Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Dog to get

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Just signed up to do some volunteering with <snip> :)

I think you're right though doggy day care might be the only option, I would love to know though, I cannot be the only person in this situation? Does everyone put their dog into day care or have someone come over? So many people have pets and work 9-5 :confused: I do agree thought it is a long time and I would feel terrible anyway so day care seems a good shout

That's brilliant that you've signed up with them! A while after getting our dog my wife got full time work, much sooner than what we expected and we really didn't fancy leaving our dog alone all day. She gets anxious and bored very quickly when she's alone
    Doggy daycare basically picked us as we had no other option and by accident it was a great option, because of going there she's an extremely social playful dog (which allayed our only fear when we got her which was dog aggression as she's an APBT)
    Different dogs will have different needs, ours is definitely more demanding than some, maybe a lower energy slightly older dog would be fine getting walked in the middle of the day and left home again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Chewing on windowsills is so funny.

I have a staffy myself and I love her to bits. 12 years old this winter she is. Git her when she was a puppy. Recently diagnosed with arthritis but she's doing good. She's on meds every day and prancing around with ease. She likes to harass cows but I'm no better myself - I like to point to cows and say 'look at the moo moos'. Drives her nuts. She's looking so much like an old hag every day. I love her.

Staffies get a lot of bad press in the news which is such a pity. In my opinion they are only dangerous if you are allergic to licks. I've often been licked by stranger staffies in town when I see a staffy and say hello. One of my neighbours has mongrel dogs and they are nasty little pricks. The lot of them running around in a pack intimidating anyone that passes by. No muzzles on them. Off topic a little but yeah, Staffordshire bull terriers are beautiful, loyal, friendly dogs. My one is loved so much.

I know you most likely don't leave her do it but the "likes to harass cows" part I wouldn't put off so lightly. I've had people let their dogs off for a run only for them to drive young calves thru wire injuring them and cows abort pregnancies worst case was a cow chased and fell in to a drain and I had to put the cow down. First response when the dog is gathered by the owner is to leg it as well in the experiences I've had. I've no problem with people walking dogs but if they are off lead by god the recall better have an instant response. And I now will not leave someone put their dog off lead on our land. Not only is it animals getting hurt it's some people's livelihoods. For 3 years I had trouble with certain people renting nearby and their inability to control their dogs. Solely the owners fault.

peasant wrote: »
    Not to beat about the bush ...don't get too attached to that new furniture.

You're looking at big, strong and strong willed dogs and are planning on leaving them on their own for 8+ hours during their puppy and teenage phase ...good luck.

Only saying:

destructive-dogs-1.jpg

Which is why the dog should be living outside and not inside ruining furniture.

Mod note Please see mod warning below before thinking about replying to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

You're right, I know it doesnt get a good reaction, but this is my situation & if i could change it i would but cant. I could leave the dog outside to roam the back garden (medium/ small sized) but just not a fan of putting a dog outside either you know. Its a Semi D house. Off course the last thing Id want is issues hence trying to get the right dog within what I would like. A flap on the door wouldnt be possible (glass sliding doors). I could get a house out the back and leave it out during the day if required to have space and fresh air but the human in me would rather it be inside. I know folks who are in the same boat with medium/large dogs and its fine once trained and stimulating toys to keep them busy but Im sure youll hear horror stories too

OP you say this is your situation and if you could change it you would but you cant. I dont want to be harsh but if you cant change it, then maybe you shouldn't be getting a dog.

Firstly, let me say I have two dogs at home when I am in work all day (one being a border collie who require a huge amount of exercise and stimulation). So I am not saying it cant be done...of course it can but to ignore the fact that it could potentially be a HUGE issue for you, I dont think you should brush it off lightly by responding "well I cant change my situation but I am going to get a dog anyway". Maybe you will have to change your situation or maybe you cant get a dog. It can be done of course but you have to be 110% dedicated!

I walk my dogs twice a day 7 days a week - a decent, long and tiring walk before and after work. And I also have someone to come in and walk them two days a week. Additionally, my dogs are senior dogs. They are used to their routine and they are brought out for walks rain snow or storm. I don't have much a life during the week (another thing to bear in mind) because I have the dogs which I have to go home to. So I am extremely lucky that my dogs are happy to be alone all day. But that may not be the case for everyone.

