Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TitianGerm wrote: »
    21% off some Google products on their website today with the code B-GOOGLE21.

Cheers, just picked up an additional NEST protect for €101, had been meaning to get one for a while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hue light strip and extension for £55 via an Amazon deal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hue light strip and extension for £55 via an Amazon deal of the day.

Are they any better these days? I have jsut sent the last two I purchased back to Philips because they are unusable due to a whine from the transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Are they any better these days? I have jsut sent the last two I purchased back to Philips because they are unusable due to a whine from the transformer.

Mine is the same when turned up high. Design flaw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Mine is the same when turned up high. Design flaw?

Seems to be an issue alright from my research online. I believe they changed the design of them since hence asking if anyone knows if they have gotten better.

• Advertisement

Don't know about the newer versions sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Nest protect (battery) & camera have dropped to within a fiver of their lowest prices ever.

New ones coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

OU812 wrote: »
    Nest protect (battery) & camera have dropped to within a fiver of their lowest prices ever.

New ones coming?

Good possibility but still a good price. Was waiting to get another one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZC5F9W2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

£79

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Hue garden lighting deal

Hue playbar deal of the day...havn't yet taken the plunge with these do it's tempting.

£125 for two plus extension.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=ae65bbfe&marketplaceId=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&ref=dotd_h_t&ref_=pe_2118791_412310311

• Advertisement

A few deals on Hue 3 packs

THE ALM wrote: »
    A few deals on Hue 3 packs

Back on today (different link)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hue playbar deal of the day...havn't yet taken the plunge with these do it's tempting.

£125 for two plus extension.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/?handlerName=OctopusDealLandingStream&deals=ae65bbfe&marketplaceId=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&ref=dotd_h_t&ref_=pe_2118791_412310311

Unless you’re into gaming I don’t think they are worth it. Until they can sync up to tv easily, they’re not for me.

Harmony Elite on deal of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

THE ALM wrote: »
    Harmony Elite on deal of the day

That is some deal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I got the lower specced version of this Harmony bundle and to be honest I found it pretty useless. You have to plug in the Hub. It is notoriosuly difficult to connect to, if you use a special charater in your wi-fi password (which most good routers require) it can't connect.

I eventually got it connected. You need to plug the hub in near your TV, then run the cable with the IR blaster to a place where it can hit your TV. Tons of wires and a socket used up.

It claims to be able to run automations. But you have to build them step by step. Imagine sitting there programming it to follow all the steps needed to get to Netflix. Press the power button, wait 10 seconds for the TV to start, press Smart Apps button, press right 3 times to find Netflix, press select.

I just got a Firestick 4K, it's remote works with the TV so I'm down to one remote (the TV's remote controls the Firestick so I have a back up). And Alexa can just turn on Netflix with a single voice command.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I got the lower specced version of this Harmony bundle and to be honest I found it pretty useless. You have to plug in the Hub. It is notoriosuly difficult to connect to, if you use a special charater in your wi-fi password (which most good routers require) it can't connect.

I eventually got it connected. You need to plug the hub in near your TV, then run the cable with the IR blaster to a place where it can hit your TV. Tons of wires and a socket used up.

It claims to be able to run automations. But you have to build them step by step. Imagine sitting there programming it to follow all the steps needed to get to Netflix. Press the power button, wait 10 seconds for the TV to start, press Smart Apps button, press right 3 times to find Netflix, press select.

I just got a Firestick 4K, it's remote works with the TV so I'm down to one remote (the TV's remote controls the Firestick so I have a back up). And Alexa can just turn on Netflix with a single voice command.

I have the elite and it's replaced my TV remote, SKY Remote, DVD remote, Soundbar remote, Roku3 remote so I'm happy.

I built 3 routines, which work between watching SKY, watching DVDs or watching Roku.

The routines only take a few minutes to setup and once done, you don't have to go near them again. It also have home assistant integration so I can say "Alexa, turn on TV" and the routine kicks in, turns on TV to the correct HDMI, turns on the sound bar, SKY box and I'm ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

It took me 5 mins max to program a routine to start Netflix on my Firestick 4K. It switches HDMI, turns on firestick, waits 3 s, press down twice and then hit's select. Took 5 mins max to program once and works perfect since then.
    I have another one to start an IPTV app on the firestick. Again works great.

