Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster v Leicester Tigers

Options
  • 07-12-2016 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Munster are strong favourites to win at home.The Tigers are a formidable team when they play at home,but I'd fancy a Munster win in Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Worst match thread ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

bilston wrote: »
    Worst match thread ever!!

Feel free to write your own piece. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shamrock841

H'on Munster! Murray v Youngs will be a battle, wonder will Gatland be in the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Whoever put Zebre vs Toulouse as top billing on Saturday should be sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

bleg wrote: »
    Whoever put Zebre vs Toulouse as top billing on Saturday should be sacked.
    Hardly, it will be competing with Strictly :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

We could (and should?) have beaten them twice last time around and we did everything possible to press the self-destruct button. Leicester aren't in great form - despite having 5 wins on the trot - but I've seen them in action and I'd have nothing to fear. They might have big names but so do we.
    So far this Season, we score an average of 3.4 tries per game and concede 1.5 and Tigers' numbers are 2.4 : 2.1 after 10 games for both teams (difference in quality of opposition maybe but stats are stats).

I'm really looking forward to Saturday - I've got a kind of mental boner about it since last weekend - and I hope the weather stays dry. I like some of the Tigers squad too, Croft in particular, and I hope it's a good game of rugby but I'll be just as happy if it's a one-sided affair in Munsters favour.
    Munster will get the 4 points and I maintain we could get 5.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I can't wait for this one now too, feels like it's gonna be a really big game for how the rest of the season goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Looks like its gonna be close to a sell out, only tickets left are for the North Terrace apparantly.
    Gonna be a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

After losing by a single try to Porto I reckon they're there for the taking.

YOU shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

cant wait. heading diwn from drogheda tomorrow night, stay with the folks in kerry, then up to limerick early enough. anyone recommend anywhere nice for grub that would be showing the games before hand, driving back to drogheda after the game so dont need alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What a different a few weeks make. I'm hopeful and semi confident. Limerick needs to be the fortress it used to be.

Leicester will come to Thomond hoping to sneak a win. We'll be expecting a win and hoping for a winning bonus point.

If Murray and Bleyendaal stay on the pitch we'll create and take our chances. With Stander POM, TOD, JOD, Archer, Scannell, Donnacha Ryan...... Our forwards can compete with any team in the championship. With Sweetnam, Conway, Zebo, Taute, Earls, ROM.... Our centres and backs are fearsome again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Akrasia wrote: »
    What a different a few weeks make. I'm hopeful and semi confident. Limerick needs to be the fortress it used to be.

Leicester will come to Thomond hoping to sneak a win. We'll be expecting a win and hoping for a winning bonus point.

If Murray and Bleyendaal stay on the pitch we'll create and take our chances. With Stander POM, TOD, JOD, Archer, Scannell, Donnacha Ryan...... Our forwards can compete with any team in the championship. With Sweetnam, Conway, Zebo, Taute, Earls, ROM.... Our centres and backs are fearsome again

Fair to say out starting 15 looks as strong as it has in a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/rugby/23601.php

Munster Side Named For Leicester Tigers
    Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus makes 6 changes to the side that defeated Glasgow Warriors in PRO12 action last weekend for tomorrow's return to Champions Cup action against Leicester Tigers at Thomond Park - KO 3.15pm.
    As part of two changes to the pack Donnacha Ryan and CJ Stander come into the second row and back row respectively, while four changes to the backline see Conor Murray and Tyler Bleyendaal take charge at half back with Keith Earls and Simon Zebo starting in the back three.

In making these changes, Erasmus keeps faith with the same starting XV that defeated Glasgow 38-17 in the Champions Cup back in October.

Should they feature from the bench tomorrow, new arrivals this season Rhys Marshall, Thomas Du Toitand Jean Kleyn will all make their European debuts.

Munster XV: Simon Zebo; Darren Sweetnam, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Donnacha Ryan, Billy Holland; Peter O'Mahony - capt., Tommy O'Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Thomas Du Toit, Stephen Archer, Jean Kleyn, Jack O'Donoghue, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Andrew Conway

Munster v Leicester Tigers, European Champions Cup Round 3, Saturday December 10th at Thomond Park - KO 3.15pm.

