Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games to play after dinner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

The single best game I know for a group of people is Cranium.

It is SO much fun. You play in teams and it's a mix of pictionary, charades, name that tune and a few others. It's great because of the mix there's something for everyone.

Other good ones we play a lot are Apples to Apples, The Game of Life, Linkee and the all time classics Monopoly, Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit. Thee's something to be said for the old school stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Dominoes

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Worth noting that Smyths have 3 for 2 on all board games at the moment.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/page/o/board-games-offer/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Brainbox games are good fun, you can give younger kids a bit longer to look at the card.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Green-Board-Game-44171W/dp/B002IIECVK/ref=sr_1_3?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1481105983&sr=1-3&keywords=brain+box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 GerHankey

I was always a big fan of Trivial Pursuit. There's loads of different types of questions to suit all types of people and I find its more fun with a good few that can work in teams (like an Adult & a Child or something like that).
    My kids are big Monopoly fans too, but not everybody has the temperament for that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We've often played Hedbandz (or the iPhone equivalent) as an after dinner party game at family dinners and we're all adults. Sure once everyone gets into it, it's abit of craic. Not all of us would be into the more studious board games so this one suits everyone.

I can also recommend 30 Seconds as a good all rounder, it's for age 8+.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Pass the Bomb & Tension are two great family games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Maybe for later in the evening when you've had a few drinks but we had a family get together recently and when we came home from the pub we started into Pictionary and charades! They never get old and when there's a crowd of you it's the best craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Uno. We've been playing it for years. For the last few years, I've also been doing a table quiz which is a bit of a laugh, just make sure the teams are evenly balanced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

miamee wrote: »
    We've often played Hedbandz (or the iPhone equivalent) as an after dinner party game at family dinners and we're all adults. Sure once everyone gets into it, it's abit of craic. Not all of us would be into the more studious board games so this one suits everyone.

Never heard of 30 seconds, is it too old for a six year old? Or if she played on team with an adult?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

She might be a little young alright, there are cards and you have to be able to read 5 things on the card and then descibe them as much as you can in 30 seconds to your team mates so that they can guess each of them.
    If you made allowances and let her team up with an adult it might work? Just to confirm that she knew what the items were that she was trying to describe.

Actually I just had a look and there is a junior version that is labelled as suitable for 7+ years - that might just be to do with reading age though? I haven't used that one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

She might be a little young alright, there are cards and you have to be able to read 5 things on the card and then descibe them as much as you can in 30 seconds to your team mates so that they can guess each of them.
    If you made allowances and let her team up with an adult it might work? Just to confirm that she knew what the items were that she was trying to describe.

Actually I just had a look and there is a junior version that is labelled as suitable for 7+ years - that might just be to do with reading age though? I haven't used that one I'm afraid.

Brilliant, thanks!

No problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Jenga is always great fun in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

A few games coming in to lidl soon. The ap version of headbands is called heads up and it's great fun. Games like Clluedo and pictonary never go out of date either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

30 Seconds is great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

We play Scrabble every Christmas, although it can get heated with people making words up :)

Got the chase game last year which s pretty decent so I say we'll be getting that out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Articulate is great fun

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Chess, or Buckaroo

Advertisement