Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of getting a boat surveyed

Options
  • 01-12-2016 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a boat survey done in the last year or would know roughly how much one costs.
    I assume the survey will need a boat lift so there is that cost also, not sure what that would cost, am guess a lift is about 300 euro and then maybe another 200 or 300 for the surveyor?
    Would that be about right?

Thanks in advance.........

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

what kind of survey (condition, insurance, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Tabnabs wrote: »
    what kind of survey (condition, insurance, etc.)?

For buying a boat so I would guess condition, although I am assuming that could then be used for insurance?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

€500 would cover lift in and out and pre-purchase survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

My pre purchase survey for a 32ft catamaran that was already out of the water in 2007 was €400 plus VAT = €484. Maybe that was in Tiger times :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

I'd appreciate an example of this... Typical Shannon survey would be minimum,
    300 lift in and out plus 350/500 for survey and that's minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Lot of information here...

http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/surveyors.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

I paid €300 for a survey earlier this year and the boat had numerous defects which were not picked up so I would consider a survey only a portion of the due diligence that has to be done when buying a second-hand boat. A survey is not a complete A to Z comprehensive check when it comes to buying.

I didn't get a mechanic to check the boat and that was a big mistake, would highly recommended this step.

Regarding lifting, I bought the boat from a "dealer" and explained to him that if he wanted to sell the boat then the lift was his cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 romanewas

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Western Irish inspector to do a pre-purchase inspection of a small yacht which is exactly at Kilrush Marina Co. Clare? Thank you very much in advance for the information.

Advertisement