Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County council general operative

Options
  • 06-12-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Looking at a job and it says starting pay is €495.13 (minimum point for new entrants. Is this before or after tax ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Before any deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Water John wrote: »
    Before any deductions.

Not what I was wanting to hear. Do you know what the deductions would be for a single male

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Dupont wrote: »
    Not what I was wanting to hear. Do you know what the deductions would be for a single male

Your status of being a single male- is irrelevant.
    Standard public sector deductions- including a public sector pension levy (which I believe is 7% at this pay level), USC and all other standard deductions apply. As you'd obviously be on the lower tax band- your net pay would probably be in the region of 440-445 a week.
    Your best bet for more clarity would be to contact one of the unions representing the grade in question (most probably SIPTU)- they normally have a payscale with net deductions factored in which they are happy to share (with caveats- aka it will depend on your tax status, credits and other factors, that they simply cannot enumerate).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭AprilMayJune

Being a single person is relevant in that he only has his own tax credit and tax bands. Assuming that you have no other employment to share your tax credits with your take home pay would be €416. Also take note that if you join the union which most public servants do this would take approx another €5 from this and the income protection scheme would be a further deduction should you wish to join that.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Working as a low paid CIVIL servant deductions would be closer to €100 per week.

Assuming you would have similar deductions in addition to USC, PAYE etc., I would expect you would come home with around €385 - €405 or every week.

I think the advice about getting in touch with the union is good, they'd have access to accurate figures.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies people. At the minute my net pay is 440 and I think gross is 516.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Some accountancy firms actually have online tax calculators which are quite helpful; if you can clarify the pension deduction, you can include that in the calculation.

When comparing your current earnings to this job, don't forget to look into your pension entitlements in the Council job, because public servants have a Defined Benefit pension, which is rare in the private sector (although you didn't say where you were working).

Creol1 wrote: »
    Some accountancy firms actually have online tax calculators which are quite helpful; if you can clarify the pension deduction, you can include that in the calculation.

When comparing your current earnings to this job, don't forget to look into your pension entitlements in the Council job, because public servants have a Defined Benefit pension, which is rare in the private sector (although you didn't say where you were working).

At the min I am paying into a pension scheme thing

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cilles man

Got word back today for operative position in local county council to say I qualified for second interview , I reached the overall qualifying mark.As I scored above the 75% in the marks , 1)Seen that they commence interviewing with highest scoring candidate, where would you find out where they stand on the overall panel going forward ?, 2) How long do panels last for ?Apologies as its my first time applying for a council position. Any feed back would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In the past, all these jobs were on a who you know basis. I doubt much has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

God thats not bad money!!! I know career engineers who aren't earning that!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

cilles man wrote: »
    Got word back today for operative position in local county council to say I qualified for second interview , that I reached the overall qualifying mark.As I scored above the 75% in the marks , 1)will this get me on a panel for 2 nd interview , 2) How long do panels last for ?Apologies as its my first time applying for a council position.

You've got to the second interview, depending on your performance in that, if you score high enough there it sounds like you would then be placed on a panel for any vacancies. Panels last for as long as it takes to appoint the people they want to appoint. Anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. Whatever suits their agenda, who they want to appoint, and when.
    cilles man wrote: »
    Any feed back would be grateful.

That depends on you really.

If you are an intelligent honest, reliable, hard working, not very well connected, innocent type of person, that takes their work seriously, then a county council job is not for you and you'll hate every day there and regret the day you entered through their doors. If your morality and integrity is very 'flexible', you'll have a long, happy, and prosperous career.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Skommando wrote:
    If you are an intelligent honest, reliable, hard working, not very well connected, innocent type of person, that takes their work seriously, then a county council job is not for you and you'll hate every day there and regret the day you entered through their doors. If your morality and integrity is very 'flexible', you'll have a long, happy, and prosperous career.

Could you open up more about that comment? Why would your integrity and morals need flexibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 careerdublin

Hi
    I've been called for an Interview for Fingal Co Co General Op any idea or tips on what questions will be asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LouiseS1989

Hi
    I've been called for an Interview for Fingal Co Co General Op any idea or tips on what questions will be asked?

Hi careerdublin,
    Just came across your post my partner also did an interview for fingal co council have you heard back yet?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

Hi careerdublin,
    Just came across your post my partner also did an interview for fingal co council have you heard back yet?
    Thanks

Hi, where would a job like this be advertised?

Hi, where would a job like this be advertised?

It was advertised on the fingal co council website. They also advertise on Dublin co council website..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was advertised on the fingal co council website. They also advertise on Dublin co council website..

And on publicjobs.ie
    You can create a profile with set criteria- and when jobs in the public sector are announced- you'll get an e-mail to give you a headsup.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Hi

Dress neatly. Be able to talk about the jobs you've had. Know something about the Council - read their website.

Essentially they want to make sure you'll turn up on time, do your work and are not a scuttering gobsh!te :)

No I haven't heard anything back yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

Council jobs also advertised on localgovernmentjobs.ie - worth keeping an eye out there if you're interested.

The salary scales shown are the basic rate, they don't include premium payments that you MIGHT get such as meal allowances or travel for using your own vehicle. These are paid tax free. There could also be overtime such as an hour in the morning, Saturday working etc. But bar in mind that it is rare enough to get premium payments and they might be fought over going to the more senior members

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toyota07

Hi

HI there, Just wondering if you have heard anything back from Fingal county council after your interview, I also had a interview on the 7th July 2017 but still haven't heard anything from them coming up to 5 weeks now Just wondering how long does it normally take to receive a reply back from them

Hi There, IM just wondering did anybody else get called for a interview with fingal county council for a general op position in July 2017, I had a interview in July and am still waiting to hear from them and its 5 week now....... Just wondering how long does it normally take to receive a reply from them or is it bad news that I haven't heard from them yet...... or should I contact them....

Regards

I haven't heard anything either but my experience of these types of jobs suggest that they take a while to come up with the panels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

The interview a massive amount for them council jobs, sometimes 100's to be honest.

Usually 4 - 6 weeks after interview they start sending out letters if you've made the second round or else removed from process.

toyota07 wrote: »
    Hi There, IM just wondering did anybody else get called for a interview with fingal county council for a general op position in July 2017, I had a interview in July and am still waiting to hear from them and its 5 week now....... Just wondering how long does it normally take to receive a reply from them or is it bad news that I haven't heard from them yet...... or should I contact them....

Regards

My partner also had an interview in july, he hasn't heard anything back yet.

Did you contact them? Or have you heard anything?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rubyruby123

Did anyone get a letter back from the Council if they got the job or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rubyruby123

For General Operative in Swords

HI There, just to let you know I received a letter back from Fingal county council yesterday to say I was successful in the interview and that a position of general op was mine as soon as a vacancy came up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

Hi toyota07 I'm just wondering can you remember the questions you were asked for your final interview for general operative with county council? Iv an interview coming up I found the first interview quite hard.
    Thanks

Advertisement