So I would strongly consider the following (I) are you genuinely prepared for how much work you will have to put in to a dog who will be alone majority of the day? (II) getting a puppy....I can just manage my two dogs alone every day and they are 6 and 8. I don't think a puppy would be the best decision in your situation and would consider getting an older dog (III) alternative arrangements during the day. If you do get a dog, I would strongly recommend day care if you can or at least have a dog walker come in a couple times a week. (IV) if you plan to get a bully breed, you may have trouble getting it into a doggy day care. Of course you may not have any problem but a friend of mine had a doggy day care and always refused Staffies as any one she had caused huge amount of problems for her. It was the only breed she did turn down.

Its nice to see you doing the research though. Well done! And good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As someone who raised a couple of puppies: In your situation I'd not recommend you getting a puppy. I consider puppies worse than babies in the first few months :pac:
    I know they are super duper mega adorable, but they do need constant care and someone to look after and they just can't do this amount of time that you are in work full-time on their own. A grown dog would be a lot more suiting, one that already knows how to be alone.
    Some dogs are really lazy and they wouldn't mind longer periods on their own but with puppies I can tell you the chance of this ending up in tears can be quite high.
    I really don't wanna be patronizing, it's just the experience.

Also if you're planning a baby anytime soon, I know the thought of a child and a dog growing up together is a romantic thought. The reality is a nightmare when both are very young because toddler has no coordination, a young dog dorks around, you permanently need to keep an eye on them. Never ever again, I got my first foster dog when my son was 2, he was a puppy and that was absolutely nothing but exhausting.

I'd really take the time in your case and take your list of needs and find a grown dog that fits into this lifestyle: Good with kids, can stay alone, has the right temper.
    It will make you a lot more happy in the long run. I have been in a similar situation and I know I'd never do that again like that. Puppies are by now a personal nightmare of mine :P
    My current dog, an Australian Shepherd, was the worst puppy I've ever experienced, even my sister said (she's working in a shelter) she's surprised I just didn't give up because she was nuts. I mean, she still is, but I kinda like her, just a lovely retard.

But fair play to you to do your research and not just jumping into the whole thing, I'm sure you'll find the perfect dog, the wait will totally pay off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Which is why the dog should be living outside and not inside ruining furniture.

I'm going to nip this line of discussion in the bud right now.
    This is NOT a thread about where people think dogs should live.
    If you want to discuss that topic yet again, start another thread so it can be inevitably closed again.
    No more discussion about indoor/outdoor dogs please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Only seeing this thread now...Greyhound or lurcher - ideal for your situation.Hardly shed, don't need hours of walking and happy to sleep 10 hours in one go. I have a lurcher. last weekend I went to bed at 11 pm letting him out for a wee before going to bed. I woke up at 9 am and the **** wouldn't even get up to go outside for his morning wee til about 11.Not a bother on him,Now, since he is my first lurcher I don't know if they are all like that but he's the most easy going and funniest dog ever!! He even sulks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I would love to know though, I cannot be the only person in this situation? Does everyone put their dog into day care or have someone come over? So many people have pets and work 9-5 :confused: I do agree thought it is a long time and I would feel terrible anyway so day care seems a good shout

We both work full time and are out of the house during the day. But the dog is walked first thing in the morning (before everything else) and has his breakfast before I go to work. Husband is home first, lets him out to the loo and a sniff around the garden. Then he is walked again and later in the evening he is taken out for pre bed time wee. During the summer time, he spends most of the evening outside as we potter around the garden.

BUT we go our dog as a rescue, as a adult (4-5yrs old) and from a situation where he was already used to being on his own during the day.

As we both work full time, getting a puppy is unfortunately (as much as I'd love to) never going to an option for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Only seeing this thread now...Greyhound or lurcher - ideal for your situation.Hardly shed, don't need hours of walking and happy to sleep 10 hours in one go. I have a lurcher. last weekend I went to bed at 11 pm letting him out for a wee before going to bed. I woke up at 9 am and the **** wouldn't even get up to go outside for his morning wee til about 11.Not a bother on him,Now, since he is my first lurcher I don't know if they are all like that but he's the most easy going and funniest dog ever!! He even sulks...

Yes I've heard older lurchers and greyhounds are lovely pets to have, they love lazing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

lol. My boy is only 2 or 3.He was picked up running for his life from a halting site.Now trained with cats and smallies. Doesn't mind lifestock either.Such a funny guy.And as lazy as they come.Zoomies 3 times a day and he's out cold.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

There was a lurcher in my local area last week had his skull smashed in, someone just trying to get rid of him I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

My Milo is a lurcher and is definitely a couch potato. The only thing is he sheds A LOT and he's very short haired. My other half is very allergic to his hair and I feel awful cause I used to be of the opinion they didn't shed much, that's part of the reason we got a lurcher, oops!! Just an observation :)

Advertisement