Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mummy (2017)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think it looks great. I dig the Ghost Protocol-esque aesthetic, and what looks like set pieces lifted from the Uncharted games. Oh and Sofia Boutella!

I keep meaning to re-vist the Fraser films. The tongue-in-cheek b-movie thing didn't work for me at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, caveats about the nature of trailers aside, that looked utterly cookie-cutter. Action set-pieces, mythical filler & the studio-mandated urban destruction. Oh no she's destroying London :rolleyes:

Knowing of Universal's desire to have some sort of 'monster universe' series just makes the thing look terribly cynical.

Only surprise was Jake Johnson appearing in the trailer; so now I'm stuck thinking Nick Miller has somehow wandered into a thriller. Might be good research for his next Peperwood Chronicles novel :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Looks a bit generic.

I'd have preferred a more understated 'The Mummy' and an actual horror movie.

Looks like we're going to be treated to yet another sub-par wolfman/werewolf movie. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Looks very cookie cutter but cruise is always good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pretty much the whole movie there in two minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Doesn't look like there's going to be much to Boutella's Mummy and will simply be all evil. I really hope the rumours aren't true of BIG SPOILER BE WARNED
    the curse passing to Cruise's character who takes it forward as the Mummy in the UMU.

The final trailer

Fairly major giveaway in that trailer in regards to Cruise's character.
    I really hope Sofia Boutella is not done after this film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Initial reviews coming in seem mixed at best, scathing at worst; star name notwithstanding this always seemed like something that risked severe audience apathy.

In other news, Universal are also apparently adding Quesemodo and the Phantom of the Opera to their roster for 'the dark univerese'. But considering this is their second attempt to launch the universe after Dracula Untold, I wouldn't hold my breath we'll see then onscreen.

• Advertisement

My expectations have been low throughout the production with Kurtzman proving with every interview that at best he's out of his depth, and at worst ignorant of what makes these classic characters work.

I'll be seeing it regardless but I genuinely fear for this movie going up against WW this weekend. The only positive is that Universal seem fairly committed to ploughing on given the cast announcements. What I mean by positive is that this is a universe I really want to see....only you know...Kurtzman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It's an interesting one to look at its box office. In the US, both Baywatch and the latest Pirates film under performed. Which was much to the benefit of Wonder woman. Unsure as to how it will fare, all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

As mentioned above, reviews for this new Mummy film are in and they are no good...

"The film might have been silly enough to be enjoyably camp. Instead it's a witless omnium gatherum of mongrel sources and clichés."

"The movie is a pain in the sarcophagus. I fear that it will anger the gods."

"How meh is The Mummy? Let me count the ways. For all the digital desperation from overworked computers, this Tom Cruise reboot lands onscreen with a resounding thud. Epic fail."

"Make it stop, Mummy! I'm not scared, Mummy! I don't want whatever this thinks itself to be."

"Cruise runs and shouts his way through set pieces, while others mumble mythological explanations, and Ahmanet simply stands around showing off her hieroglyph tattoos."

It angers me that all these big hollywood studios are so transparently desperate to get a 'cinematic universe' going. The big problem they're all making is that they should focus all their efforts on making the first film good. Instead they just piss around setting up future films, shoehorning in characters that 'link' to the new 'dark universe'. It's all getting very pathetic.

Marvel actually bothered to make good, or at least coherent first installments for all their major characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Anyone else see the reviews and think of the company name behind the film them and so come up with..
    Wow, this film is being _UNIVERSALLY_ panned!

No?

Right so..

:D

Slydice wrote: »
    Anyone else see the reviews and think of the company name behind the film them and so come up with..
    Wow, this film is being _UNIVERSALLY_ panned!

No?

Right so..

:D

I'm sure people have been banned for less.

... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

You have to wonder how Cruise feels about the current state of his career.

It really feels like he's slumming taking this on. Congrats Tom you're the new Brendan Fraser. You've got to think that in this stage of his career he'd be heading towards more Oscar bait roles, instead he's pushing out MIs and sequels to movies that were less than stellar performers (Die again tomorrow, JR). Top Gun 2 talk seems to be the more of a major talking point for interviews. The trailer for American Made seems sort of pedestrian, but admittedly interesting.

He doesn't strike me as the type of individual that wallows in self doubt, but does he regret breaking up with Paula Wagner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It really feels like he's slumming taking this on. Congrats Tom you're the new Brendan Fraser. You've got to think that in this stage of his career he'd be heading towards more Oscar bate roles, instead he's pushing out MIs and sequels to movies that were less than stellar performers (Die again tomorrow, JR). Top Gun 2 talk seems to be the more of a major talking point for interviews. The trailer for American Made seems sort of pedestrian, but admittedly interesting.

He doesn't strike me as the type of individual that wallows in self doubt, but does he regret breaking up with Paula Wagner

I kinda figure it's a bit of an ego thing. He always comes across as being all about Tom Cruise and his last 10-15 years of movies have become more and more about him doing crazy stunts and action. He has been one of the top action stars for a while now (helped on by the MI series and a few Sci-Fi/action flicks) and I'd say he's trying desperately (in his 50s) to fight the passage of time and stay on top. Top Gun 2 may surprise but I think it'll be the moment where the Tom Cruise train runs out of steam. The Mummy looks to be the first stumble on the way down but it won't be the end of him as an action movie draw. Once the demise does begin, he can either carry on and do a De Niro or actually try and find good movies that don't involve him hamming it up or jumping off buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

It really feels like he's slumming taking this on. Congrats Tom you're the new Brendan Fraser. You've got to think that in this stage of his career he'd be heading towards more Oscar bate roles, instead he's pushing out MIs and sequels to movies that were less than stellar performers (Die again tomorrow, JR). Top Gun 2 talk seems to be the more of a major talking point for interviews. The trailer for American Made seems sort of pedestrian, but admittedly interesting.

one word, scientology. no chance of getting an Oscar, or Oscar role with that joke of a fairytale controlling him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

pixelburp wrote: »
    Initial reviews coming in seem mixed at best, scathing at worst; star name notwithstanding this always seemed like something that risked severe audience apathy.

