Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actress sued by own embryo's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Many women wouldnt tell men they are pregnant till after the cut off point.

Some would for various reasons. But the absolute worst thing to do with a difficult subject like this is assume that "men will do this" or "women will do this". Sure, you have to take into account how laws can be abused, intentionally or otherwise, but if we start from the point of view that the other side is the enemy, we'll never get anywhere.

I know you said "many", but still, it's worth bearing in mind that "women" and "men" aren't hive minds and the majority of people are just ordinary, normal people getting on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That is an awkward one. When the embryos are not implanted, no, I certainly would say that the female should not be pushed to have them implanted to carry them to term. Which is a very different situation, but appears to be closer to the one going on in this case.

The other point I will make is that the male's choice is also a choice over someone else's body. Forcing them to have a medical procedure done. And that -is- a tricky issue in itself. However, let me say again that I accept that the embryo is the genetic material of both and therefore both should have a say.

He's not looking at Sofia Vergara to be implanted he wants them to be given to a surrogate to carry to term , removing her from the equation and complicating the situation further

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Some would for various reasons. But the absolute worst thing to do with a difficult subject like this is assume that "men will do this" or "women will do this". Sure, you have to take into account how laws can be abused, intentionally or otherwise, but if we start from the point of view that the other side is the enemy, we'll never get anywhere.

I know you said "many", but still, it's worth bearing in mind that "women" and "men" aren't hive minds and the majority of people are just ordinary, normal people getting on with their lives.

My point is (made quickly on the phone) that its unfair men are allowed legally disown a fetus prior to a certain stage of pregnancy as men (especially the ones who would want to disown said fetus) may not become aware of said fetus until after the cut off point.

Maybe a man should have two months from notification to disown the fetus rather than having until the mother is 7 months pregnant as he may not be informed.

Advertisement