Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman dies after falling into a vat of molten chocolate

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Free Falling

Think the worst industrial accident I've heard about is a guy being roasted to death in an industrial oven in the UK. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

learn_more wrote: »
    And it happened just before Christmas which makes the whole thing much much worse.

Do people really think the grief of losing a loved one is less in February than December ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Think the worst industrial accident I've heard about is a guy being roasted to death in an industrial oven in the UK. ****.

I remember one of the captains on the Deadliest Catch programme telling a terrible story like that. They were mooring up against the side of a factory ship to offload their catch when the captain of the ship came on the radio going insane.

A 17 year old kid working on the factory ship had fallen into the vat they were using to roast the crab. The captain of the crab boat (Sig Hansen) said it was fcuking horrific when they pulled him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I remember that. <shudder>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Do people really think the grief of losing a loved one is less in February than December ?

No I think it should be the exact same. I think your point of view is exceptionally weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Or the woman who was locked in an autoclave. :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely horrible way to die, and she has two young kids too.

Wonder which is the accurate version of the events? The mobile phone going in, placing in emphasis on her own responsibility, or was she adding ingredients in which case working conditions at the factory need to be looked at? The mobile phone story sounds false, as a cover for bad practices at the factory. What would be the point of reaching for a mangled mobile? The sack of ingredients sounds more plausible and she lost her balance. Awful way to go.
    Wouldn't surprise me.
    I did a few days maintenance in a prestigious chocolate factory in Navan and the place was a kip with bars of raw chocolate strewn everywhere and the vats of molten chocolate got no respect. We were sent up to drill, grind, weld above them with no regard at all.
    The factory floor was clean and presentable. But behind the scenes it was awful.

Imagine the standards in Russia in comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

If I found a piece of her in my box of roses, could I sue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Isn't it strange how geographic or cultural distance effects how we allow ourselves to feel about a tragic event?

If this happened in Leixlip to a young Irish woman half the people on this thread would be banned already.

God forbid if the victim was a semi famous Rugby player. The whole site might be shut down in a fit of indignation.

That's human nature though in fairness. We empathise and feel more when we can relate. If we were to experience sadness and loss for every tragic event that happens in every part of the world every day we'd have died out as a species a long time ago.

I'm sure there's plenty of folk in Moscow thinking "jaysus that's bizarre" about a bunch of tragic and strange things that happen on this side of the planet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

beks101 wrote: »
    That's human nature though in fairness. We empathise and feel more when we can relate. If we were to experience sadness and loss for every tragic event that happens in every part of the world every day we'd have died out as a species a long time ago.

I'm sure there's plenty of folk in Moscow thinking "jaysus that's bizarre" about a bunch of tragic and strange things that happen on this side of the planet too.

There's a difference between feeling sadness and being empathetic. You don't have to feel sadness personally to think "That's horrific and not something to be make light of".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Jesus H Christ.

Willy Wonka .
    Oompa Loompas.
    Death by chocolate.
    Agustus Gloop.

Think I've covered all of the possible jokes. A human being has died for Christ sake. Have people no compassion?

No doubt if it happened to boy or girl in their 20's in Cadbury's in Dublin, there'd be bans handed out for jokes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

dfeo wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ.

Willy Wonka .
    Oompa Loompas.
    Death by chocolate.
    Agustus Gloop.

Think I've covered all of the possible jokes. A human being has died for Christ sake. Have people no compassion?

No doubt if it happened to boy or girl in their 20's in Cadbury's in Dublin, there'd be bans handed out for jokes like that.

What does the H stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

And it happened just before Christmas which makes the whole thing much much worse.

No I think it should be the exact same. I think your point of view is exceptionally weird.

I think you could be right about one of us being weird

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Sam Kade wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_H._Christ

pillphil wrote: »
    Sam Kade wrote: »

Henry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember one of the captains on the Deadliest Catch programme telling a terrible story like that. They were mooring up against the side of a factory ship to offload their catch when the captain of the ship came on the radio going insane.

A 17 year old kid working on the factory ship had fallen into the vat they were using to roast the crab. The captain of the crab boat (Sig Hansen) said it was fcuking horrific when they pulled him out.

I've always shuddered when I hear of someone drowning in a slurry tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Henry ?

I like this one.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In a joke made by biology students, the H is said to stand for "Haploid"; the implication being that since by the doctrine of the Virgin birth Jesus had no biological father, his genome would have been inherited entirely from his mother, the Virgin Mary. For the scientific background of the joke see Ploidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,371 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

In mother Russia, chocolate eat you.

Knowing Russians the bystanders most likely had a good laugh at her expense. A breed apart.

Glazers Out!

pillphil wrote: »
    I like this one.
    Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In a joke made by biology students, the H is said to stand for "Haploid"; the implication being that since by the doctrine of the Virgin birth Jesus had no biological father, his genome would have been inherited entirely from his mother, the Virgin Mary. For the scientific background of the joke see Ploidy.

Thanks pillphil; I always wondered what the hell it meant in American movies but never thought to investigate. Now I know. Cheers.

Advertisement