In other news, Universal are also apparently adding Quesemodo and the Phantom of the Opera to their roster for 'the dark univerese'. But considering this is their second attempt to launch the universe after Dracula Untold, I wouldn't hold my breath we'll see then onscreen.

'Cinematic universes', the 'effin bane of modern cinema.
    It's hard enough to just tell a good story without loading a script with the baggage of 'universe building' which often includes future sequel setups, intoducing superfluous future characters and shoe horning it all into a 'five picture multi character story arc'.
    It's feckin' exhausting and every film this kind of movie making produces tends to feels like a bloated two hour trailer for soem coming 'event movie'.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I kinda figure it's a bit of an ego thing. He always comes across as being all about Tom Cruise and his last 10-15 years of movies have become more and more about him doing crazy stunts and action. He has been one of the top action stars for a while now (helped on by the MI series and a few Sci-Fi/action flicks) and I'd say he's trying desperately (in his 50s) to fight the passage of time and stay on top. Top Gun 2 may surprise but I think it'll be the moment where the Tom Cruise train runs out of steam. The Mummy looks to be the first stumble on the way down but it won't be the end of him as an action movie draw. Once the demise does begin, he can either carry on and do a De Niro or actually try and find good movies that don't involve him hamming it up or jumping off buildings.

He has recovered before e.g. Knight and Day. I remember being surprised how a Cruise movie could open so quietly and without the usual fanfare. Age is really playing against him now. I was struck by how old he looked in MI5. He kinda seemed ageless before that. I think there's a certain desperation from old guys (not acknowledging themselves as old guys) doing action that puts an audience off. That's why I'm surprised he's not getting heavy with the drama. Who knows, maybe he needs the action cheques for his church?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

copeyhagen wrote: »
    one word, scientology. no chance of getting an Oscar, or Oscar role with that joke of a fairytale controlling him.

yes good point, the best thing he can do for the world is make scientology the most money as possible so I wouldnt expect him to shift gears or go indie any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Yep, because God or Allah is a much more believable fairy tale!

It's sad if scientology is having a negative impact on the roles available to him regardless of how ridiculous it may be.

When Hollywood is so willing to forgive rapists, paedophiles and general thugs, the impact Cruise's beliefs have had on his career becomes a bit of a farce. It says more about those who control Hollywood than Cruise.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    It's sad if scientology is having a negative impact on the roles available to him regardless of how ridiculous it may be.

When Hollywood is so willing to forgive rapists, paedophiles and general thugs, the impact Cruise's beliefs have had on his career becomes a bit of a farce. It says more about those who control Hollywood than Cruise.

I really don't think being a scientologist is getting in the way of his choice of roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

I really don't think being a scientologist is getting in the way of his choice of roles.

Not at all, Cruise is very 'brand conscious', For a while it seemed that that he felt should go for a bit of Oscar bait to polish his brand. He swung a few times, but missed, and then went right back to churning out Cruise branded product. He seems most at home in franchises centered on him that portray him with a sense of confidence, competence and assurance that his brand likes to portray him as oozing in spades.

I think Cruise would be working a lot more than he is if it wasn't for scientology. Of Cruise's major ventures in recent memory, Jack Reacher and the MI films wouldn't have been made without him being producer/buying the rights.

Edge of Tomorrow is one of the most well received sci fis in recent years but the marketing of the film was non existent. So you likely have a scenario where a studio saw the film as low risk and director wanted Cruise specifically.

Universal seem to be trying to recreate the whole "classic actor for classic monster" kind of thing by hiring Crowe, Depp and Cruise so were willing to take a seismic risk here. It could still work in terms of overseas returns yet overseas returns didn't save the last Terminator film and its continuity.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I think Cruise would be working a lot more than he is if it wasn't for scientology. Of Cruise's major ventures in recent memory, Jack Reacher and the MI films wouldn't have been made without him being producer/buying the rights.

Edge of Tomorrow is one of the most well received sci fis in recent years but the marketing of the film was non existent. So you likely have a scenario where a studio saw the film as low risk and director wanted Cruise specifically.

Universal seem to be trying to recreate the whole "classic actor for classic monster" kind of thing by hiring Crowe, Depp and Cruise so were willing to take a seismic risk here. It could still work in terms of overseas returns yet overseas returns didn't save the last Terminator film and its continuity.

Seriously, being a scientologist in Hollywood isn't a disadvantage. I don't think you realise the reach of the church.

Seriously, being a scientologist in Hollywood isn't a disadvantage. I don't think you realise the reach of the church.

Maybe so, perhaps it's more the public's reaction to scientology that is hindering guys like Smith and Cruise.

I think Cruise does a lot of these films these days just to fulfill is adrenaline junkie addiction from doing the crazy over the top stunts himself.

Cruise's next film American Made might be the one for the awards it reunites him with his Edge of Tomorrow director Doug Liman.

American made trailer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057749202

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's an interesting one to look at its box office. In the US, both Baywatch and the latest Pirates film under performed. Which was much to the benefit of Wonder woman. Unsure as to how it will fare, all in all.

That Baywatch film is the biggest load of trash ever created. Pirates Salazars Revenge do is a very good movie that deserves to do well.
    This The Mummy also looks terrible and from the reviews I have seen I will not be bothering to go see it in the cinema. They were all either 1 or 2 stars thats just terrible. So will this be Tom Cruises first ever flop or has he been in a film that was a big flop before?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement