Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

I think this will be really interesting where this goes from here. A lot of people are used to their €20 slab and will notice now that it's doubled in cost. It's fairly rare that a policy change causes such stark changes in price - usually it's a couple of percent here and there, which can go unnoticed.

I think this will be the straw that breaks the camels back

I thought it would be a small increase - 10, 20, 30c on top. But nope. Supermarket own brands will disappear - no point trying to sell them when its the same price as big brands, no specials for paddys day, xmas, easter. Those on welfare will be hit hardest as they are the ones more likely to buy the cheap beer - it's now gonna double in price for them

And while people say it's been coming for a long while there really hasn't been any coverage on it except the past few days - I'd all but forgptten about it til I saw the thread here last week

Gonna be a very rude awakening for lots of people come tomorrow - whilst I sit here sipping my final can of Carlsberg that cost 75c, you will be fondly remembered

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Tesco upped their prices a few days ago.

Prices are more expensive than they have been the past month or two, but still cheaper than MUP on aldi site, I didn't check everything. 12 cans for €17 for example, deliver or collect. I think delivery is €5.

24 pack of Bud for 45 euro - yeah, no. Who's gonna pay that kind of price (wouldn't buy Bud at 20 euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

where was the outcry 8 months ago, when this deal was done ? Inflation high at present, Petrol prices, Home heating, January blues, Covid and heap this down on top of people ?, how did this ever gain traction , only in Ireland could you have such an paradox, where the govt is fleecing you in one hand with huge excise tax, and the other hand another policy to increase the price further to save ourselves from drinking ourselves to death.

I emailed a number of TDs on this last year, Sure its not going to affect any of them, but I just hope it comes back to bite them.

Where is all the "extra" money going????

Is the cross border trade going to flourish??? That ol trip to Newry every 6 Months may have to become every 3-4 Months

• Advertisement

The outcry was muffled and ignored.

I don't think tomorrow people will realise it, nor maybe this week, but come around St Patricks day, Easter etc. when there are normally sales, the minimum a case of beer will be €40 odd. Wine €12.50 etc.

Not sure if Valentines day will be affected.

But to be perfectly honest, it's not just the crazy pricing strategy, none of the profits to benefit from. It's everything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The extra money, if you live south of Balbriggan (and are not a stockpiled) is going to supermarkets, who now no longer have to compete with each other.

North of Balbriggan, it won't be viable to sell cases larger than 8 cans. Most trade will go north.

NI have agreed in principle to MUP too, but now that this advantage has been established, I cannot see them throwing it away.

The cross border trade is 100% going to flourish, incentivising them to stay away from MUP. No doubt before the Government admit defeat they would happily bring in another law stopping people from bringing x amount of alcohol back over the border with predictable disastrous consequences.

I have no idea how and when this is going to backfire, but on my door it will be vocal. I've had enough of them robbing us to profit their deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Conspiracy theorists said the politicians are in favour of the pubs.

Post edited by Freddie Mcinerney on

I thought that too....next trick out of the box will be a 'max' on the quantity you can bring from NI.....implimementing/ policing that opens a whole new can of worms. I cant see any upshot for NI to introduce MUP??? As in, this craziness is a bit of a bonanza for NI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It isn't a conspiracy theory. It was literally in the 2011 FG manifesto that they intended to introduce MUP to protect pubs.

How can they possibly impose a quota from NI?

Off licences around the border are gonna die a death

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

What are these stupid red card,?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Really? Have you ever been overseas, by which I mean to any of our partner countries in the EU single market? Apart from Sweden, and possibly Denmark, they all have booze that is significantly cheaper than ours. Have a look, for example, at Aldi's prices for beer in Germany. A relative who runs an (Irish) bar in Germany sent me this and I had to ask were they retail or wholesale prices! (They're retail)

If price was the only issue with alcohol, you'd wonder how the Europeans get up for work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its not a conspiracy theory when FG have literally printed it in their own menifesto

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it is when they managed to get every TD and Senator of every party and none to support them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Since 2016 the LVF and VFI have been in government buildings lobbying directly for the introduction of MUP 29 times. Now we don't know how many times they were there before this as the register was only created in 2016 also I would bet they coincidentally met TDs form all parties outside of Dail Eireann numerous times on this issue as well.

