know what to get him. I don't know where to start. Vouchers are out as well because he's the type that would forget about them and not use it.

Just looking for some ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭ sadie1502

The Raptor wrote: »
    My parents have been separated for years. When my dad moved out, he never really acknowledged us at Christmas time. So I never did either.

But this year, I would like to try. I do see him but only passing the pub. He was never at his house when I tried to visit, so I gave up.

He's getting old, he doesn't look after himself and this year, I would like to visit him and get him a small gift. But I'm lost on what to get him. Alcohol is out. He drinks enough and he shouldn't.

I just don't know what to get him. I don't know where to start. Vouchers are out as well because he's the type that would forget about them and not use it.

Just looking for some ideas.

Maybe make up a food hamper. Or something hr is interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭ Lisha

I second the food hamper idea, . Fair play to you op it's a lovely gesture and i hope it's accepted in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,620 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78

Just try spend some time with him. Have a good Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭ xabi

A nice new shirt jumper pants and shoes. But maybe letting him know you still love him and spending some time with him might be great for both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 The Raptor

xabi wrote: »
    A nice new shirt jumper pants and shoes. But maybe letting him know you still love him and spending some time with him might be great for both of you.

I thought of this but forgot to mention that I don't know his size. I could probably guess his jumper size but that's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 nhunter100

The Raptor wrote:
    I thought of this but forgot to mention that I don't know his size. I could probably guess his jumper size but that's about it.

Only a guess but to know he is still loved, might be a better present than you could buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 The Raptor

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Only a guess but to know he is still loved, might be a better present than you could buy.

I'm thinking a present might help me say it.

But thanks for all the ideas, anyway. I will have a look around town later on and see what I can pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 nhunter100

The Raptor wrote:
    I'm thinking a present might help me say it.

Bring him out for a meal, gives you a chance to get to know him again might help you figure out a present. Hope all goes well for both of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭ Rubberchikken

if you can, and he's willing, then maybe a bit of time spent together might be worthwhile. it doesn't need to involve alcohol so pub removed.
    a meal would be nice, or just even a walk/lunch if he's up to it.
    it's good that you're thinking of him and i hope things work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭ xabi

The Raptor wrote: »

It's probably overkill, but if that's what you want to do show a pic of him to a salesperson and they will have an idea. Us men have limited choice in the size department anyway, S/M/L, :-)

Anyway, best of luck and I hope you both have a wonderful Xmas, credit for making the effort, lots of ppl in similar situations never pluck up the courage to do it and end up regretting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭ matchthis

A watch? Size not a problem, just choose a style. Subliminal message kind of gift too

Advertisement