Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today FM Megathread Mod warning post #1 / #1401

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Heard a bit of him today too. Appalling! He was on 98 or 104 in Dublin for a while wasn’t he? Is that his usual presenting “style”?

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Heard a bit of him today too. Appalling! He was on 98 or 104 in Dublin for a while wasn’t he? Is that his usual presenting “style”?

He was on 98FM for five years I thought? He’s won a good few IMROs at this point as well – he got two in 2019 alone!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

During his time at 98fm I wasn’t mad about Dara Quilty. I thought he was a poor man’s Ray Foley.

Dara’s podcast is very good though. If he could transfer that style to a Dermot & Dave style show he could do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Loughc wrote: »
    During his time at 98fm I wasn’t mad about Dara Quilty. I thought he was a poor man’s Ray Foley.

Data’s podcast is very good though. If he could transfer that style to a Dermot & Dave style show he could do very well.

Brent Spiner does a podcast!? :D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Brent Spiner does a podcast!? :D:D:D

Auto-correct fail :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Havent listened to muchradio over the past few weeks, but was in the car there an hour ago and caught a bit of Dara Quilty.
    I had never heard of him apart from the exaltations on here from Mikey/Steve/Whateverhescallinghimself, but my Christ, he is awful.
    He sounds like a complete weirdo, not in a fergal-darcy-trying-to-remain-a-teenager weird, more like incoherent-aloof-loner-who-will-stab-you-while-you-sleep weird. Hi saccent is all over the shop as well, maybe its part of the act?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,346 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

retalivity wrote: »
    Havent listened to muchradio over the past few weeks, but was in the car there an hour ago and caught a bit of Dara Quilty.
    I had never heard of him apart from the exaltations on here from Mikey/Steve/Whateverhescallinghimself, but my Christ, he is awful.
    He sounds like a complete weirdo, not in a fergal-darcy-trying-to-remain-a-teenager weird, more like incoherent-aloof-loner-who-will-stab-you-while-you-sleep weird. Hi saccent is all over the shop as well, maybe its part of the act?

He sounds perma-confused. Like he has no idea what hes saying from one word to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,110 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

pjohnson wrote: »
    He sounds perma-confused. Like he has no idea what hes saying from one word to the next.

exactly, its like there are 2 different trails of thought going on his head, but the words that come out are a mix of them all.

exactly, its like there are 2 different trails of thought going on his head, but the words that come out are a mix of them all.

Is English his first language? I assumed so but maybe he was/is a Gaelgoir?

That could explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

What a brilliant description!!! I’m going to have to listen now as I’m genuinely intrigued.
    I absolutely love your sum up of that irritating person known as Fergal Darcy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Mairead another week off at least Pamela is not moaning about covid or boots..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Will O'Callaghan presenting The Last Word tonight. Actually easier on the ear than Matt is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Big Game wrote: »
    Will O'Callaghan presenting The Last Word tonight. Actually easier on the ear than Matt is these days.

I'm usually in the car or the kitchen Saturday afternoons these days so listen to Dec Pearse and Will doing the Saturday sports/music show and Will comes across well in that show.

It'll take a while to suss him out on TLW, assume he'll be expected to toe the Woke party line of Matt and his producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is English his first language? I assumed so but maybe he was/is a Gaelgoir?

That could explain it.

I don’t think he’s fluent in Irish. I think I remember seeing him say he covered Spin 1038’s Irish show before with Leaving Cert level Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

BPKS wrote: »
    It'll take a while to suss him out on TLW, assume he'll be expected to toe the Woke party line of Matt and his producers.

So woke he invites a right-wing Trumpista like Cal Thomas onto his show every week, to moan about the unfairness of it all when things aren't going Trump's way?

Cathal Funge in last night again for Paul McLoone, and I heard him a couple of times over the Christmas, too - also on previous bank holidays. I really like his eclectic taste in music, kind of like an expanded Ed Smith Songs of Praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

So woke he invites a right-wing Trumpista like Cal Thomas onto his show every week, to moan about the unfairness of it all when things aren't going Trump's way?