I dont know how the programming could be anything other than step by step. How could harmony know your unique TV, set top box, hardware setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep im the same,

i use mine to control my hdmi matrix, sky box, two different apple tvs, an xbox one, sonos sound bar and tv.

once its set up its perfect have been using a couple of hubs flawlessly for 2 years.

Sounds like ye have the elite which is much better. As mentioned I've the lower spec one which isn't a patch on it.

But either way it's still a lot of unnecessary steps. I just say Alexa play peppa pig on netflix. And she will turn on the TV, open Netflix and start playing Peppa pig.

I've never had to build any presets. And there is no extra boxes or cables around the tv. Just one small stick in the hdmi port.

• Advertisement

I've have 3 harmonys, over the last 14 years.
    You're so wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Sounds like ye have the elite which is much better. As mentioned I've the lower spec one which isn't a patch on it.

But either way it's still a lot of unnecessary steps. I just say Alexa play peppa pig on netflix. And she will turn on the TV, open Netflix and start playing Peppa pig.

I've never had to build any presets. And there is no extra boxes or cables around the tv. Just one small stick in the hdmi port.

The Ultimate? With the control buttons above the screen? That's the one I have- works great. Setting stuff up was easy. I have an unrelated issue with the TV that can sometimes cause issues but that has nothing to do with the remote, which is top drawer stuff.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    The Ultimate? With the control buttons above the screen? That's the one I have- works great. Setting stuff up was easy. I have an unrelated issue with the TV that can sometimes cause issues but that has nothing to do with the remote, which is top drawer stuff.

No this one, doesnt have a screen.

https://images.app.goo.gl/XZ1TSc94ArYFmhdb6

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Google Wifi at 40% off in Argos, starting from €85 but supply may be limited.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7032497/Trail/searchtext%3EGOOGLE+WIFI.htm

R

TP link smart plugs with energy monitoring - £15 today on an Amazon deal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

TECKIN Smart Plug 13A WiFi Socket Works with Alexa Echo Google Home IFTTT, Timing Function Remote Control No Hub Required 4 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07STZ1V3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gdcSDb1ZNK3FS

These work out at £11.25 ish per unit. I have the TPink version and four of the teckin plugs. The teckin do exactly the same job specs wise and are also smaller and better looking. You hardly notice them behind the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭ted1

TECKIN Smart Plug 13A WiFi Socket Works with Alexa Echo Google Home IFTTT, Timing Function Remote Control No Hub Required 4 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07STZ1V3J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gdcSDb1ZNK3FS

These work out at £11.25 ish per unit. I have the TPink version and four of the teckin plugs. The teckin do exactly the same job specs wise and are also smaller and better looking. You hardly notice them behind the plug

I have them and they are great , work with google home. Haven’t had an issue since I got them.

I’ve one in the shed, “google, turn on the shed”
    Lights on

I use another one for the Christmas tree as it takes a schedule too. In the off season it’s on the misses bedside light. She always falls asleep with it in so I can shut it off with voice or my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

ted1 wrote: »
    I have them and they are great , work with google home. Haven’t had an issue since I got them.

Lights on

I use another one for the Christmas tree as it takes a schedule too. In the off season it’s on the misses bedside light. She always falls asleep with it in so I can shut it off with voice or my phone.

Likewise, led outdoor strip lights. Oil storage heaters in the younger kids bedroom at night when I don't want to hear an entire zone using the boiler. Kettle boiled for coffee before I come down in the morning. Endless uses

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭garion

ted1 wrote: »

Lights on

+1 for the Teckin plugs too. I have them controlling the TV so I can shut it off if the kids need a break. Thankfully they haven't figured out yet that they can just press the button on the plug to turn it back on!
    I also have them on bedside lamps in the kids rooms too. Great for setting countdown timers so the kids get 15 mins of reading/playing time before the lights go off and it's bed time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭deezell

Be great if there was something you could connect that would carry out the command, "Alexa, turn off missus".... tried sending read out text hints on Alexa, i.e, "Change TV Channel to Champions League" (during fair city), or "Make tea". She plugged it out.

Advertisement