Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

kylith wrote: »
    But it won't be applied in pubs, will it? Which means that the place of purchase is relevant.

From what I understand, a minimum price will apply to a unit of alcohol regardless of where it is sold. That includes pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From what I understand, a minimum price will apply to a unit of alcohol regardless of where it is sold. That includes pubs.
    The minimum pricing is well below what pubs are already charging, so they will have no justification for increasing their prices at all. Only off-license prices will actually increase. Depending on the beer strength, it will be around 70-90 cents for 500ml - so craft beers should not get any more expensive either. It should only affect spirits when sold in shops, or maybe the very cheapest/nastiest ciders.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bnt wrote: »
    The minimum pricing is well below what pubs are already charging, so they will have no justification for increasing their prices at all. Only off-license prices will actually increase. Depending on the beer strength, it will be around 70-90 cents for 500ml - so craft beers should not get any more expensive either. It should only affect spirits when sold in shops, or maybe the very cheapest/nastiest ciders.

Not sure about those figures for off licence prices.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-price-alcohol-3688251-Nov2017/
    • A 500 ml can of Guinness — €1.66
    • 750 ml bottle of Jacob’s Creek classic Chardonnay — €7.52
    • 700 ml bottle of Gordon’s dry gin — €20.71
    • 700 ml bottle of Smirnoff Ice — €20.71
    • 700 ml bottle of Jameson whiskey — €22.09.
    • 500 ml can of Dutch Gold – €1.58.

You're right re: pubs not being impacted in practice as in pubs the proposed minimum unit pricing of 10 cent per gram of alcohol will mean the following:
    • Heineken will have a minimum unit price of €2.25
    • A pint of Budweiser will have a minimum unit price of €1.80
    • A pint of Bulmer’s will have a minimum unit price of €2.02.
    • A measure of Jameson whiskey will have a minimum unit price of €1.12
    • A measure of Huzzar vodka will have a minimum unit price of €1.05

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yep - I did my own calculations but mis-remembered what I found, so I checked it again and they match that article to within a few cents.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It will not effect only spirits sold in shops, or the very cheapest/nastiest ciders

Every single product at a given % will be forced to increase to the minimum

The likes of Bud, Carlsberg, Bulmers, Corona, Jameson, Powers, Paddy *insert popular so called premium brands* will have their mimimum prices increased too as will plenty of craft beers

In terms of 'premium brands' or craft beers the different will mainly be in terms of special offers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They’ll have zero justification, but you can guarantee that if MUP ever comes in, the price of a pint will rise the day it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

24 cans of Arthur for €20 in Tesco, time to fill my working class boots with cheap slabs and wrap my car around a lamp post before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Sidebar question, does minimum alcohol pricing affect the wholesale price?
    If a publican or restaurant is buying from a wholesaler, could it impact how much they have to pay?

I know there is anecdotal evidence of them buying direct from supermarket, so obviously that would be impacted.

A good question.

AFAIK, no, MUP does not apply to the wholesale price.

Now, if the retail price rises, the supplier/wholesaler will not want the retailer capturing all the extra margin.

So I suppose the supply/wholesale cost may rise, depending on the level of competition.

24 cans of Arthur for €20 in Tesco, time to fill my working class boots with cheap slabs and wrap my car around a lamp post before it's too late.

Dont forget to punch the garda that comes to arrest you. Its cans 21 - 24 to blame for that; and cans 13 - 20 for hitting the lamp post.
    If you had bought the number of cans 20e would get you under mup, you'd have been grand.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dont forget to punch the garda that comes to arrest you. Its cans 21 - 24 to blame for that; and cans 13 - 20 for hitting the lamp post.
    If you had bought the number of cans 20e would get you under mup, you'd have been grand.

On my seventh can now and the offie is only closed since 10:00. Will need the full fat Coke and Portuguese Rothmans to get through the day tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Correct in most cases. Occasionally pubs have ladies nights or promotions aimed at young people and the MUP may raise prices in those scenarios. For the most part, the pubs will probably charge more than the MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Correct in most cases. Occasionally pubs have ladies nights or promotions aimed at young people and the MUP may raise prices in those scenarios. For the most part, the pubs will probably charge more than the MUP.