I think this specific entrance in the register is particularly damning tbh

According to them pubs sell good responsible alcohol everyone else sells bad irresponsible alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Was in lidl this morning , BTW yesterday they were selling their 99c pils for 50c. Today that can is 1.99. I suspect its 5 or more %.

My usual wiessbeir has gone from 1.30 to 1.99. My usual ipa has remained around the 1.80 Mark. Probally 4.5%.

Another ipa used to be 1.89 now 2.30ish probably 6%.

No wine of 12% under 7.50, I think used to be a few for 4euro.

I used to have a couple every night during lockdown but have gone off it almost completely. So pricing won't affect me .

I suppose before I might drink 15 cans/bottles at an average of 1.40 a pint a week. Those same cans now would be average 2.20 ...so about 12 quid a week.

I wonder will some of the cheaper beers like Dutch gold and the like be confined to history?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

The most interesting thing to me, is one of the drinks of choice for alcoholics and potentially a cohort of teenagers is a naggin of Vodka, I think it was around 5€ has rose to around 7/8€ that's not going to stop anything. If anything its going to cause more of an issue, if you can get two naggins or spirits cheaper than a few cans of beer. You'll have people usually that drink, beer or cider now fully switching to spirits and trust me if you have ever lived with alcoholism, you'll know that's a very very bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And realists know that some politicians are publicans, and others have family members who own them, and with the amount of landlords in the Dail surely a few of them have commercial interests in public houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SteM

Never mind MUP, the government should be looking at that German bottle/can deposit scheme. Expensive deposits that pretty much force people to return bottles and cans, that would improve the state of the country is the sort of thing government should be concerning themselves with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I suppose covid has closed some pubs doors for good. And I'll also suppose that alot of people used to going to pubs will have 'gotten out of the habit'. And this will close more pubs as will the incessant shift to online communication and entertainment.

As a local publican said to me...'there are no new drinkers coming through the ranks'

How much is a pub licence now 35k? Down from 80k a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So suddenly cans of Prazsky are 440ml now, bizarre. I f**king hate 440ml cans.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

August, allegedly. Legislation in place for the past few months now. I do wonder whether the deposit will be considered part of the price for MUP actually! Sell everything in 250ml cans to get 2x returns and reduce the total effective price... probably won't be to avoid that.

Still ~55k, cause off licences need to consume a pub licence. And hotels that want to serve outsiders. Also lots of restaurants get them to make it easier to do cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You see many here say that MUP is just a ploy to get people back in the pubs.

But they never concede that makes no sense based on what we have seen in the last 20 or so years.

The pubs are dying and have been for years.

Changed attitudes to alcohol consumption, tougher drink driving laws and the smoking ban have all impacted them, added to that people retiring and the next generation not interested in taking over the business, and that is before COVID.

So a measure as targeted as MUP is not going to bring people flocking back to pubs and I don't think there is anyone in the land who believes it would.

Sure the pub lobby are going to support it, because it in some way helps them and hinders the competition.

But people here are incorrect if they think every TD and Senator that supports MUP does not see any health benefits at all and that they are only supporting it for the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just because it will likely fail to get people back into the pubs doesn't mean that it isn't a ploy to get people back into the pubs. Both can be true.

I do agree with your final point that some TDs will genuinely have supported this for the health benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Billcarson

It won't affect me too much as I don't drink much, 3 cans of cider per week is my usual these days .

Still I think its a disgrace. The only silver lining is if it turns more people against ff and fg,then that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I don’t see what health benefits could be assumed from this, if anything it is going to make things worse. It reminds me of the time they got rid of 10 boxes of cigarettes - people were happy with 10 fags a day but that option was taken away and turned them in to 20 a day smokers. This is going to turn beer drinkers to spirits in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes it will mean SF are the winners in the next election but all parties and independents supported this, no one voted against it, which is truly bizarre given they are supposed to represent their constituents and every voter in the country would be firmly against this apart from a few oddballs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

From memory Sinn Fein and PBP were against it.

They didn’t think it went far enough and wanted the price per gram INCREASED even more!!

Advertisement