Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like for Xmas?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

a partridge in a pear tree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

An end to the absurd western culture of gifting.
    By all means let Santa come to the kids. But, do grown adults really need to swap pointless tat with each other at christmas? It's a pain in the hole.

The act of gift giving is a rich old tradition steeped in sociological significance. It denotes not just the item itself but the relationship between the people and the connotations it evokes. It is not about what you receive but rather the energy underlying the giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

biko wrote: »
    Peace on earth.

And good will to all men (And women too ;) )
    A ticket to go home and see my parents.

Too far to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The act of gift giving is a rich old tradition steeped in sociological significance. It denotes not just the item itself but the relationship between the people and the connotations it evokes. It is not about what you receive but rather the energy underlying the giving.

Derrida would also say that the giving of a gift creates an obligation.

Grayson wrote: »
    Derrida would also say that the giving of a gift creates an obligation.

And he would be right. Sociologically it can be seen as bearing a weight on the recipient to respond in kind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

A good ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

And he would be right. Sociologically it can be seen as bearing a weight on the recipient to respond in kind.

Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Meh I have everything I could want.
    I have invested a lot of money in a huge project this autumn so that's present enough for me. There is literally nothing I am hoping for
    My gift to you is modesty.

I have invested a lot of money in a huge project this autumn so that's present enough for me. There is literally nothing I am hoping for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

longshanks wrote: »

Three doses of it, apparently.

Somebody saying that they're content with what they have is not the same as boasting, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

No thanks. It took me a long time to be proud of everything I achieved and I've no intention of being modest when I am in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

An oxblood leather hobo bag
    And world peace
    But mainly the handbag please

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

A new kitchen

maudgonner wrote: »

Three doses of it, apparently.

Somebody saying that they're content with what they have is not the same as boasting, by the way.

About the triple post; I forgot why I hated the responsive site so tried it out again, now I remember.

Also, what kind of bubble does someone have to be living in to say they have everything they could possibly want and literally hope for nothing?

About the triple post; I forgot why I hated the responsive site so tried it out again, now I remember.

Also, what kind of bubble does someone have to be living in to say they have everything they could possibly want and literally hope for nothing?

Somebody who is content with their lot. Like me for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭kittensmittens

A brand new car.

I'd settle for one that isn't falling apart(thats what I was going to ask for). Mine is hanging on by a thread and I'm fecked if it goes :(

I genuinely dont get why someone couldn't see that she wasn't bragging and is content and in a happy place and moreover, happy with her lot!
    There are real life Grinch's out there :D

The kind of bubble where you don't confuse having everything with having everything you want.

I'd settle for one that isn't falling apart(thats what I was going to ask for). Mine is hanging on by a thread and I'm fecked if it goes :(

Me too, I am saving for a second hand one but to be gifted a car would be like angels falling. I'd settle for a mini :D

Me too, I am saving for a second hand one but to be gifted a car would be like angels falling. I'd settle for a mini :D

Mine is 12 years old a LITERALLY falling apart, dont think it will pass its next NCT :o:(

*Santa???*
    *can Surreptitious and me have half decent momo's for xmas?* :D

• Advertisement

Mine is 12 years old a LITERALLY falling apart, dont think it will pass its next NCT :o:(

*Santa???*
    *can Surreptitious and me have half decent momo's for xmas?* :D

Mine's a 1995 :) Please Santa out there we do deserve it :)

I'm saving to buy a house. So a house would be nice :pac:

(And since that's asking a bit much of Santa I'd settle for enough insight to decide where I want to live & work, which would make buying a house a much more reasonable proposition :o)

Mine's a 1995 :) Please Santa out there we do deserve it :)

*Santa.....Surreptitious needs it more, hers/his is a right old banger* :D:P

maudgonner wrote: »
    The kind of bubble where you don't confuse having everything with having everything you want.

I genuinely dont get why someone couldn't see that she wasn't bragging and is content and in a happy place and moreover, happy with her lot!
    There are real life Grinch's out there :D

No Grinch here petal, I think you might be missing the point though. Pandoras box would be wasted on her.
    To know people, both on a personal level and the world at large and then say there is nothing to hope for is ridiculous.

No Grinch here petal, I think you might be missing the point though. Pandoras box would be wasted on her.
    To know people, both on a personal level and the world at large and then say there is nothing to hope for is ridiculous.

You're on the naughty list .....for sure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I would like to know what the Scientologists have on Tom Cruise.

It must be some serious sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

To have my credit card cleared. PlZ and thank you.

But there's generally nothing I actually want or need, I just buy it myself. Hence the credit card bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

What's your problem? I have no interest in gadgets, so no ps games or Xbox box games, a tablet would be wasted on me, my phone is grand. If I see clothes or shoes or a handbag I like, I treat myself. I buy myself new makeup when it's released. I make a point of treating myself at least once a week, whether that's a new lipstick or an asos order. I have two pets and wouldn't have the time to look after any more. I don't really watch telly so box sets are wasted on me. Everyone I care about is happy and healthy thank god so no worries there. I'm happy out with life for the minute and I honestly don't see why it's annoyed you so much me saying there is nothing that I really hope someone buys me for Christmas. I have everything that makes me happy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How would Pandora's box be a good present for anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah the ould lighthearted thread being turned into an internet argument, great! :rolleyes:

Tis times like this I realise why my interest in here has wained significantly!

Advertisement