There isn't a hope in hell of pub prices, even on promotional nights, being affected by MUP.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Skill Magill!

A pint of Beamish is €2.79 in Wetherspoon's.

Let's look at the minimum unit pricing legislation.

It says that 1 unit of alcohol must cost no less than €1. An Irish unit of alcohol is 10 grams of pure ethanol.

Beamish is 4.1% alcohol by volume with 568 ml in a pint. This means that there are 23.288 ml of ethanol. The density of ethanol is 0.789g/ml at STP, therefore there are 18.374232 grams of ethanol in a pint of Beamish, thus the minimum price has to be €1.84, €2.79 is way above this price.

A 500 ml can is only 68 ml less than a pint, the only ones that this'll mostly affect is off-licenses and shops.

Kristelnacht comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

By all accounts MUP is not nigh.

It was not signed into law as part of the bill today.

All the advertising and separation stuff was.

MUP will need it's own legislation when NI does the same apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

By all accounts MUP is not nigh.

It was not signed into law as part of the bill today.

All the advertising and separation stuff was.

MUP will need it's own legislation when NI does the same apparently

Could it be that all the MUP was a ruse to get the main producers on board which allowed the advertising and separation stuff to get through far more easily? I mean, cancer warnings on each bottle without so much as a wimper!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Could it be that all the MUP was a ruse to get the main producers on board which allowed the advertising and separation stuff to get through far more easily? I mean, cancer warnings on each bottle without so much as a wimper!

I think they can rest easy on the cancer warnings.
    The EU will put this back for discussion and Ireland will comply.

Our virtue signalling Government will be able to say they tried.
    Everyone happy.

The Germans have a "purity law" and our bunch of bright sparks want them to plaster cancer warnings on their bottles sold in Ireland.

Bad enough they want to do it to our own products.

So here I am 2 weeks on from filling my boots with cheap booze and I've demolished a grand total of 2 cans from 48. I think I need help.

So hear I am 2 weeks on from filling my boots with cheap booze and I've demolished a grand total of 2 cans from 48. I think I need help.

I could come over with a few of the lads...... it'd be no trouble :)

But seriously this just underlines how ridiculous it is to be addressing problem drinking at the point of purchase.

Buying drink never damaged anyone's health, unless you put your back out lifting it into the boot!

It's when and how people actually consume the drink that our Government needs to look at. But that's just too much trouble so we get the madness of MUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I see the morons want to try and bring forward legislation on MUP to have it in effect for Christmas now *****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

F34 wrote: »
    I see the morons want to try and bring forward legislation on MUP to have it in effect for Christmas now *****
    Interesting to see how they spin "health reasons" for this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

cadaliac wrote: »

I’m sure the journal will have an article telling us how great it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,509 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why? Surely Christmas being the peak off licence trade season makes it perfectly reasonable to bring it in before Christmas? (this is based on the acceptance of their argument)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

F34 wrote: »

Yeah apparently it's to stop supermarkets selling 'cheap' alcohol

As if €1 a can is cheap alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I highly doubt this report is true. Firstly, it originated in the Daily Fail. Secondly, I'm pretty sure they agreed that there'd be a lead time of one year between passing the bill and enforcing minimum pricing?

They could activate the below cost selling order with nearly immediate effect though... if they are that bothered.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why? Surely Christmas being the peak off licence trade season makes it perfectly reasonable to bring it in before Christmas? (this is based on the acceptance of their argument)

yes, of course, also based on the non-acceptance of their argument. However, we all know this is a financially driven decision (to introduce before Christmas) rather than a health driven decision.
    OK, I will rephrase, We all know , some believe that.....

I doubt it will happen and if it did it would trigger a mass exodus across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yes, of course, also based on the non-acceptance of their argument. However, we all know this is a financially driven decision (to introduce before Christmas) rather than a health driven decision.
    OK, I will rephrase, We all know , some believe that.....

But there is no decision to introduce MUP before Christmas

MUP is at least 2 years away.

The legislation signed last week made no provision for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Yep because they have to get us accustomed to change. Oh wait there is none of that just pure outright acceptance without critic.

• Advertisement

Apologies, it was mentioned here and I took it for granted .....
    Can anyone provide a definite time line?

Advertisement