Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you all deal with anxiety?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've developed issues with anxiety over the past two years. I've always been an anxious worrier but just got on with things and it didn't stop me doing things. Now the physical symptoms are overwhelming if I'm doing anything out of the ordinary from my daily routine, no matter how mundane. If I stick to normal day to day activities (work, go to the shops, walk dogs) I'm fine, but something as simple as a hair appointment is just too stressful. I don't even know why I'm anxious - there's nothing scary or stressful about these activities. Can't see myself ever leaving Dublin again at this rate, and I've always enjoyed solo travel. How do I deal with it? I try rationalising the fear, talk about it, take my mind off with tv or reading, go for a walk - but I always end up physically sick and often unable to go or take part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Tea and bicks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've developed issues with anxiety over the past two years. I've always been an anxious worrier but just got on with things and it didn't stop me doing things. Now the physical symptoms are overwhelming if I'm doing anything out of the ordinary from my daily routine, no matter how mundane. If I stick to normal day to day activities (work, go to the shops, walk dogs) I'm fine, but something as simple as a hair appointment is just too stressful. I don't even know why I'm anxious - there's nothing scary or stressful about these activities. Can't see myself ever leaving Dublin again at this rate, and I've always enjoyed solo travel. How do I deal with it? I try rationalising the fear, talk about it, take my mind off with tv or reading, go for a walk - but I always end up physically sick and often unable to go or take part.

Generally (and I'm talking generally so I'm not saying it's the case with you) when anxiety like that strikes out of the blue there is a reason for it. We're great at dealing with stress. I used to pride myself on it, but part of it means just ignoring it. It builds up over years and then vents.

When that happens it's a two pronged approach to getting better. Firstly you have to tackle the immediate anxiety and secondly you have to figure out what the root cause is so you can deal with that.

For the first part, you might want to see a therapist and if it's really affecting your day to day life, go to a GP. There are loads of drugs that can help. Most people think of anti depressants as happy pills. Thing is that most things like SSRI's don't make you happy, they just stop you from getting too anxious or depressed. The bad thing is that it might take a few tries to find one that works right for you. But they can be amazing when you find the right one. It might not knock your anxiety from a 9 down to zero but it will definitely knock it down by 6 or 7 and that's enough that the anxiety is an irritation and not controlling you. And don't feel bad about taking them. It's like having a headache. People might not like taking drugs but if they have a headache toothache bad enough watch them run to the pharmacy. Same with this, if you don't think you need them than that's great. But if you think you might then don't be put off by thinking it makes you any less for taking them.

If you go to see a therapist you'll learn techniques for dealing with the anxiety. So when it hits you don't get overwhelmed and you can deal with it. You'll also figure out (if you don't already know) what kind of stuff triggers it.

You can also google stuff about it. Loads of people have different methods for dealing with it. Some people go to their happy place (never worked for me, I could never think of a happy place), some people distract themselves by humming, I do maths in my head.

The second part is figuring out what caused the stress to build up in the first place. Generally it's a low level thing (or a number of them) that's just built up over the years. And it's never a bad idea to do a bit of mental spring cleaning to figure out what you could do differently or how to tackle a stressful situation differently.

And you're right, it's not rational. But we're not rational creatures no matter how hard we try to.

Don't worry though. Something like 1 in 4 or 5 people will experience anxiety or depression. It's not rational but it's perfectly normal and natural. And it is something you can get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Another thing I find helpful is asking myself 'is worrying or stressing about this going to change the outcome at all?"

9 times out of 10 the answer is no and you're just torturing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you search on YouTube you'll find plenty of decent "talk down" meditation recordings.

I've one downloaded on my phone that works a treat, pop in headphones and it's just 20 minutes long.

I was sceptical but a friend recommended and I find it really good. He says you should do it every day just to relax your brain.
    His reasoning is that our current lifestyle has our brains in a state of hyper stimulation- being fed so much information from screens, phones, TVs, busy lifestyle etc, your brain needs a bit of "me" time to relax.