Over 24,000 tickets have now been sold for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Delighted with that team, pretty much as strong as we can get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

only 3 of the starting 15 haven't been capped. the 2 Scannells and Sweetnam are the only ones and they're not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭cup of tea

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    cant wait. heading diwn from drogheda tomorrow night, stay with the folks in kerry, then up to limerick early enough. anyone recommend anywhere nice for grub that would be showing the games before hand, driving back to drogheda after the game so dont need alcohol

Bobby Byrnes maybe for a carvery? Cad a carvery in there recently and it was very good You can take the exit for Dooradoyle off the dual carriageway so won't really be going out of your way coming from Kerry while still being close to thomond.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Cheers ill look into that. always park in HArveys Key so shouldn't be an issue getting there from Doradoyle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Cheers ill look into that. always park in HArveys Key so shouldn't be an issue getting there from Doradoyle.

Bobby Byrnes is on O'Connell Avenue. It's nowhere near Dooradoyle and it's about a 15 min walk form Harveys Quay. They're would be closer places in town. Smyths near the market do a carvery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I know Munster have beaten Leicester a few times at Welford Road but have they beaten them at Thomond Park before?

Korat wrote: »
    I know Munster have beaten Leicester a few times at Welford Road but have they beaten them at Thomond Park before?

Nope. Leicester have 2 visits and 2 wins in Thomond. Munster have 3 visits and 2 wins in Welford Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Nope. Leicester have 2 visits and 2 wins in Thomond. Munster have 3 visits and 2 wins in Welford Rd.

There'll be no shortage of motivation for Munster but that's an anomalous statistic that needs to be put right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Hardly, it will be competing with Strictly :P

From BT's POV 3:15pm is its top billing - it's not competing with any football.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

One thing I love on mornings of European Cup games is reading up on fans travelling back home from abroad or from those that live & work outside the province to get to the game. Then for away games the fans that dig deep into their pockets to get to away games. It's one of the things that made the cup great.

Safe travels to everyone

I think we have a better squad playing better than this time last year.

For different reasons this is my first time getting to see Leicester play in Thomond and I'm really looking forward to it. I hope tonight is our first win at home against them.

I saw on Twitter yesterday that the Coco Cola bus is at the Parkway today, that might cause traffic issues near the Parkway roundabout. If you're planning that as your route to Thomond then you might want to consider an alternative route.

phog wrote: »
    I saw on Twitter yesterday that the Coco Cola bus is at the Parkway today, that might cause traffic issues near the Parkway roundabout. If you're planning that as your route to Thomond then you might want to consider an alternative route.

+1. Avoid the Parkway at all costs. The Coca Cola Truck was in the Coonagh SC last year and traffic was caotic. It tool me 25 minutes to get from Shiels on the Ennis Road to the Coonagh roundabout that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Replacements:
    16. George McGuigan
    17. Ellis Genge
    18. Pat Cilliers
    19. Luke Hamilton
    20. Will Evans
    21. Sam Harrison
    22. Jack Roberts
    23. Tom Brady

Not too many familiar names on the Leicester bench, bar a late career change for a certain quarterback! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Flashdean

Wheres the best place to grab a pint beforehand.. Im coming from kildare but am a leicester tiger!! Staying in the radisson blu.. a bit outside but just wanna know where to tell the taxi driver where to drop me off?

Cheers lads..
    Best of luck today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Replacements:
    16. George McGuigan
    17. Ellis Genge
    18. Pat Cilliers
    19. Luke Hamilton
    20. Will Evans
    21. Sam Harrison
    22. Jack Roberts
    23. Tom Brady

Not too many familiar names on the Leicester bench, bar a late career change for a certain quarterback! ;)
    Mcguigan was Irish u20's hooker a couple of years back. Genge is a young up and coming prop that went on the England tour to Australia in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Genge has a bit of a reputation, so might be worth keeping an eye on! Bristol moved him on to Leicester due to some "temperament" issues

• Advertisement

Flashdean wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to grab a pint beforehand.. Im coming from kildare but am a leicester tiger!! Staying in the radisson blu.. a bit outside but just wanna know where to tell the taxi driver where to drop me off?

Cheers lads..
    Best of luck today!!

Welcome

Not too much on offer food wise that side of town. They'll be a P&R bus from the hotel to & from the ground. You could eat in the hotel and hop on the bus. Cost in the region €5

If you get a taxi try the Woodview Hotel or Ardhu Bar (side by side) on the Ennis Road and a few minutes walk to the ground.

If walking from either of those, come out of premises, on the Ennis Rd, with your back to the premises, turn right (heading in towards city) then take your 1st left, thru the roundabout, turn left at T junction, then take 2nd left. Thomond will be visible from there.

Advertisement