Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Like it or not, marketing works. It may or may not work on you, but taking the population as a whole it does work. There's a reason Heineken is substantially dearer than Dutch Gold and it's not because of taxation or the ingredients.

Agreed re Heineken and most mainstream brands.

Craft beer is a little different though, particularly the Irish stuff, as the economics are just very different. They don't get anywhere near the economies of scale as the big international brands, so the average unit cost is just far higher. There's also the fact that they tend to attract much more excise as they're higher percentage than the macro lagers.

I do agreed that they'll probably still be priced at a premium to the bottom tier, but I think the gap will shrink significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ipso wrote: »
    Plus, you could sit for hours watching it ferment. Sometimes the inside of the carboy looks like that giant storm on Jupiter.

When I get good enough I'm moving to a glass or PET carboy (using a plastic bucket atm) just for this alone. Time lapses on YouTube make it look incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

On an industrial scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Amirani wrote: »
    Agreed re Heineken and most mainstream brands.

Craft beer is a little different though, particularly the stuff, as the economics are just very different. They don't get anywhere near the economies of scale as the big international brands, so the average unit cost is just far higher. There's also the fact that they tend to attract much more excise as they're higher percentage than the macro lagers.

I do agreed that they'll probably still be priced at a premium to the bottom tier, but I think the gap will shrink significantly.

while this is true in general microbreweries get 50% relief on excise duty for the beer they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

VinLieger wrote: »
    Private only healthcare has been proven to absolutely not work, America is the best/worst example of this.

You are all over the map with your opinions with each one being completely incompatible with the previous. Theres no question anymore that you are simply trolling.

Private healthcare works a treat as any true capitalist will tell you. Public and public/private mongrels are a total failure. Constant cribbing about our health service has gone on for as long as I can remember yet people are so wedded to idea of public involvement in healthcare that they cannot see that it is the reason for every failure. In fact, the only time they stop criticizing the health service is when total privatization is mentioned. This shows ideologue mass delusion is widespread in Irish society.

Returning to topic, you seem to be very much in favour of cheap booze and opposed to those of us who favour a MUP. I get that you probably enjoy a drink and like to get it cheap. In contrast, I and all of sobriety society will enjoy smug satisfaction at your expense when the MUP is introduced. That`s just how is is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Private healthcare works a treat as any true capitalist will tell you. Public and public/private mongrels are a total failure. Constant cribbing about our health service has gone on for as long as I can remember yet people are so wedded to idea of public involvement in healthcare that they cannot see that it is the reason for every failure. In fact, the only time they stop criticizing the health service is when total privatization is mentioned. This shows ideologue mass delusion is widespread in Irish society.

Returning to topic, you seem to be very much in favour of cheap booze and opposed to those of us who favour a MUP. I get that you probably enjoy a drink and like to get it cheap. In contrast, I and all of sobriety society will enjoy smug satisfaction at your expense when the MUP is introduced. That`s just how is is.

The most successful healthcare systems in the world are all public and goverment funded. Privatised healthcare doesn't work. The shambles that is the US healthcare system is a good example.

This isn't a matter of opinion. You are simply wrong. He's right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Saying private healthcare is the way forward is really a silly statement. The best healthcare systems are a mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The booze you refer to as "cheap" would be regarded as anything but cheap in most European countries - countries which have less problems with alcohol than Ireland. Do you "and all of sobriety society" have any idea of how you're being played for fools by the publicans?

Ireland does not have cheap booze compared to most of europe. That's a myth.

Ipso wrote: »
    On an industrial scale.

How do they manage to do it open like this (and not in a special laboratory-esque sterile room) and not get infections? O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How do they manage to do it open like this (and not in a special laboratory-esque sterile room) and not get infections? O_o

They market it as "unfiltered" and snap up some unsuspecting foodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Johnnycanyon

Perhaps when the Brits leave the EU people will be able to get all the cheap alcohol they want on duty free day trips to Hollyhead?

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

I would've thought that the biggest problem of alcohol abuse in Ireland these days isn't amongst those who can only afford to consume the cheapest of drink, but the middle class who sit down in the evenings after work for a glass of wine or a gin and tonic.

