Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Console Advice

Options
  • 13-12-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi All

Like many I suspect...I'm likely parting with €300+ for a console for a 10yo grandson this Christmas. Are there any compelling reasons to select between a PS4 and XboxOne ??. I suppose it's all a matter of taste and there are good reasons for both...I just don't want to make an obvious mistake. We're only talking MineCraft/FIFA stuff...plus his Dad playing COD etc.

There seem to be good deals on XboxOne S at the moment...decent bundles plus extra controller etc. 500Gb seems huge to me...but lots of 1Tb around as well. For a non-professional gamer...wouldn't 500Gb be more than sufficient ?.

Any thoughts would be a help.

Thanks,
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Depends on how many games he has, 500gb does me fine but I know a lot of people who needed the bigger one. If he won't be having too many games (like more than 12-15) then 500gb will be fine, he can always delete a few and reinstall them after if needs be.

As for PS4 vs XBOX, get what his friends have, and if that doesn't matter get whatevers cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only one thing matters in consoles for kids get what his mates have.

They dont play single so they wont really miss out on anything essential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get what his mates have so he can swap games and play online with them.

That or get an atari jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Both are fabulous consoles and the lucky beggar is gonna be thrilled with which even he gets, but if its mostly games I would get the PS4. The xbox 1 is more of a media console or an entertainment hub....but plays games no probs.

Why not ask him (incognito, like a silly old uncle)

Whats all this business about consoles young Johnny? I dont get what all the fuss is about......?

You will get 10 mins of chatter about the ins and outs of consoles and you will defoo pick up on which one he prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That or get an atari jaguar

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

As above,Try and find out what his mates have or even if he likes playing Online.. PS4 has way better exclusive games but if his mates are on xbox then thats the best one to get..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    We're only talking MineCraft/FIFA stuff...plus his Dad playing COD etc.

Minecraft is an Xbox One exclusive, so it's not on PS4, if that's important, and it could well be to a 10 year old, I'd go with an Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Wish my grannies had that kind of wedge when I was a young chap!

A mix of Wonda Boy and Retro's advice is probably best - suss him out a bit and then get what his mates have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Julez wrote: »
    Minecraft is an Xbox One exclusive, so it's not on PS4, if that's important, and it could well be to a 10 year old, I'd go with an Xbox One.

Minecraft is on PS4:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-9439417-Minecraft-PS4/dp/B00K2S5PUK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481710539&sr=8-1&keywords=ps4+game+minecraft

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-ie/games/minecraft-playstation4-edition/cid=EP4433-CUSA00265_00-MINECRAFTPS40000

• Registered Users Posts: 33,291 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not true. I think the Xbox One version has some small changes the PS4 version doesn't have, but Minecraft is definitely available on both. They were released on the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Regardless what anyone says about exclusives, features etc, the most common and best advice is to get him what his mates have.

Jaysus I must have an Xbox then... all this time spent thinking I had a PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yet another vote for "find out what he likes/want", which in turn it's gonna be what his mates have. Ask him - what are those "consoles" things, and you'll get the full lecture; It's going to be VERY easy to pick up on which one he wants, he most likely will describe it as "fabulous" or whereabouts, and the other as "shoite" or whereabouts...I mean, it's easy to detect when 30 years olds talk about consoles, can't imagine a wee lad being much secretive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If you are watching TV with him and a game ad comes on ask him what it means when they say PS4 or XboxOne at the end. As someone else pointed out, they will veer towards one or the other.

Unless he is like the spoilt kid in Willy wonka, he will be absolutely delighted with either.

Just buy what his mates have. That's the best plan frankly. Kids won't be arsed with the Xbox having this graphics card or this much RAM they just wanna play what their mates have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Start him off right.

Get a PC.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Start him off right.

Get a PC.

What ever kid wants for Christmas. Get him an Atari Jaguar I say

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Raven_k42

Thanks for all the comments guys, K

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Raven_k42 wrote: »
    Hi All

Like many I suspect...I'm likely parting with €300+ for a console for a 10yo grandson this Christmas. Are there any compelling reasons to select between a PS4 and XboxOne ??. I suppose it's all a matter of taste and there are good reasons for both...I just don't want to make an obvious mistake. We're only talking MineCraft/FIFA stuff...plus his Dad playing COD etc.

There seem to be good deals on XboxOne S at the moment...decent bundles plus extra controller etc. 500Gb seems huge to me...but lots of 1Tb around as well. For a non-professional gamer...wouldn't 500Gb be more than sufficient ?.

Any thoughts would be a help.

Thanks,
    K
    for the xbox the memory isnt great in it as 500gb soon becomes around 350gb because of the microsoft update at 1st time boot up , unless the xbox one s hard drive has been improved then the ps4 has much better hard drive but it depends on how many games he will be playing...a 500gb ps4 might do fine if your going for that and for the xbox i would suggest a 1tb over the 500gb...but as others have said if his mates have a specific one then go for that one

Minecraft is for both consoles , i have it for ps4 and xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

for the xbox the memory isnt great in it as 500gb soon becomes around 350gb because of the microsoft update at 1st time boot up , unless the xbox one s hard drive has been improved then the ps4 has much better hard drive but it depends on how many games he will be playing...a 500gb ps4 might do fine if your going for that and for the xbox i would suggest a 1tb over the 500gb...but as others have said if his mates have a specific one then go for that one

It would be as well to just get the 500GB Xbox to start out as you can plug in an external hard drive for more storage, which as well as being cheaper could do as a birthday present down the road!

• Advertisement

It would be as well to just get the 500GB Xbox to start out as you can plug in an external hard drive for more storage, which as well as being cheaper could do as a birthday present down the road!

What every 10 year old wants: memory drives

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Minecraft is everyformat imaginable at this point, bar the 3DS.
    So, if you own a WiiU, a 360, a PS3 or 4, and even a Vita and an Xbox One, Minecraft is on it, heck, I hear it's even on PC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, if you own a WiiU, a 360, a PS3 or 4, and even a Vita and an Xbox One, Minecraft is on it, heck, I hear it's even on PC!
    Except Minecraft Windows 7 VR! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

OP whichever you go for it helps to have the console set up before the big day if at all possible. The PlayStation and Xbox forums have a lot of helpful posters if you need any help.

Playstation: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=523
    Xbox: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661846

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OP whichever you go for it helps to have the console set up before the big day if at all possible. The PlayStation and Xbox forums have a lot of helpful posters if you need any help.

Playstation: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=523
    Xbox: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057661846

:confused::confused::confused:
    1. Plug <console> into <TV> with <HDMI cable>
    2. Turn on <console> and <TV>
    3. Enjoy modern gaming <as you wait for firmware to update>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

With the PS4 that would be offline gaming.. Online is where it's.at. So you need an account created for that.. (if you were unaware ;) )

job seeker wrote: »
    With the PS4 that would be offline gaming.. Online is where it's.at. So you need an account created for that.. (if you were unaware ;) )

God of course the impossible task of creating an account. Takes hours even for veterans. Not like it's possible to create one online

Right this second

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Balls of a job christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Start him off right.

Get a PC.
    I remember the family got a PC for Christmas 1998, i got the monitor, while the brother got the tower. A fancy Pentium II Gateway. Came with a few Microsoft originals, 1 of which was Age of Empires. The rest is history after that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Julez

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Stand corrected on this, my bad. Thought only "story mode" was multi console.

Advertisement