Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

In our post-truth world, many people have now made this claim here without citing any evidence. As I pointed out here, however, the international evidence says exactly the opposite: MUP works.

So what. Nobody cares what your problem with alcohol is.

If I want an occasional drink from an off licence, nobody is going tell me that the price being so high is for my own health or to stop me and other people from abusing it, because we cannot be trusted.

This super catholic, do gooder, nanny state cr@p is what has the country where it is. It would serve us better to improve our health system. The health system is not full of people who are there because they drink 10 cans of Dutch Gold in a week.
    MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    You're buying 24cans for €20 and you think you're overpaying?
    Hardly.
    No wonder our consumption levels have quadrupled since the 60's

€2 a can is pleanty cheap enough.

Says who ? You ?

Comparatively and like everything else we pay way above the EU average for everything and no mouth with a pioneer pin will try and tell me otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

You're buying 24cans for €20 and you think you're overpaying?
    Hardly.
    No wonder our consumption levels have quadrupled since the 60's

€2 a can is pleanty cheap enough.

Would that not have something to do with the fact that more women drink now than in the 60s & also our population has grown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Here we go again with people not being able take responsibility for their own actions.

It's happening in the UK with some parents asking the government to step in and do their job as parents to 'protect' their kids from the internet.

If you've got an alcohol problem, just admit it instead of blaming cheap drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Help!!!! wrote: »
    No but why force someone to pay €2 for a can when its 98c right now

I don't agree or disagree either way, simply making the point no-one is "forced" to buy alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is the minimum price a tax or just a minimum price?
    So does the supplier and seller both increase their profit margins here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its a minimum price so everyone wins except consumers. Government gets whatever margin of tax is currently on alcohol and the supplier/seller takes the rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

24 euro for 20 euro would be rare nowadays normally the best you will get is 24 for 24. This is far more expensive than many other European countries.

Newsflash. We're not like other European countries.

We've a problem with excessive and binge drinking, particularly among our young population.

€2 a can is actually too cheap IMO.

It's a minimum price that the seller is allowed charge which includes the taxes we already pay. The issue at the moment is below cost selling. Under this, that will not be allowed.

pilly wrote: »
    I don't agree or disagree either way, simply making the point no-one is "forced" to buy alcohol.

Never said they were " forced " to buy it but being " forced " to over pay for it

Never said they were " forced " to buy it but being " forced " to over pay for it

There's no difference between those 2 things. Ah I give up. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It's a minimum price that the seller is allowed charge which includes the taxes we already pay. The issue at the moment is below cost selling. Under this, that will not be allowed.

Show me the shops that are selling below cost?
    Apart from the occasional stock clearance this is probably few and far between.

We've a problem with excessive and binge drinking, particularly among our young population.

Austria, Belgium, France, Czech Republic, Germany, Estonia, Slovenia all have consumption levels above ours.

Continuing to hold alcohol up as a magic elxir to be kept away from younger people is not gonna fix the problem with young people binge drinking.

We need to normalise it so its not this special right of passage thing you suddenly get access to so immediately binge on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So how much should a can be?

Newsflash. Drinking alcohol is a personal choice.

What I drink and when I drink is none of your or some overpaid Dail committee's business.

Ireland ALREADY pays 75% above the EU average.

000c6ece-614.jpg

Cigarettes have had a "minimum", ie. set price forever which rises every year by at least 50 cents. Where's the outcry about this? There isn't one because as smokers we know bloody well we've a choice not to buy cigarettes if it bothers us that much. I don't see any difference.

There's no difference between those 2 things. Ah I give up. :P

Yes there is but you gave up....no backsies :D

Cigarettes have had a "minimum", ie. set price forever which rises every year by at least 50 cents. Where's the outcry about this? There isn't one because as smokers we know bloody well we've a choice not to buy cigarettes if it bothers us that much. I don't see any difference.

Alcohol is more sociable. You don't bring a box of fags with you for the hosts when you go round for dinner

Thats a tax, this isn't, its a focused minimum price increase targeted at a specific section of the trade to try to boost sales for vintners.

Its got nothing to do with health and will have zero benefits for the people its claiming to be aimed at. If you had a drinking problem before it, your still gonna have one after this and spend whatever it takes to feed it.

Do the high price of drugs suddenly stop drug addicts being drug addicts?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

LETS AGREE AND SAY, LOK A IT YHE OTHER WAY ANDU AND I HAVE HAVE GOT THIS GOT COMPLETELY, WRONG, ITS THE WAY TEH ENTIRE WORLD FUNTIONS, WE CANT JUST HAVE A BUNCH OF CITIXENS AND WE KNOW NOHTING ABOUT THEM,

I AND THEN IF CAN GO ROUND TO THA TOP, I THINK PUT IT UPSIDE DOW INSTED AND WE AND CAN AGREE WE WILL HAV MORE CITIZXEN INFORMATION,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭Old Bill

This is just more Political Correctness.

The government has no right to tell me how much I can drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Is smoking going down as a result of the cost of cigarettes in Ireland?

elefant wrote: »
    Is smoking going down as a result of the cost of cigarettes in Ireland?

Yep

Yep

Is vaping?

Alcohol is more sociable. You don't bring a box of fags with you for the hosts when you go round for dinner

Ah so now it's about the price of bringing a bottle of wine around to someone's house. Come on now, would you arrive with the cheapest bottle of wine in the shop before?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Is vaping?

No, it's up obviously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

VinLieger wrote: »

Its got nothing to do with health and will have zero benefits for the people its claiming to be aimed at. If you had a drinking problem before it, your still gonna have one after this and spend whatever it takes to feed it.

Do the high price of drugs suddenly stop drug addicts being drug addicts?

Pricing is a massive factor in youth consumption as they tend to have less disposable income.

People whinging about having to pay €2 for a can?
    First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Yep

Specifically as a result of the cost of cigarettes?

Why doesn't Ireland have the lowest smokers per capita in the EU if it is cost that is causing a fall?

Pricing is a massive factor in youth consumption as they tend to have less disposable income.

People whinging about having to pay €2 for a can?
    First world problems.

No it isn't, they will just go out & mug some poor granny & take her pension or break into an extra few houses

People who have died from passive social drinking is a massive problem isn't it.

Pick a better analogy and one that actually holds water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We've always had a culture of binge drinking,when I was younger it was live like a pioneer monk for the week and go on the tear for the weekend.I don't do that any more as nights out are a rare treat.Nothing changes except this nanny state mentality because a few can't control their urge to get locked every day.

Only a blind fool can't see that minimum pricing is just a revenue raising exercise as politicians know we'll moan a bit and end up paying higher prices they set and it's win win for them as they can claim a victory against rampant alcoholism and get even more revenue in taxes and duty as a nice little bonus.

Advertisement