Balanadan wrote: »
    I would've thought that the biggest problem of alcohol abuse in Ireland these days isn't amongst those who can only afford to consume the cheapest of drink, but the middle class who sit down in the evenings after work for a glass of wine or a gin and tonic.

Yes but they're not the ones who have sessions which lead the city at night to be treated like a city and not a rural location where everything gets empty and quiet after dark, so naturally they're not the ones being targeted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Supposedly it used to be a common technique, Bigfoot is quite a strong beer so maybe once it gets going the alcohol fights of any nasties.

Kirby wrote: »
    The most successful healthcare systems in the world are all public and goverment funded. Privatised healthcare doesn't work. The shambles that is the US healthcare system is a good example.

This isn't a matter of opinion. You are simply wrong. He's right.

We could argue "he is", "he isn`t", all day but I prefer intelligent conversation. Now back to topic please.

The booze you refer to as "cheap" would be regarded as anything but cheap in most European countries - countries which have less problems with alcohol than Ireland. Do you "and all of sobriety society" have any idea of how you're being played for fools by the publicans?

Do you know what sobriety means?

The absence of a complete ban on all drug pushing/advertising from the purveyors of the drug known as alcohol speaks volumes for how serious this state is about tackling the social consequences of alcoholism. Not at all is the answer.

To actually give these drug dealers such high profile platforms to peddle their socially destructive propaganda beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Balanadan wrote: »

No, its the other way around. The middle class people with their g&t or glass of wine can handle their drink. Its the problem of the lower classes with their slabs of bargain basement price alcohol that mup is tackling. Different standards of education, culture, and self control leave the mup customer much more vulnerable to inflicting on themselves, and upon wider society, the harm of alcohol consumption.
    Having said that though, its all relative - any alcohol is harmful - so the middle classes sipping their Beaune has nothing to congratulate itself for. They are damaging their health too.
    But the mup legislation will still be effective in protecting the most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

No, its the other way around. The middle class people with their g&t or glass of wine can handle their drink. Its the problem of the lower classes with their slabs of bargain basement price alcohol that mup is tackling. Different standards of education, culture, and self control leave the mup customer much more vulnerable to inflicting on themselves, and upon wider society, the harm of alcohol consumption.
    Having said that though, its all relative - any alcohol is harmful - so the middle classes sipping their Beaune has nothing to congratulate itself for. They are damaging their health too.
    But the mup legislation will still be effective in protecting the most vulnerable.

"The middle classes" can handle their drink but the lower classes cant control themselves and are mad for their slabs of alcohol?! You wouldn't be a fan of stereotyping people at all now would ye?

Very possibly the most snobbish comment I've ever read on boards.:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"The middle classes" can handle their drink but the lower classes cant control themselves and are mad for their slabs of alcohol?! You wouldn't be a fan of stereotyping people at all now would ya?

Very possibly the most snobbish comment I've ever read on boards.:D:D:D:D

Without a doubt the snobbish thing I have ever read. What a thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Without a doubt the snobbish thing I have ever read. What a thing to say.

I reported it because I think it's a deliberate discriminatory and trolling comment. The mods obviously don't care.

Reporting that comment is a bit over the top. Must have hit a nerve.

Thats a trolling comment but saying only poor cheap excessive and cheap drink is not. Can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Reporting that comment is a bit over the top. Must have hit a nerve.

Yes stereotyping people based on their means really hits a nerve with me. It was an appalling comment and shouldn't be tolerated.

Yes and that's what i was commenting on. I was saying it was snobbish. I hate people slaging off other's over there means. It go's on a lot on these boards and is unwarranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"The middle classes" can handle their drink but the lower classes cant control themselves and are mad for their slabs of alcohol?! You wouldn't be a fan of stereotyping people at all now would ya?

Ah is it just me or it that not the attitude underlying this MUP legislation?
    You can drink as much as you want, once you can pay for it?
    It's the slabs of beer this legislation is after, not your cru Bordeaux.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's exactly what it means.

People who currently drink craft beer and fine wine will not pay a penny extra.
    Those who like a can of lager and a bottle of plonk from the supermarket will be hit.

Well off unaffected, less well off forced to modify their drinking or pay extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I reported it because I think it's a deliberate discriminatory and trolling comment. The mods obviously don't care.

Or maybe it's not that offensive.

Advertisement