To be fair, any semblance of journalistic neutrality on Matt's part goes out the window when he has Cal Thomas on, it's a Matt / Marion McKeown tag-team taking on Cal. It's bad form on the part of a host in my book and I'd be far closer to Marion's take on US politics than Cal's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Really like Will, great broadcaster with an easy going away. Have been to a few events where he was the MC, and he was top class.

To be fair, any semblance of journalistic neutrality on Matt's part goes out the window when he has Cal Thomas on, it's a Matt / Marion McKeown tag-team taking on Cal. It's bad form on the part of a host in my book and I'd be far closer to Marion's take on US politics than Cal's.

Cal was a shadow of himself recently just repeating whatever conspiracy rubbish DonDon was shíting out, hopefully Cal recovers his senses now.

He completely disgraced himself a few months ago with his rambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Had Unfollowed this thread because I no longer listened since Premier League Live contract wasn't renewed by Today FM & the announcement, on final day of 2018/2019 Season came quite abruptly for all of us I think.

Well, there's now an option.

Not sure when it started, whether from beginning of season or not, but Trevor Welch anchors a Saturday afternoon Sports/Soccer programme chiefly from Broadcasting House, home of (Corks) 96 FM.

It's simulcast with C103 (again, Cork), Live 95, FM104 (Dublin), Q102 (Dublin) & LMFM.

Commentaries're provided by TalkSport.

Wireless Capital own the Irish Radio Stations named.

12 Noon to 7pm on Saturdays.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/arid-40058825.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Cathal Funge in last night again for Paul McLoone, and I heard him a couple of times over the Christmas, too - also on previous bank holidays. I really like his eclectic taste in music, kind of like an expanded Ed Smith Songs of Praise.

That's no surprise as Cathal Funge was with alternative rock licensee Phantom FM/TXFM throughout its whole 10 year license period, and. before that, Phantom's two temporary licenses. In fact, he first joined Phantom in the early '00s when it was still a pirate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

It was great hearing Cathal Funge, brought me back to the phantom days. Was also great to take a break from hearing Jason Derulo every 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

It was great hearing Cathal Funge, brought me back to the phantom days. Was also great to take a break from hearing Jason Derulo every 20 mins

Paul McLoone has never played Jason Derulo I'd wager.

I usually watch a bit of TV before going to bed so don't tune in much live to McLoone anymore but have started listening back to his shows during the day and it's great stuff.

Mairead another week off at least Pamela is not moaning about covid or boots..

Yeah. Imagine, taking time off over Christmas/New Year. Matt's on a week (fortnight?) off, too. Paul McLoone is just back. Ed Smith just back from Sunday, too.

https://twitter.com/EdTodayFM/status/1318596811209277440

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Some pile of dung on Today FM. Donkeys with their stupid laughs and the trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

Please elaborate.. sounds fascinating!!
    Cerveza wrote: »
    Some pile of dung on Today FM. Donkeys with their stupid laughs and the trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Dannyman76

Another Easy interview for Varadker on The Last Word. No mention of the Senators from Golfgate he reinstated. Also waiting for Mairead Ronan's book on her ordeal with Covid after the interview she had on her own show today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Another Easy interview for Varadker on The Last Word. No mention of the Senators from Golfgate he reinstated. Also waiting for Mairead Ronan's book on her ordeal with Covid after the interview she had on her own show today

Mairead wasn’t on today ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Dannyman76

Mairead wasn’t on today ?????

Pamela Joyce called her. She said listeners were asking where she was. She's back WFH on Monday in case anyone else wants to switch stations

• Advertisement

Dannyman76 wrote: »
    Pamela Joyce called her. She said listeners were asking where she was. She's back WFH on Monday in case anyone else wants to switch stations

Don't even have to go searching this time. I refer you to post #5905, up the page a bit...

Advertisement