Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video launches in Ireland for €2.99 a month for first 6 months

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Guess i'll finally be buying a fire tv box :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm wonder then should we look to expand the 'aul "Netflix recommendations" thread to something broader?

Without checking, what's Amazon's catalogue like, Original Content notwithstanding?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm wonder then should we look to expand the 'aul "Netflix recommendations" thread to something broader?

Without checking, what's Amazon's catalogue like, Original Content notwithstanding?

Just came on to post this. Is there a sort of catalogue to see if its worth replacing Netflix with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

Just came on to post this. Is there a sort of catalogue to see if its worth replacing Netflix with?

From the Googling I've done it would appear the Irish catalogue isn't as good as the UK one. Surprise surprise!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm trying to sign up for this but keep getting linked back to Prime and the normal 30 day free trail page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

It seems their movie catalogue was lifted straight from the 'Movies for men' +1 channel; shocking. They have really gone all out with Death Race 2 on the first page of their adventure section.

I'm trying to sign up for this but keep getting linked back to Prime and the normal 30 day free trail page?

Ive seen screenshots of what they have on offer films wise over in the Online TV forum and I wouldnt bother if I were you.

Based on what they have so far, Amazon Prime Video isnt even worth having for free as it's just taking up space on your device.

A terrible launch by all accounts.

An example of their "lineup" http://imgur.com/a/LzVWx

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭john jameson

Think il stick with the auld Netflix

This article says Amazon currently lacks the international streaming rights for around 18000 of its titles. Why would you bother launching worldwide if that's the case? Their original series are nowhere near strong enough to make the service attractive.

http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-out-netflix-amazon-prime-video-expands-servi-247447?utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Amazon have been acquiring a lot of films at festivals, so the service might become more attractive as they come on stream.

The lack of a proper catalogue of licensed content isn't hugely surprising. I doubt it will improve much either. The focus now for Netflix and Amazon is on becoming a HBO-like studio that produces and acquires its content rather than licensing it from other studios - which is just too expensive to do worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Liverzeb

Signed up for the free trial assuming the original content from the US version would at least be there (but it isn't) - missing Goliath and the latest pilots so far that I can see. Movies did not seem up to much and no PS4 app from what I can see.

Don't think I will even bother with the free trial at this rate as feel we have been short changed. If they give us an app for the PS4 I will consider trying it for the 6 months at 2.99 as a lot of the shows are pretty good (Transparent especially but hand of God and Mozart in the Jungle and Man in the High Castle are all worth a watch).

I thought I'd have a look today and see if anything's been added since yesterday but when I go to the site it keeps linking me to the UK prime content and won't let me watch anything.

It's a f**king ordeal even trying to find the Irish selection never mind the fact there's f**k all there.

I'm out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Guess i'll finally be buying a fire tv box :)

I take it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, I retract my own excitement; it's a bit of a clusterf*ck, and as usual Amazon's Irish arm leaves a lot to be desired.

Not as useful without the tv/console app for me regardless of content - contacted them about both issues and they have not been very helpful so far - as in, they have not been able to tell me if there will be an app or if the content will grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Have signed up for the week-long trial but without Chromecast support I'll probably not maintain the subscription.

Could have been an easier-than-piracy way to watch a small number of shows but I'm not buying new hardware (FireTV) just so I can stream this one service to the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wytek

Liverzeb wrote: »
    Signed up for the free trial assuming the original content from the US version would at least be there (but it isn't) - missing Goliath and the latest pilots so far that I can see. Movies did not seem up to much and no PS4 app from what I can see.

I subbed yesterday to the 2.99 with 1 week free offer, disappointed with the offering on the PrimeVideo.com site.

Signed into amazon.co.uk went to 'Your Prime Video' and can access a lot more content. (watched 5 episode of goliath last night) No VPN etc. either

Ah didn't realise you could access from the main Amazon site - might be worth pursuing as they definitely have more content there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Signed up for Man in the high, and then depending on whether that drop the full season or it's weekly I might sub.

Will cancel after that as there's so little on it.

• Advertisement

Liverzeb wrote: »
    Ah didn't realise you could access from the main Amazon site - might be worth pursuing as they definitely have more content there

As far as I know you can only access the original content on the main site without a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Varik wrote: »
    Signed up for Man in the high, and then depending on whether that drop the full season or it's weekly I might sub.

Will cancel after that as there's so little on it.

They will drop the whole season in one go.

According to their customer support the content will increase and they will develop an app for the consoles. Tried it tonight through the laptop but very stop start (which is probably my creaky laptop Netflix is working fine from the same broadband).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This article says Amazon currently lacks the international streaming rights for around 18000 of its titles. Why would you bother launching worldwide if that's the case?

There are only three reasons. Their names are Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

icdg wrote: »
    There are only three reasons. Their names are Clarkson, Hammond, and May.

Are they releasing that all at once? Or weekly episodes. I have no interest in them but surely even fans of that stuff would binge watch it, if possible, or find alternative ways to watch. Did I not read the other day that it was already the most pirated show of 2016?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's weekly episodes, and if the catalogue really is as bad as I've been led to believe, I'll probably sign up to catch both it and Man in the High Castle and cancel once they're done (I don't really have time to binge watch anything, so that could take a while, but €3 is the price of a half pint so I'm willing to part with it).

Yes it's already the most pirated show of 2016, surpassing Game of Thrones which held the title for a good while. From what I can tell the only real reason Amazon have done this now is to facilitate the massive demand to launch this show internationally, baring in mind that Top Gear had international sales in practically every English language market and beyond. Note that in a small number of markets (e.g. Canada and India) the service is being launched through the local Amazon instead of the primevideo.com site.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

Are they releasing that all at once? Or weekly episodes. I have no interest in them but surely even fans of that stuff would binge watch it, if possible, or find alternative ways to watch. Did I not read the other day that it was already the most pirated show of 2016?

So no Season 2 of High Castle on primevideo today despite it being released in US and UK this morning. I really was going to give this a chance but will probably just cancel now. No excuse for this when Amazon own the rights for this programme worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    So no Season 2 of High Castle on primevideo today despite it being released in US and UK this morning. I really was going to give this a chance but will probably just cancel now. No excuse for this when Amazon own the rights for this programme worldwide.

Definitely the 'Irish' version of PrimeVideo is lacking right now, but something like that is probably something that can be fixed fairly sharpish.
    Conversely, anyone with a Prime UK Account on Amazon can look at it now no problem - so for anyone wanting to check out the exclusive watch abroad programs, a UK account probably represents a better option (obviously moreso, if you use a VPN).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've got the ps4 app working. All I had to do was add new user set a new account up and said I was in northern Ireland and used a postcode I knew from a company I used to deal with. It's bt324et in Banbridge to save you looking for your own. I dont know if I'm seeing g the UK stock of movies or the Irish though.

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    I've got the ps4 app working. All I had to do was add new user set a new account up and said I was in northern Ireland and used a postcode I knew from a company I used to deal with. It's bt324et in Banbridge to save you looking for your own. I dont know if I'm seeing g the UK stock of movies or the Irish though.

There's about 40 films on the Irish one and I don't think anything is more recent than about 5 years ago. If you'v got anything resembling a selection you've got the UK one.

Advertisement