• Advertisement

GiantTcr wrote: »
    No, I'm not making you feel bad on purpose. I'm making the point that no matter how you feel, there are always others who are worse off. Fact.

Just because he wasn't shot, it doesn't mean he can't complain about being stabbed.

Others might be worse off, but that does nothing to ameliorate his stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

No, I'm not making you feel bad on purpose. I'm making the point that no matter how you feel, there are always others who are worse off. Fact.

That's like saying if i have flu and someone else has pneumonia, then i should just shut up?? Just because i don't require hospitalisation doesn't mean i don't need to go to the chemist,dose up on whatever i can get and crawl into bed for 2 or 3 days! So what?

I'm not having a pity party. Everything is relative and i think it's ok to want to look after yourself in the present moment even if you know it will get better over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Helping someone else, even in little ways like a phonecall. Anxiety is often worrying on oneslef and putting your mind on another person helps. Watching DVD's with comforting food. Pills Doctors prescribe for Anxiety the benzo's like Xanax can be as addictive as hell, best stay away from medication very easy to develop addiction to them and it's the law of diminishing returns at play then. More pills, less effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I just let it go over me or face it down if that makes any sense and it passes,a few weeks ago my doc asked me if I get anxiety and I said who doesn't nowadays,its a sign of the times...lexapro seems to be the new cure all!

No it is not. I never said you were not at liberty to express how you are feeling, in the same way I expressed how I feel. You insinuated I was trying to get "one up on you" and in doing so, make you feel bad on purpose. I was not.

OK, but your advice isn't helpful.

• Advertisement

And besides, if you are seeking advice on how to deal with a medical condition, shouldn't you talk to your doctor?

I don't consider it at a level where i need to go to the doctor. I think this is a useful thread for lots of people who may suffer worse than me or who are just interested in the subject. I am enjoying most of the contributions. They are thoughtful and considered, injected with good humour and wit. And kindness.

Have a nice day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Whenever I'm tormented - I try get out for a run!

Everything always seems OK after a run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Psychotherapy is your friend for this. You like travelling? Do not let anxiety make you a prisoner, or ruin your life. I've been seeing one. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Psychotherapy is your friend for this. You like travelling? Do not let anxiety make you a prisoner, or ruin your life. I've been seeing one. It works.

How does it work/help..is it for anxiety ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Colser wrote: »
    How does it work/help..is it for anxiety ?

Anxiety is fear. You need to figure out what is causing this. Personally, I think a lot of anxiety conditions are caused by low self worth / confidence. I hate to use the term but maybe victimisation; as in a belief that bad things will happen you and you only, meaning the world itself is a scary place and a place that should be feared. My issues all stemmed from years of bullying. Building my self-worth, realising that the world hasn't got it in for me, that I was strong enough to handle anything the world could throw at me, all helped.

It all might sound harsh but it's true. Be kinder to yourself. Remind yourself that you are stronger than you think. With increased self confidence comes increased courage that you can handle any tricky, anxiety-triggering situations. Right now you probably think 'oh here comes a situation I don't like. I bet I'll get anxious', and low and behold, you do.

Therapy gives you the insight to understand yourself and the tools to handle situations you might be scared of. The less focus you put of anxiety, the less it appears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

That's not helping you. You're essentially saying to yourself 'I have no right to feel how I do'. Don't do that - you're only denying the difficulty you're having.
    I know what you mean but I think it depends on the person/problem. Personally I do find putting things into perspective a good mechanism for problems that aren't that big a deal, however I do agree it's not always useful to people who are going through a really terrible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Flimpson wrote: »
    I know what you mean but I think it depends on the person/problem. Personally I do find putting things into perspective a good mechanism for problems that aren't that big a deal, however I do agree it's not always useful to people who are going through a really terrible time.

Yeah, I guess I was speaking to anxiety as a clinical condition rather than just a general sense of anxiousness which is pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Whenever I'm tormented - I try get out for a run!

Everything always seems OK after a run!

Or a swim

Advertisement